OCR Biology F211 Exam - Tues 11'th January 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
No. I still think to get an A you need 72 UMS out of 90

which this year maybe 75% you need 45/60

I think I got 50-52
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 661
The one about cell membranes was nothing to do with apoplast and symplast pathway, the way the worded it was to catch people out. You were supposed to talk about that water molecules are small enough to move through the phosopholipid bilayer passively by simple diffusion and it does not require transporter proteins or ATP...
Reply 662
Original post by Neil_Pietro
this paper was really hard! All the other past papers were so easy compared to this one! Who thinks that the grade boundaries might be lowered? There were questions in this paper that werent even in our syllabus, i mean, i dont know anything about white blood cells and that nonsense?! I was really angry when i came out of that exam!

No. I still think to get an A you need 72 UMS out of 90

which this year maybe 75% you need 45/60

I think I got 50-52
Reply 663
Original post by cor898
alright chill:colondollar:

lol.
Reply 664
Original post by tateco
The one about cell membranes was nothing to do with apoplast and symplast pathway, the way the worded it was to catch people out. You were supposed to talk about that water molecules are small enough to move through the phosopholipid bilayer passively by simple diffusion and it does not require transporter proteins or ATP...

I agree.
Reply 665
Original post by Neil_Pietro
this paper was really hard! All the other past papers were so easy compared to this one! Who thinks that the grade boundaries might be lowered? There were questions in this paper that werent even in our syllabus, i mean, i dont know anything about white blood cells and that nonsense?! I was really angry when i came out of that exam!

lol the paper was easy! I think the grade boundary might be lowered compared to previous years as many people I know, also found iy difficult.

Yeah, I thought it was VERY cheeky of OCR to put that question on Histamine in - it isn't even on the specification! You sort of had to know about the white blood cells tho :/ lol.

Don't worry, it's over now! phew! lol. :tongue:
does anyone know the grade boundary or any predictions??
Reply 667
the grade boundaries will be low trust me, how can they have so many variations to answers given by the candidates but o have difinite ones on there mark scheme without compensating for the fact that other answers might be right but not valued!:smile:
Reply 668
Original post by asem93
I agree.

I don't agree lol.

The question was so poorly phrased; examiners will most likely mention the ambiguity of the question in the report
For the alveoli question, the two features i put were
Thin/permeable membrane
and
High surface area to volume ratio

Will i get the marks for those two?
Reply 670
Original post by shooby_doo
For the alveoli question, the two features i put were
Thin/permeable membrane
and
High surface area to volume ratio

Will i get the marks for those two?

That sounds about right. Why didn't I put the surface area to volume ratio...its a really obvious one :frown: I put the thin membrane and then about the capillaries on the surface.
Original post by jndk109
the grade boundaries will be low trust me, how can they have so many variations to answers given by the candidates but o have difinite ones on there mark scheme without compensating for the fact that other answers might be right but not valued!:smile:

I also think there were some errors in the wording of some questions.
They were quite misleading and couldve had many answers
Reply 672
Original post by Sohailahmed
does anyone know the grade boundary or any predictions??

My predictions of the grade boundaries:

UMS

72-90 A
62-72 B
52-62 C
42-52 D
32-42 E

Raw Marks

45+ A
38-45 B
31-38 C
31-28 D
28-21 E
20- U
Reply 673
Original post by tateco

question: Describe the routes water takes across the cell surface membrane (2 marks).
Answer: it travels via osmosis because it can diffuse through without touching the lipid tails one route if you even call it a route.
Answer 2: it takes the symplast and vacuolar pathways with explanation two clear pathways of water molecules moving across membranes.
this question was so easy because it was practically taken from the book.
Page 73. OCR text book.
How does water move between cells?
When plant cells are touching each other molecules can pass from one cell to another. the water molecules will move from the cell with a higher water potential to the cell with the lower water potential.
if that were the question then YEP osmosis is 100% correct and defining the mechanism of osmosis would probably score the second mark.
What ROUTE can water take between cells?- sound familiar?
The apoplast pathway
The symplast pathway
The vacuolar pathway
symplast and vacuolar pathways both go across the cell surface membrane and are two different routes. which sounds more closely related to the question than simply the mechanism of osmosis.
The pathways are not limited to root/endodermis cells as some people state it and if you want to see this for yourself look at the book alarm bells should have been ringing when you specified one route in a question that stated "routes" but yeah you'll probably reply with some flawed argument that i wont be bothered to reply to no offence :s-smilie:, but it IS only 2 marks and osmosis could score you one mark.
Original post by shooby_doo
I also think there were some errors in the wording of some questions.
They were quite misleading and couldve had many answers

That is quite normal with OCR exams, the wording is quite confusing. What can we do? Nothing
Reply 675
I'm thinking, that because this paper had a few grey areas which most people would not have got (I'm thinking the plant question was quite difficult, and the last question), that the grade boundary would be around, or just above the mock paper we had, which was June 2010 (41 A, 35 B). As a result, I'd expect A to be 40-42, B to be 34-36. 100% UMS will probably be around 48-50.
Reply 676
Original post by tateco

I thought water molecules used channel proteins to move across the membrane... they're polar so they can't just go directly through the phospholipid bilayer as they would have to pass the hydrophobic (polar) tails ?? :confused:
Reply 677
Original post by ak137
lol the paper was easy! I think the grade boundary might be lowered compared to previous years as many people I know, also found iy difficult.

Yeah, I thought it was VERY cheeky of OCR to put that question on Histamine in - it isn't even on the specification! You sort of had to know about the white blood cells tho :/ lol.

Don't worry, it's over now! phew! lol. :tongue:

the question you had to answer was in the specification you just had to use your knowledge to apply it.
-Cell signalling for the first one
- something related to tissue fluid/water potential for the second one.
a really easy paper just really varied answers across the paper.
Reply 678
Anyone get the question about cutting the stem immediately before putting it into water?? I made up a bunch of rubbish for this question :/
Reply 679
Reading all of your replies i feel a bit better cause i know what stuff i got right and wrong! but still, that was an annoying paper, NOTHING about the heart which my teacher said would come up. Just flippin plants plants PLANTS! Was tough, but some q's were okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending