The Student Room Group

Eligible for student finance after living abroad?

After finishing my history degree I have decided to go and live and work in Canada for two years. I have a working holiday visa and will be moving around Canada working at various places around the country over the 24 months. When I return I’m considering doing a nursing degree (possibly paediatric nursing). I know you are eligible for a second degree in nursing through student finance, but will living abroad for 2 years affect that?
Original post by Glyoung66
After finishing my history degree I have decided to go and live and work in Canada for two years. I have a working holiday visa and will be moving around Canada working at various places around the country over the 24 months. When I return I’m considering doing a nursing degree (possibly paediatric nursing). I know you are eligible for a second degree in nursing through student finance, but will living abroad for 2 years affect that?

Hi Glyoung66,

Yes, if you are a UK national, you must be living in the UK for 3 years immediately prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course. If you do not meet this, it can be considered as a temporary absence if you are able to provide evidence that shows that you were explicitly there for a temporary period. As this would be reviewed on a case by case basis, you would need to provide this evidence to be reviewed before your eligibility can be confirmed. You can provide your temporary accommodation and employment with a cover letter or UK bank statements showing that you were maintained a link to the UK by still having outgoings etc. You can upload this to your account for review. Our current timescales are approximately 13 working days, with subject to change depending on our current volumes.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Glyoung66,

Yes, if you are a UK national, you must be living in the UK for 3 years immediately prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course. If you do not meet this, it can be considered as a temporary absence if you are able to provide evidence that shows that you were explicitly there for a temporary period. As this would be reviewed on a case by case basis, you would need to provide this evidence to be reviewed before your eligibility can be confirmed. You can provide your temporary accommodation and employment with a cover letter or UK bank statements showing that you were maintained a link to the UK by still having outgoings etc. You can upload this to your account for review. Our current timescales are approximately 13 working days, with subject to change depending on our current volumes.

Thanks, Clare

The working holiday visa only allows you to stay in that country for 24 months, would that in itself be considered proof that it was temporary?
Original post by Glyoung66
The working holiday visa only allows you to stay in that country for 24 months, would that in itself be considered proof that it was temporary?

Hi Glyoung66,

This would be confirmed by our assessors along with your cover letter explaining the nature of your absence from the UK. As advised, it is dealt with on a case by case basis, therefore we cannot confirm it it will be accepted until you provide your evidence. I have advised of the type of evidence we would normally accept.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending