The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

SHIIITTT Tommorow :'( This will decide which offers I accept... Think I'll be revising all day.

(chapter 3 Enduring Love notes to follow)
Reply 301
Original post by OneInSolidarity

Original post by OneInSolidarity
SHIIITTT Tommorow :'( This will decide which offers I accept... Think I'll be revising all day.

(chapter 3 Enduring Love notes to follow)

best way to deal with nerves? :frown: im scared...
really need an A in this resit ..
Reply 302
OMG! i can't believe the English resit exam is tomorrow...i havent revised yet, probably gonna spend the whole day today revising. I haven't even re-read my texts only half of Enduring Love...oh gosh...EPIC FAILURE AWAITS ME!! I got an 'A' in my coursework but a 'C' in the exam and came out with a 'C' :s-smilie: I mark away from a 'B', seriously regret putting in a resit...all this stress for what reason, one mark! ohhh well.

Anyone doing Enduring Love, The Great Gatsby, Tennyson or Keats?????

:smile:
Reply 303
Original post by TheTinman
best way to deal with nerves? :frown: im scared...
really need an A in this resit ..

I'm finding the best way I'm dealing with my nerves is by making sure I know exactly what they want in each question. Then, even if they throw a completely random question I'll be able to make sure I at least cover all of the things they want even if it's at a basic level.

Ai) AO2
Aii) AO1, AO3, AO4
B) AO1, AO2, AO3

I read in one of the examiner reports that it's not so much what you know about all of the texts but how you apply your knowledge about aspects of narratives to the texts.

You'll be fine :yes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 304
Original post by icklepixie

I would just like to say to everyone taking the exam tomorrow, whether it be your first time, or a re-sit (like me), good luck! First timers, it's really early in your course, there is no need to panic, just take the exam as if it is just a way of proving yourself and how amazing you all are. For all you re-sitters, we know what went wrong last time (I panicked and wrote a whole lot of rubbish:s-smilie:), and we know what to expect. Even if they throw us a stupid question that we aren't expecting, just take a deep breath and you know all about your texts so just be awesome and go for it! As long as we stick to what AQA ask, there is no way we can lose! GO TEAM ENGLISH LIT!!!!! :elefant::elefant::elefant:

Oh, and an awesome tip from my psychology teacher, read all the questions you are going to do first. Then, while you are writing one answer you brain is psychologically mulling over the other questions and thinking what to write!!! :flower2:

Good luck and hope this helps!!:grouphugs:

Aw, that's so nice! Good Luck to you too :smile:
Reply 305
Original post by Genocidal
Personally I would go for the green light which also flashes so you can say something about that. And combine the valley of ashes and doctor ecklesburg. Representing god looking down on a world plagued by social decay in the form of the desolate landscape of the valley of ashes.

Original post by dyhtps
I would do as genocidal said, the green light and then the VoA with Doctor Eck's :yes:

Nerves :emo: Although am I right in thinking that even if you wrote complete babble it's hitting the AOs that count? So for different interpretations you could just make up some random **** that no one probably thinks :shifty:

Just finished my History and Psychology revision for today (Three exams in three days :shot:) Now to work on English for the next 12 or so hours...

Thanks guys, I think if symbolism comes up I will focus solely on the Green light as I've got a truckload of symbolism on Browning's poetry. Though apart from Mathematics I have no idea for 'The Curious Incident...'

dythps- A past poster told me that its not necessary to state the group the interpretation stems from (e.g. feminist) but to include a different interpretation. So yeh, I'll be making up a few as well...:smile:
Reply 306
Original post by adeola93

Anyone doing Enduring Love, The Great Gatsby, Tennyson or Keats?????

I'm doing Gatsby and Keats.

This is a stupid question, but with symbolism in Gatsby, I can talk about Dr. Eck and the VoA but I don't know how I'd be talking abou the green light. What sorta thing can I say?

My notes from last year are rubbish as I didn't really understand what I was doing until a couple weeks before the end of the course... Real helpful when you're resitting and have very few notes!
Original post by casio99
Thanks guys, I think if symbolism comes up I will focus solely on the Green light as I've got a truckload of symbolism on Browning's poetry. Though apart from Mathematics I have no idea for 'The Curious Incident...'

dythps- A past poster told me that its not necessary to state the group the interpretation stems from (e.g. feminist) but to include a different interpretation. So yeh, I'll be making up a few as well...:smile:

Chris curls up into a ball in the train station to shut out the urban world which is a stance that is symbolic to show how socially inept Chris is. Other intepretations include the fact that during this urban scene everything seems disordered which is against the very fabric of which Chris and his life is built on.
Original post by Mizikei
I'm doing Gatsby and Keats.

This is a stupid question, but with symbolism in Gatsby, I can talk about Dr. Eck and the VoA but I don't know how I'd be talking abou the green light. What sorta thing can I say?

My notes from last year are rubbish as I didn't really understand what I was doing until a couple weeks before the end of the course... Real helpful when you're resitting and have very few notes!

The green light is at the end of Daisy's pier which represents her and Gatsby reaching towards the light represents Gatsby and his hope to be with her. The fact that is flashing can be interpreted as a fading hope.

The colour green is also repeated in various forms such as when it rains during Gatsby and Daisy's first meeting which again can be attributed to hope And "the fresh green-breast of the new world". Readers will recognise the repeating of this colour as hope throughout the book.
Original post by casio99
Thanks guys, I think if symbolism comes up I will focus solely on the Green light as I've got a truckload of symbolism on Browning's poetry.

What symbolism have you got for Browning?
Reply 310
Anyone got an ideas for a section B question of symbolism.

Great Gatsby:
Valley of Ashes
Eyes of T.J Eckleberg
The Green light Gatsby is reaching for

But what about The Curious Incident? Has anyone got any ideas fro symbols used in this novel?
Reply 311
I would love for Chapter 1 or 7 to come up for Great Gatsby, preferably chapter 7 :gah:
Reply 312
Original post by Jen_17
But what about The Curious Incident? Has anyone got any ideas fro symbols used in this novel?

I can't think of anything at the moment :/ I've just emailed my teacher though, so I'll pass on anything helpful :smile:
Reply 313
Original post by Mizikei
I can't think of anything at the moment :/ I've just emailed my teacher though, so I'll pass on anything helpful :smile:

Thank you :smile:

I was thinking about symbolism but to me these just sound like representations e.g
LONDON - search for independance and for his mother
DIGRESSION - in reality as humans nothing can be obtained as the truth
ANIMALS - symbol of Christopher's passion and love for animals he can understand them better than he can humans

What do you think? Not really symbols are they??
Chapter 3 notes for Enduring Love.
I'd actually hate to get this chapter, there is little to talk about until the end. Also couldn't find any quotes to show Joe's bias narration - something I'm kind of relying on to hit the marks for form.

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 315
I'm resitting it tomorrow (Great Gats, Birdsong, Auden, Hardy) and I got a D on the exam first time round. I got my paper remarked and sent back to me and nothing changed, my teacher looked over my paper and saw the examiner kept writing "AOs" and "Relevance" - my teacher said what I had wrote was insightful and brilliant but did not meet the mark scheme so I got the grade I did. We were taught to avoid AOs as they "should come naturally" unfortunately this did not hold up. The other english group at school (who were taught AOs) did much better and got the As they needed (on average, one person in our group did spectacularly despite not knowing the AOs and wanting to be a dentist). So I've just been doing practice papers and sticking to the AOs for each question.

Aa - AO2 only (Form Structure Language)
Ab - AO1 AO3 AO4 (Writing) (Alternative Interpretation) (Context)
B - AO1 AO2 AO3 (See Above)

I got a B on the coursework and a C at AS but all I really want from English Lit is a B so if I can get a B on this exam (doing the most basic of AOs) then I should be fine.

CMON B GRADE
Reply 316
Does anyone has any notes on Enduring Love? Im finding it really hard to revise for. It seems to be the least likely of the english lit exam books as there isnt much hidden symbolism or characterisation etc. And I dont get the destination of it or the point really.

Any help would be really appreciated!
Reply 317
Just heard back from my teacher. He says he can't think of any symbolism in Curious Incident and that he thinks a question on symbolism is unlikely. Looks like if it does come up, I'll definitely be doing Curious for Sect. A. :s-smilie:
Reply 318
Original post by Mizikei
J he thinks a question on symbolism is unlikely. Looks like if it does come up, I'll definitely be doing Curious for Sect. A. :s-smilie:

:eek:

I hope this wont be the case... I've spent loads of time on symbolism!
:banghead:
Reply 319
Original post by amyyy24
:eek:

I hope this wont be the case... I've spent loads of time on symbolism!
:banghead:

Awh! Don't suppose you do Curious do you?
If it doesn't come up, I'm sure you can still use it anyways :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending