The Student Room Group

Government & Politics Edexcel AS Revison And Exam Tips Needed please

Hey guys,

Im currently in sixth form studying English Lit, History, ICT, Governemnt & Politics and Citizenship.

I have my government & Politics Edexcel exam coming up and i could really do with some advice on how to revise for this subject or any exam techniques as im really struggling with this subject. :frown:

I find writing in this essay very hard and talking and elaborating on my points to a high grade and using examples though in my other subjects im very good at this.

My teacher is really not helpfull as he rushes through all the topics and hardly gives us any exam tips and what to do. He expects us to to do this our selves as "this is A levels" now, he has a very disciplined method on how to teach and veiws on teaching.

so i was wondering if any one out there has studied this subject or are currently studying this subject. Any form of help and advice will be appreciated very much

Thanks,
Roger
Reply 1
I'm doing GovPol on AQA so I'm not too sure what Edexcel specifically asks for but I suggest going on the Edexcel website and going through as many past papers as possible and reading through the mark scheme. With practice you'll find that there is a general fomula for answering each question (eg: definition, example, analysis). Also I find that note cards and spider diagrams help me to revise but it's really about trying out different methods any seeing which ones work for you! Good luck.
Reply 2
has anyone got any prediction of what may come up? i really do not have the time to revise all of it!
Reply 3
Original post by Pomee
has anyone got any prediction of what may come up? i really do not have the time to revise all of it!

Do you have past papers? I really have no clue what units you guys are doing so I can't look anything up for you, I'm doing unit 3 though. But, the usual principle is don't concentrate too much on the June 2010 paper topics, they will never come up, do some work on the stuff that came up in January 2010 and definetely all of the stuff before that, like June 2009, January 2009 and so on. Two of the same questions can come up within a year. At A level you really should have covered all of the topics in full detail, or you might find yourself failing.
Reply 4
Original post by BS x DyNaMiiczZ
Hey guys,

Im currently in sixth form studying English Lit, History, ICT, Governemnt & Politics and Citizenship.

I have my government & Politics Edexcel exam coming up and i could really do with some advice on how to revise for this subject or any exam techniques as im really struggling with this subject. :frown:

I find writing in this essay very hard and talking and elaborating on my points to a high grade and using examples though in my other subjects im very good at this.

My teacher is really not helpfull as he rushes through all the topics and hardly gives us any exam tips and what to do. He expects us to to do this our selves as "this is A levels" now, he has a very disciplined method on how to teach and veiws on teaching.

so i was wondering if any one out there has studied this subject or are currently studying this subject. Any form of help and advice will be appreciated very much

Thanks,
Roger

You Shud Revise At Least 3 Of The 4 Topics,
Bcz U Wont Know How Hard Or Easy The Different Questions
May Be. I Suggest Going Through The January Past Paper,
And Putting Effort Into Ur Preffered Topics.
And Mke Sure U Structure Ur 25Mark Answers< Very Important,
With Examples< In Order To Achieve High Grade!!

Hope That Helps:smile:
Is your exam on Thursdsay 13th? Mine is :/ Which topics are you doing?
Umm... tips... okay, learn 3 of the 4 topics in a lot of detail, that's what I'm doing. Except I'm not bothering with parties because the questions are ridiculous and we've been advised not to.
Learn the key definitions for the 5 mark question. Ie. if you're doing democracy, learn what a liberal democracy is, what a representative democracy is, what a direct democracy is & the definition of a referendum.
Use lots of relevant & up to date examples. Use your textbook, if you have one, for examples of certain things and statistics.
Read through your notes & write down the key details.
Do loads of past questions, they are often very similar.
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending