The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 Exam - Tues 11'th January 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by shooby_doo
On the gap filling question
Did heamogoblin have an "attraction" for oxygen, or an "affinity" ?

Affinity I think.
Original post by Ambrosse
Affinity I think.

yea thats what i put, but thinking about it now, doesnt affinity in itself mean attraction to oxygen?
So an affinity for oxygen, would mean an attraction for oxygen, for oxygen lol if you know what i mean
Reply 462
No affinity just means that it has an attraction I believe, you would only use the word in a certain conext though but it doesnt just apply to oxygen.
Reply 463
Original post by Nima11
About the pathways the water takes throug the cell membrane - 2mark question .

I thought that was symplast and apoplast pathway?

Yeah symplast and vacuolar pathway across the membrane, going through channel proteins would be wrong even if the question asked how water moved through the phospholipid bilayer i think bc water molecules are an exception to that rule as theyre small enough to travel through the hydrophobic tails. but yeah symplast and vacuolar pathway:smile:
Reply 464
Original post by adilh301
Yeah symplast and vacuolar pathway across the membrane, going through channel proteins would be wrong even if the question asked how water moved through the phospholipid bilayer i think bc water molecules are an exception to that rule as theyre small enough to travel through the hydrophobic tails. but yeah symplast and vacuolar pathway:smile:

Would apoplast count? P:
what about the histamine causing more permeability question? i put more substances that would not usually pass out of the capillary would do so and that the scells in the tissues would become plasmolysed because the water potential of the tissue fluid would decrease and water would leave the cells in the tissue :smile:
Reply 466
Original post by Nima11
Would apoplast count? P:

it said in the question something about water not having to go through the membrane and taking the apoplast pathway, so i'm guessing no
Reply 467
Original post by adilh301

No, water travels across the cell membrane by diffusion as molecules small enough to pass right through charged area and also channel proteins and aquaporines to allow bulk movement of water, pinocytosis.

Apoplast and symplast just refers to water travelling through the root doesnt it.
Reply 468
Anyone already thinking about a resit?
surely, the movement of water molecule across a membrane is by osmosis? The net movement of water molecules from an area of high water potential to an area of low water potential across a selectively permeable membrane
Reply 470
I just guessed the cambium part of the stem cross-section, just checked on my revision book and I it was right!
Reply 471
Original post by blahblah772
surely, the movement of water molecule across a membrane is by osmosis? The net movement of water molecules from an area of high water potential to an area of low water potential across a selectively permeable membrane

In the text book it uses osmosis and diffusion interchangably, but I put diffusion across membrane, now im thinking the OCR markscheme may only allo osmosis because the like to suck like that. But it doesnt just pass through the membrane by osmosis.
Original post by alz-93
i just guessed the cambium part of the stem cross-section, just checked on my revision book and i it was right!

u
r
v

?
was u the middle?
Reply 474
Original post by ALZ-93
I just guessed the cambium part of the stem cross-section, just checked on my revision book and I it was right!

Dam I got that wrong, feel so annoyed, the question tried to trick you by pointing toward centre and I was rushing. Feel so foolish about that question
Original post by Ambrosse
In the text book it uses osmosis and diffusion interchangably, but I put diffusion across membrane, now im thinking the OCR markscheme may only allo osmosis because the like to suck like that. But it doesnt just pass through the membrane by osmosis.

I know what you mean man the ocr textbooks are truly awful... i only said osmosis but i described it in enough detail passive, high to low etc. hopefully get the marks :smile:
Reply 476
Original post by thinkofaname
and also what did u write down for the sturcutre of the lung part A was it Bronchi / Bronchus /bronchiole ?

I put bronchiole :confused:
Reply 477
I know what you mean man the ocr textbooks are truly awful... i only said osmosis but i described it in enough detail passive, high to low etc. hopefully get the marks :smile:

Yes if I get that marked wrong then im going to post text book back to author and tell them to give me my money back because them and their text book is a disgrace. :smile:
Reply 478
u
r
v

?

oh, :colondollar: , V which was cambium for the last blank space
Reply 479
what did people put for the working out magnification question? i always mess them up! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending