The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would have thought they all did tbh didn't realise they didn't
Reply 101
Hahaha I like how you specify dissection on dead people... :p:

Oxbridge, Nottingham, Sheffield come to mind.

Big discussion on prosection v. dissection, similar discussion to "what university is best?" or "PBL or traditional?" - comes down to personal preference, there are advantages and disadvantages to both.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Beska

Big discussion on prosection v. dissection, similar discussion to "what university is best?" or "PBL or traditional?" - comes down to personal preference, there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

thanks! but what's prosection?
Reply 103
Original post by Bellissima
thanks! but what's prosection?

Prosection is the other side of the coin to dissection - while dissection is cutting up a body yourself, prosection means looking at a sample (eg an arm) that already has been dissected by a skilled anatomist.
Original post by Beska
Prosection is the other side of the coin to dissection - while dissection is cutting up a body yourself, prosection means looking at a sample (eg an arm) that already has been dissected by a skilled anatomist.

ah ok, i think dissection would be better for me. do you think the unis that do dissection will change their courses to prosection between now and when you apply/after offers etc. and then while you're at the uni, if you get in?
Reply 105
ah ok, i think dissection would be better for me. do you think the unis that do dissection will change their courses to prosection between now and when you apply/after offers etc. and then while you're at the uni, if you get in?

Very unlikely tbh, but could happen I guess? Even more unlikely for those universities in which full body dissection are one of the key selling points - eg Nottingham.

Very unlikely that they will change. Prosection isn't all that bad. Aberdeen is not seen as a 'dissection' university but it is available later on in the course if you want.

We still get to rake around and 'get our hands dirty' with full cadavers and slices and individual legs and arms. So don't think that prosection means you just sit back and look, there is a lot of practical work :smile:
I think keele and bsms do it and YES on dead people!! :smile:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Very unlikely that they will change. Prosection isn't all that bad. Aberdeen is not seen as a 'dissection' university but it is available later on in the course if you want.

We still get to rake around and 'get our hands dirty' with full cadavers and slices and individual legs and arms. So don't think that prosection means you just sit back and look, there is a lot of practical work :smile:

that doesn't sound that bad then, if you aren't just looking. i don't think one of the places i want to apply to does dissection, so i'll still prob apply there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Beska

haha I was about to comment... "Just as well it's on dead people!"
that doesn't sound that bad then, if you aren't just looking. i don't think the place i want to apply to the most does dissection, so i'll still prob apply there.

Just looking is considered a sin, the whole point is that you actively examine and feel for yourself. If not then you might as well stay at home with the textbook.

One thing is for certain, it doesn't matter which method (and there are many) a university uses to teach anatomy, it will ensure you know and can recognise what you need to :smile:
Original post by Beska

Not at Oxford, though I think Cambridge do.

Dissection = you cut up the bodies over the course of the year (not at many medical schools).
Prosection = you look at specimens prepared by other people (Oxford do this, as do many schools).

I don't think anywhere teaches using animal anatomy - it wouldn't necessarily correspond all that well, and would be difficult to justify in terms of animal use. Practicals on anaesthetised animals for physiology is done, and I think there is more use of animals for surgeons' practical skills in the States.
Reply 112
Original post by Huw Davies
Not at Oxford, though I think Cambridge do.

Really? My apologies. When I was considering Oxford in 2008 I am sure they did. Oops!
Aside from the ones already mentioned, as far as I know Leeds and UEA do as well.
Original post by Beska
Really? My apologies. When I was considering Oxford in 2008 I am sure they did. Oops!

When I was doing preclinical in 2005-2008 they definitely didn't :wink:
Reply 115
Original post by Huw Davies
When I was doing preclinical in 2005-2008 they definitely didn't :wink:

:doh:
Reply 116
Original post by Beska

Prosection since at least 2002... :tongue:

Though dissection was 'optional' in a way.
- People could either sign up for more when we did anatomy - so go back out of hours - though I don't know anyone who was so keen to do more anatomy in their spare time that they took them up on this! Otherwise the anatomy teaching was a combination of orientating lecture, 'living anatomy' small group session, computer assisted learning session (don't diss too much - I always found animations quite helpful & they can be more realistic than the person holding and wiggling bits of body! :wink:) & then the traditional in the dissection room 'demonstrations' where we were in small groups (6-8 or so) around a body/prosections with a demonstrator - who ranged from surgical 'fellows' (normally junior fellows so Senior SHO/Regs interested in teaching/wanting to buff the CV) to anatomy department proper fellows (is Bow Tie Man still there?)

- Picking an anatomy-esque project or a phys/pharm project that required elements of dissection (though it might be quite reptitive on one bit!) for FHS.

I understand that some people are more learners by doing but I think the 'living anatomy' approach (bit tricky to properly explain without just doing it but the bits you do practising on each other - surface anatomy, the clinically relevant things like insertions/courses etc.) has been more relevant for me than dissection would have been but then I didn't want to be a surgeon. Also I thought dissection seemed relatively labour intensive with the chance of snipping/missing a crucial bit so preferred the idea of someone more skillful doing it in advance!
I did a stint in a DR (Cardiff) before I started Med-school

The guy that was essentially mentoring me, was very experienced (he was an ex surgeon, and retired after I finished working there)

Dissection is really good fun, and the closest you'll get to cutting living human flesh. I miss dissecting now (We work only on prosections)

Prosections are good, but best if it's still hands on, but you can learn similar amounts from pouring over an atlas.

Doing it yourself just makes it easier to remember imo. And with a good dissection guide (tells you what stuff is, and where to cut) learning to handle a scalpel and the other tools of the trade, the art of refracting the skin, etc.

invaluable.
Original post by Elles
People could either sign up for more when we did anatomy - so go back out of hours - though I don't know anyone who was so keen to do more anatomy in their spare time that they took them up on this!

I'm sure that's just something they say on the firm agreement that nobody will.
Would be stupid if they didn't.

Latest

Trending

Trending