The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work Canada

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lazyswot
Anyone know when the Bunac Work Canada for 2011/2012 is opening? There's no information yet on the website because it hasn't opened, and I can't really go by last year's info cos I think some things have changed, like the parameters for qualifying as a student. Also, I don't know if I need to get a new police certificate cos I have one but it's from January 2010. :s-smilie:

They have been teasing us on Twitter the last couple of days saying its coming very soon. There is a new direct route where you can apply to the Canadian High Commission, which opens on Tuesday, so I imagine BUNAC will follow that and open their scheme on Tuesday. As for police certificate you will need to apply for a new one I suspect. I've seen somewhere that it needs to be no older than 6 months :frown:
Reply 161
Work Canada has officially opened!!! It's been open 1o minutes and I've already applied and paid, officially on the programme. Excited now! :biggrin:
Going to send off for my new police certificate and figure out what other stuff I need to get together for the next step in the application tomorrow. :smile:
Work Canada has officially opened!!! It's been open 1o minutes and I've already applied and paid, officially on the programme. Excited now! :biggrin:
Going to send off for my new police certificate and figure out what other stuff I need to get together for the next step in the application tomorrow. :smile:

:five: me too! I'm so excited, but so nervous at the same time!
Reply 163
It seems to be quite popular this year, I decided to go with Bunac just to get one reserved and some breathing space to get all the other documents sorted.

I'm so excited!:biggrin:
Reply 164
Congrats guys! I am debating whether to use Bunac now as am worried the Visas will all run out.

When are you planning to head out to Canada? I think I will go after August (prob between august and october) as want/need to stay in my current job a bit longer.
Original post by shoegirl
Congrats guys! I am debating whether to use Bunac now as am worried the Visas will all run out.

When are you planning to head out to Canada? I think I will go after August (prob between august and october) as want/need to stay in my current job a bit longer.

If you don't have all the bits and pieces together (proof of funds, police check etc) then apply with BUNAC. The IEC route requires you to have all that together on submitting your application. I can tell you straight away that if you don't shell out for the premium police check service, your police check wont get back to you for a minimum of two weeks.
Reply 166
Hmmmm, I would be quite surprised if the 5,000 visas run out in like a week or something. That would be pretty insane. Mine isn't going to be submitted for at least another week or so, but there's no way I'm paying £200 'just in case.'

It would be a real shame if they ran out in next month as anyone who didn't know that the applications opened in January would have no chance. I wish it was like the NZ and Aus ones - they don't have a limit so you can apply all year round, and it's all done online and you find out the next day.
Original post by gemini89
Hmmmm, I would be quite surprised if the 5,000 visas run out in like a week or something. That would be pretty insane. Mine isn't going to be submitted for at least another week or so, but there's no way I'm paying £200 'just in case.'

It would be a real shame if they ran out in next month as anyone who didn't know that the applications opened in January would have no chance. I wish it was like the NZ and Aus ones - they don't have a limit so you can apply all year round, and it's all done online and you find out the next day.

I dont think anyone really knows. But considering this is technically a new scheme it does open up the possibility for those who have already used their 1 time visa to put in a new application.
Reply 168
Pfft... if I don't get to go to Canada, I guess it'll be New Zealand. Still waiting on my police check form.
Reply 169

Are you managing to access your "personalised application kit"? It keeps saving a .php file here, I probably have to try at uni or something
Reply 170
Original post by BillyM
Are you managing to access your "personalised application kit"? It keeps saving a .php file here, I probably have to try at uni or something

Yeah it worked for me. Hope you get it sorted soon :smile:

I've just had to close my HSBC account because they refused to stamp either a statement or the proof of funds form - so fun trip around town tomorrow awaits, trying to find a bank who's actually willing to use a stamp :rolleyes:
Yeah it worked for me. Hope you get it sorted soon :smile:

I've just had to close my HSBC account because they refused to stamp either a statement or the proof of funds form - so fun trip around town tomorrow awaits, trying to find a bank who's actually willing to use a stamp :rolleyes:

Judging by a few other forums... no-one. I'm with HSBC, I've emailed them earlier so just waiting on a response on what I need to do. The recurring theme seems to be that we will need to send it off to the head office. A couple of people have been lucky with the odd bank here or there signing off stuff.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 172
Original post by ChrisBan
Judging by a few other forums... no-one. I'm with HSBC, I've emailed them earlier so just waiting on a response on what I need to do. The recurring theme seems to be that we will need to send it off to the head office. A couple of people have been lucky with the odd bank here or there signing off stuff.

It's absolutely ridiculous.....really not liking UK banks recently, as my Canadian boyfriend is unable to get a bank account at all as he does not have proof of address. Besides, I don't know why the High Commission is being so specific about the stamp thing, as for most UK visa renewals a normal statement (that has the bank's logo at the top) will do. Really frustrating. Thanks for the heads up that its not just HSBC though. Luckily, Brighton is pretty big so I have quite a few banks and branches to try.
It's absolutely ridiculous.....really not liking UK banks recently, as my Canadian boyfriend is unable to get a bank account at all as he does not have proof of address. Besides, I don't know why the High Commission is being so specific about the stamp thing, as for most UK visa renewals a normal statement (that has the bank's logo at the top) will do. Really frustrating. Thanks for the heads up that its not just HSBC though. Luckily, Brighton is pretty big so I have quite a few banks and branches to try.

Any luck?
Reply 174
Original post by ChrisBan
Any luck?

Not really. None of the banks I visited had a 'bank seal' (except at head office) and if I opened a bank account with them and deposited the required money, they wouldn't be able to produce a statement for 28 days, so that wouldn't work either.
So.......I went back to Nationwide who I already have an account with (they don't have a bank seal full stop because they're a building society) and deposited my money from HSBC. Someone signed the proof of funds form, stamped it with the only stamp they have instead of the bank seal (which is only a stamp with their address on it). I also got a bank statement printed out, which they signed too, and I'll have my debit card photocopied, as the bank statement just has my account number, not even my name on it. That'll have to do!
If it gets rejected then, oh well, I tried my best......at least I won't have to pay the £100 application fee if it gets rejected!!
So pretty much, it's all based on luck - which bank you're with, and whether your branch has a bank seal/is willing to stamp a statement.
Not really. None of the banks I visited had a 'bank seal' (except at head office) and if I opened a bank account with them and deposited the required money, they wouldn't be able to produce a statement for 28 days, so that wouldn't work either.
So.......I went back to Nationwide who I already have an account with (they don't have a bank seal full stop because they're a building society) and deposited my money from HSBC. Someone signed the proof of funds form, stamped it with the only stamp they have instead of the bank seal (which is only a stamp with their address on it). I also got a bank statement printed out, which they signed too, and I'll have my debit card photocopied, as the bank statement just has my account number, not even my name on it. That'll have to do!
If it gets rejected then, oh well, I tried my best......at least I won't have to pay the £100 application fee if it gets rejected!!
So pretty much, it's all based on luck - which bank you're with, and whether your branch has a bank seal/is willing to stamp a statement.

Ah I'm sure you'll be fine! I'm with HSBC so it will be interesting to see what they say! I'm going in with as much info/ID as possible and see where it gets me!
Reply 176
Bunac don't seem to be doing as much for you this year. We've got to apply for the visa ourselves directly with the Canadian High Commission. :s-smilie:
I've sent off the stuff for my police check form already, but bunac says the next step is to get some info/fill in some stuff from the canadian high commission website, and to download some forms from the bunac website. I'm getting confused about which things i have to do when, and which information i have to get from someone before i can fill in another form to send to someone else!!
Has anyone done the step after applying to bunac and sending off for the police check form, where you follow the link in an email bunac send you to another form you have to fill in on the canadian high commission website to get a "personalised application kit"? In that form you have to specify a province in canada, and I'm worried about that. I dont know what province I'm going to yet, it depends where i find a job! And I thought the point was you could travel around?? Or is it just what province you'll be flying to initially? Even then, I don't know if it's toronto or vancouver I'm going to, and I don't want to burn my bridges so soon... :frown:

Help?
Reply 177
Bunac don't seem to be doing as much for you this year. We've got to apply for the visa ourselves directly with the Canadian High Commission. :s-smilie:
I've sent off the stuff for my police check form already, but bunac says the next step is to get some info/fill in some stuff from the canadian high commission website, and to download some forms from the bunac website. I'm getting confused about which things i have to do when, and which information i have to get from someone before i can fill in another form to send to someone else!!
Has anyone done the step after applying to bunac and sending off for the police check form, where you follow the link in an email bunac send you to another form you have to fill in on the canadian high commission website to get a "personalised application kit"? In that form you have to specify a province in canada, and I'm worried about that. I dont know what province I'm going to yet, it depends where i find a job! And I thought the point was you could travel around?? Or is it just what province you'll be flying to initially? Even then, I don't know if it's toronto or vancouver I'm going to, and I don't want to burn my bridges so soon... :frown:

Help?

I'm applying direct to the High Commission, but have already filled out the same form. I think the province question is just to get an idea of where people may be heading - they're not going to hold you to it! It's probably for statistical reasons. Don't panic!
Reply 178
I'm applying direct to the High Commission, but have already filled out the same form. I think the province question is just to get an idea of where people may be heading - they're not going to hold you to it! It's probably for statistical reasons. Don't panic!

Phew! Thanks! :smile: I think the whole application process is exactly the same whichever way you apply this year, except if you apply via Bunac you have to add an extra document or two to the pile as well. So really it makes it more complicated! I'm sure last year Bunac did more of the work... :frown:

Anyway, at least this way I know I'll actually get a visa, so that calms down the stress a bit even if it does add to the paperwork!!
Reply 179
Phew! Thanks! :smile: I think the whole application process is exactly the same whichever way you apply this year, except if you apply via Bunac you have to add an extra document or two to the pile as well. So really it makes it more complicated! I'm sure last year Bunac did more of the work... :frown:

Anyway, at least this way I know I'll actually get a visa, so that calms down the stress a bit even if it does add to the paperwork!!

Yeah, it's all changed, and to my advantage cos then I can save some money! It does seem odd to me that BUNAC is literally using the exact same application, I'm surprised they didn't have a slightly different one or something - but I guess the Canadians just wanted everything a standard way. :smile:

When are you leaving? Sorry if you've answered that on the thread before!

Quick Reply

Latest