The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thefirstnotlastsamurai
I'm pretty curious to see what named poems they give and what section B questions there are :colondollar: will they have seen our prayers on the tsr for symbolism and answered them or thought let's really do them in and give them voices.

Whatever happens - there's always june :wink:

I don't really want symbolism :P!! Not worked on it much :O
I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE Setting (PLLLEEAASE AQA PLEEAAASEE)

If I think I've failed this exam I'll start the thread for the June exam :wink:
Original post by thefirstnotlastsamurai
I'm pretty curious to see what named poems they give and what section B questions there are :colondollar: will they have seen our prayers on the tsr for symbolism and answered them or thought let's really do them in and give them voices.

Whatever happens - there's always june :wink:

Section B will be on Character, bet you.
Reply 422
Original post by awais590

Character came June 09 though....

Symbolism, openings, Setting. If one of those comes up, I'll enjoy writing the exam tomorrow.

Oh, nvm noticed you were being sarcastic lol :P good luck everyone
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by awais590

Wouldn't mind that at all :biggrin:

Don't think it will be though :frown: Have a feeling that's come up before. Also narrators was last year which was pretty similar.
Reply 424
Original post by OneInSolidarity
LOADS of AO4 In Enduring Love :biggrin:
-A theme is religion v. science.
In modern society the overtly religious are regarded as 'pushy' and people are often sceptical due to extremism etc. leading to the reader being wary of Jed from the off. In comparison Joe has a scientific nature, often seen as the opposition to religion. Foreshadows the conflict they have. Society today is built upon and places alot of trust in Scientific research, brining the reader closer to Joe. However some readers may feel alienated by alot of the scientific jargon he uses, causing the opposite effect to occur.

-Homosexuality.
Whilst our opinion of homosexuals is rapidly changing many are still against them, or in the most case at least not IN favour of them. This creates a subliminal, dislike/mistrust of Jed as soon as he calls and says 'I love you'.
Joe again is the opposite - in a heterosexual relationship, thus gaining the support and sympathy of the majority.

-Relationship breakdown
In modern times divorces etc. are becoming more and more common. Most people have at least been affected by a break up in some way, thus will share some of Joe's pain when he goes through this. On the other hand Jed is causing the split, thus will be subjected to the readers dislike, as he is associated with bringing about a pain that the reader themselves knows in the real life.

Hope this helps :smile:

This has been so so helpful thanks!

Since it is a post-modern novel, could I also speak about post-modernism in relation to Joe e.g. majority of post modernist thinkers were atheist/agnostic who promoted the rationalisation of human life. Although it's really difficult to understand the movement :/
Reply 425
Reply 426

useful though haha..brushing up on the things already known :')
Reply 427
Right! Who's up for some last minute revision? =)

Im doing:

Section A
The Great Gatsby

Section B
Enduring Love
Browning Poems
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Reply 428
What would you say the message of great gatsby is?

I know it, just can't think of a way to formulate it into words :emo:
Original post by dyhtps
What would you say the message of great gatsby is?

I know it, just can't think of a way to formulate it into words :emo:

i'm not sure if this is correct, but i think the novel revolves around Fitzgerald's disgust for the 1920's and corruption of the American Dream more than the charecters, in a way that Gatsby is arguably the central charecter in this novel, however does not appear properly til chapter 3 and even then we dont know much about him, and up to this point Fitzgerald expresses his feelings for the emptiness of th 1920s

So personally i think that rather than the novel being about the charecters and Gatsby, its always important to show how the charecters link to this era because that is Fitzgerald's initial message.
Reply 430
Original post by marlon.brando
i'm not sure if this is correct, but i think the novel revolves around Fitzgerald's disgust for the 1920's and corruption of the American Dream more than the charecters, in a way that Gatsby is arguably the central charecter in this novel, however does not appear properly til chapter 3 and even then we dont know much about him, and up to this point Fitzgerald expresses his feelings for the emptiness of th 1920s

So personally i think that rather than the novel being about the charecters and Gatsby, its always important to show how the charecters link to this era because that is Fitzgerald's initial message.

I love that view!

Ta :h:

I'm going to stop revising at 10.45 and just concentrate on relaxing until the exam which starts at 2 :afraid:

Good luck everyone, hope I won't be seeing any of you in the june thread! :p:
Symbolism in Enduring Love? Help!
Ugh, my head hurts. I haven't prepared. I have another exam tomorrow and then more next week.

Sod it. Third retake in the summer it is.
Original post by atiqa93
Right! Who's up for some last minute revision? =)

Im doing:

Section A
The Great Gatsby

Section B
Enduring Love
Browning Poems
Rime of the Ancient Mariner

I'm DOING THE EXACT SAME ONES! lol...which chapter do you think will come up for Gatsby in Section A part a?
Reply 434
same

Remember to talk about the reader and authors intentions

The reader is vicarious in a first person narrative

I'm doing Hardy, Browning, Hosseini and Fitzgerald

Good luck everyone :biggrin:
Reply 435
message of Gatsby

to show how the American Dream is fallible and impossible to reach no matter how hard one tries to achieve it

you can also read a Marxist approach to it, no matter how one tries to break free of their socio-economic status it doesn't succeed, e.g. Daisy and Gatsby

Daisy especially succumbs to this as she remains with Tom Buchanan

Hence why the novel is considered a socio-political satire.
Reply 436
Remember to talk about LANGUAGE, FORM and STRUCTURE (AO1) for Section A part a that's how you get top marks no need for intro just get straight in there

Section A part b is AO1, AO3 and AO4

Section B is AO1, AO2 and AO3

Always show evidence for your points and how they shape meanings in the text

for Section B you don't necessarily have to compare the texts, you can talk about them separately but you should EXPLORE CONNECTIONS between texts, e.g. if you're comparing Browning, Hardy and Hosseini you could talk about how those three authors use the first person narrative and what effects that has
Original post by thecat23
message of Gatsby

to show how the American Dream is fallible and impossible to reach no matter how hard one tries to achieve it

you can also read a Marxist approach to it, no matter how one tries to break free of their socio-economic status it doesn't succeed, e.g. Daisy and Gatsby

Daisy especially succumbs to this as she remains with Tom Buchanan

Hence why the novel is considered a socio-political satire.

Wait... huh? Is that the actual question? 0_o
Reply 438
Original post by InspiredEmma
What can I write for AO4 in Browning?! AHH!

All you can say really is that Browning spent a lot of time in Italy and had deep admiration for Italian history

His interest in the Medici family is shown in 'My Last Duchess,' and in 'Fra Lippo Lippi'

Browning was interested in the extremities of human nature, which is also shown in 'Poriphyra's Lover'
Reply 439
Original post by StakedSalmon
Wait... huh? Is that the actual question? 0_o

No its just ideas that I thought of depending on the question that we get

someone here asked about the message of the novel so I was just answering that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending