The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1800
Original post by adam0311
38% of trainees come from Oxbridge
65% of trainees come from the top 10
Only 11.7% come from outside the top 20

While its nice and dandy to think a first/high 2:1 from any uni will get you a TC in the MC...as you can see your chances diminish the lower you go.

Where's the source for this? Seems a bit bizarre to me as 38% + 65% + 11.7% = 114.7% :confused:
Original post by High As A Kite
How strict are MC firms when it comes to University background? Surely, obtaining a 1st or even at 2:1 somewhere outside the top 10, but inside the top 20ish would not rule you out?

I know there are around 34% Oxbridge grads in MC firms; but i understand it's for obvious reasons.

Your chances would be considerably low, sorry to be a downer :frown:

The thing is there's more to the legal world than just the magic circle. There's the silver circle, and loads of high flying law firms below that and across the country. The MC isn't the only option you have to do well.
Original post by TomU
Where's the source for this? Seems a bit bizarre to me as 38% + 65% + 11.7% = 114.7% :confused:

Don't forget Oxford and Cambridge are part of the top 10. That's why it wouldn't make sense to add them up.

http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/PubArticleCC.jsp?id=1202464090914
Reply 1803
Don't forget Oxford and Cambridge are part of the top 10. That's why it wouldn't make sense to add them up.

That is true - I read that as 38% oxbridge, 65% from the remaining part of the top ten (excluding oxbridge). Hence the confusion! Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

Boy, looking at these stats, do I hope that I can meet my Cambridge offer!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TomU
That is true - I read that as 38% oxbridge, 65% from the remaining part of the top ten (excluding oxbridge). Hence the confusion! Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

Boy, looking at these stats, do I hope that I can meet my Cambridge offer!

Haha yeah, I did the same when I first read the article. Then I started adding up and I'm like oh wow, did I really just do that.

Good luck!

Pfft, what a stupid article.
I fail to see how anyone could complain about recruitment focusing on the higher ranked schools - it's entirely logical - and, to be honest, I don't see anything about recruiting from Fordham law school as somehow in itself noble.
What's more, the article commits cum hoc in spectacular fashion. '
But what's really amusing to me is that Slaughter and May's executive partner Graham White insists that the firm is not exclusionary. Here's what he tells Legal Week: "We aim to recruit the best graduates on merit regardless of educational background and are committed to eliminating irrelevant barriers. As part of this we are working to make sure that no students feel they are excluded because of their schooling or university."'
Lolwut? Did you even consider that perhaps the applicants with the most merit come from those schools? The implication that Graham White's claim is somehow ridiculous based on the ratios of oxbridge/ top 10 grads there is in itself absurd.

/rant.

BTW I realise you were only posting the article for statistics. I'm not attacking you, it just pissed me off.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I fail to see how anyone could complain about recruitment focusing on the higher ranked schools - it's entirely logical - and, to be honest, I don't see anything about recruiting from Fordham law school as somehow in itself noble.
What's more, the article commits cum hoc in spectacular fashion. ' Lolwut? Did you even consider that perhaps the applicants with the most merit come from those schools? The implication that Graham White's claim is somehow ridiculous based on the ratios of oxbridge/ top 10 grads there is in itself absurd.

/rant.

BTW I realise you were only posting the article for statistics. I'm not attacking you, it just pissed me off.

Agreed.

It is written from the American perspective. American legal recruiting is a little less prestige whore based, which probably explains the misunderstanding.
Reply 1807
Original post by High As A Kite
hey, thanks for getting back to me

I understand your personal preference favours Exeter (and Sheffield) over UEA. However, are you also thinking about career prospects and how well regarded it is by employers? (which is something i must bear in mind).

Exeter is probably the best Law school on there, you don't graduate with a "Streatham Campus" degree.
I said Sheffield because it's close to me (hence the personal preference) and there isn't much difference between Exeter and Sheffield (in my opinion.)
But you should definitely check the requirements of what you want to do, and check which universities you've applied to match up.

I would take Northumbria for law over City any day. Plus, from what I understand City's law school looks like a dump.

On a side note, I think City really needs to sit down and restrategize their law school. Cass would be an excellent model to follow. If I were part of the law school's administration, I would:

1. Cut the entry requirement to BBB. This would attract more candidates who a) might be more qualified or b)use it as an insurance choice. This would likely raise the quality of student (no joke, some of the BBB law schools have higher UCAS averages than City...this would be a way to change that)
2. Double student intake to raise capital.
3. Invest new found capital into research, facilities, etc.
4. Wait a few years for the LS to grow in reputation/quality. Slowly raising entry requirements to ABB, then AAB and eventually AAA. Heck, Cass is A*AA for some course now.
5. Cut intake since money can now be raised through the strengthened alumni network.
6. Sit back and watch as City becomes a real AAA uni.

Aside from the fact that it would become a legit LS, it would rise in rankings significantly--research output increased, higher UCAS averages, more expenditure per student, better facilities, etc.

:rofl:
I like how you've effectively fixed City (in our opinion anyway.)
I agree that it seems as though they haven't earned their AAA demands, and should have staggered the requirements in order to raise it's reputation a little more amongst the newer Law Schools.

I say newer, because apart from arguably Warwick, no "elite" Law School was founded semi-recently, although I don't know when they were all founded, (QMUL is probably another one) it seems to correlate that age=prestige.
Reply 1808
To be fair, you're hardly the voice of impartiality either.
None of us here really are.

Except me.

I can honestly say everything I've ever said (and will say) regarding Law Schools was totally factual and impartial.

:colonhash:
Original post by Mann18

I say newer, because apart from arguably Warwick, no "elite" Law School was founded semi-recently, although I don't know when they were all founded, (QMUL is probably another one) it seems to correlate that age=prestige.

I hear the 13th century was a better year for law schools than the 11th though.
Reply 1810
What's more, the article commits cum hoc in spectacular fashion. ' Lolwut? Did you even consider that perhaps the applicants with the most merit come from those schools? The implication that Graham White's claim is somehow ridiculous based on the ratios of oxbridge/ top 10 grads there is in itself absurd.

/rant.

Saying that though, I can understand their thoughts.

In the US, it costs a lot more to go to the better universities, and I believe getting financial aid isn't easy (I may be wrong.)

So the author may think that we have a similar system here, where only the more affluent can afford to go to the top 10, and by not accepting many people from the lower ranked universities, they're effectively picking from only the privileged.

There is also the argument that our system (even with it's perceived parity) is highly skewed to the affluent, so the article is right (even though it reached it's answer via flawed logic, or at least apparently flawed logic.) If we consider the proportion of privately educated students that attend top 10 universities, they are greatly over-reperesented, suggesting that affulence indeed dictates which type of university one attends (to a certain extent,) and to only pick from the top, you pick from a predominantly privileged group.

Quite an interesting topic I think, and one that will surely grow to have greater relevance once the tuition fee hike establishes itself. I personally don't think it's fair to pick purely from the top 10, but that it's something firms have limited choice over, they can't afford to risk employing someone who doesn't fit what they're looking for from an academic standpoint, and the problem doesn't lie with the firms (they can't be expected to lead the charge for social mobility) but with the early education system itself, and until every child is given the same opportunities, the vicious circle is set to continue on.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1811
I hear the 13th century was a better year for law schools than the 11th though.

Lmao, nice.

(What are you doing up at this time? :ninja: )
Original post by Mann18

Lmao, nice.

(What are you doing up at this time? :ninja: )

I was revising until not many minutes ago. Since the words started to blur on the page I've been watching Fresh Prince, and in not many minutes I shall be asleep.

So I'll reply to your big complicated looking reply to the uni article thing in the morning, I can't face it now :colonhash:

What about you? What you doing up?
Reply 1813
I was revising until not many minutes ago. Since the words started to blur on the page I've been watching Fresh Prince, and in not many minutes I shall be asleep.

So I'll reply to your big complicated looking reply to the uni article thing in the morning, I can't face it now :colonhash:

What about you? What you doing up?

Fresh Prince is badass.

Ah, that's OK, no worries.

I'm up because I came back from work and fell asleep immediately because I stayed up all last night watching American Football. Now I'm up, and there is literally nothing to do, so I turned on iTunes, grabbed '1984' and started reading, came on here when that got old.
Original post by Mann18
Fresh Prince is badass.

Ah, that's OK, no worries.

I'm up because I came back from work and fell asleep immediately because I stayed up all last night watching American Football. Now I'm up, and there is literally nothing to do, so I turned on iTunes, grabbed '1984' and started reading, came on here when that got old.

1984 doesn't get old. When I read it I did it in a weekend. :colonhash: Because I'm hardcore.

Anyway, sleep. Later.
Reply 1815
Original post by anoushka1
So far I have

Cambridge: A*AA
LSE: A*AA
Queen Mary's : AAA
King's College London: No reply
UCL: Rejected!! (today so gutted kind of wanted them as my back up but oh well life goes on) lol

Hope all you lovely people get your offers!

Kind of worried as I was rejected on the basis of my LNAT so maybe I will get rejected from Kings too :frown:

Hello :smile: Congrats on Cambridge and LSE!! Unfortunately, I was rejected by UCL too. However I'm not sure if it is because of my LNAT. May I ask if your reason for rejection frm UCL explicitly stated that it was due to your LNAT?
Reply 1816
To the people that have got both Cambridge and LSE A*AA offers, why not reject LSE sometime soon to create space for us? lol
Reply 1817
Has any International student gotten any offer at UCL KCL or SOAS?
Original post by qwertzui
Has any International student gotten any offer at UCL KCL or SOAS?

Received an offer from SOAS yesterday
Reply 1819
Does anybody know where to attend Lnat Preparation course?

Latest

Trending

Trending