The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mann18
Fair enough!

But still, you're not basing your ENTIRE university decision on it are you?

Hmm, even then, I believe that when two universities are equal in stature (and you like the courses obviously) you should go where you'd like to be more, and that could feasibly include the place with the better nightlife.

I don't know what to believe any more. :colondollar:

Yeah, it'd definitely be stupid to base your whole decision on the nightlife, but (as you said) it certainly helps to use it as a factor when choosing between unis.

As an example, I chose Manchester, Birmingham and Nottingham mainly because of their prestige but then because I thought that I'd enjoy being there more than at Bristol and Durham due to the social life.
Reply 1961
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Yeah, it'd definitely be stupid to base your whole decision on the nightlife, but (as you said) it certainly helps to use it as a factor when choosing between unis.

As an example, I chose Manchester, Birmingham and Nottingham mainly because of their prestige but then because I thought that I'd enjoy being there more than at Bristol and Durham due to the social life.

Well there you go, I can respect that.
Original post by krishanchopra
lol yh it is .. and they gave me an offer 4 days after i did my LNAT .. so i thought i did pretty well LOL.

That's pretty impressive! Congrats! :rolleyes:
Reply 1963
Original post by High As A Kite
Can you please go into details about the "bad things" you've heard please!?

well i did some research on google by typing in things like 'cornwall campus exeter reviews' or 'what is cornwall campus exeter like' .... and there were some threads on TSR and i think some on some other sites that basically all had the general consensus that it was a dreary old place, thats isnt your typical uni type feel. no real places to go out partying etc and in general quite lonely and dull. Well i have never actually been there myself, but i intend to go down and check this for myself! i might like it, who knows! ...... but the main thing is, is that you get a law degree from exeter uni and those attending CC this year will get to go to streatham for the final year as a part of their plan to merge both law schools and become a top 10 uni for law.
Original post by Mann18

You'll be interested to know that I nearly applied to Ox as the nightlife seems livelier. That's the only thing that I'll ever admit that Oxford beats Cambridge at.

:colonhash:
Original post by SK-mar
well i did some research on google by typing in things like 'cornwall campus exeter reviews' or 'what is cornwall campus exeter like' .... and there were some threads on TSR and i think some on some other sites that basically all had the general consensus that it was a dreary old place, thats isnt your typical uni type feel. no real places to go out partying etc and in general quite lonely and dull. Well i have never actually been there myself, but i intend to go down and check this for myself! i might like it, who knows! ...... but the main thing is, is that you get a law degree from exeter uni and those attending CC this year will get to go to streatham for the final year as a part of their plan to merge both law schools and become a top 10 uni for law.

yeah, i've heard the same. the fact that you graduate is REALLY enticing though... however, after talking to some people on here, who were kind enough to offer some advice, it put a few things into perspective. i realised that going somewhere with arguably less prestige but actually enjoying it will keep me happy, motivated, and hopefully more likely to gain a higher degree. I also heard the teaching at CC is so so. most of the main lectures are held at Streatham, and spending only the last year there, may not be enough.
Original post by Mann18

I can't! Not picking Durham? That's atrocious. :biggrin:
For the record I'd like to say that Bristol has excellent nightlife.
:laugh:

Funnily enough, I really do mind. I'm hoping that I can have some crazy parties/convince people to come down to London occasionaly!

No convincing needed here :cool:.

I would say that only Manchester beats Bristol for nightlife out of the three there.

I have been clubbing in Birmingham and it is nothing special and what I hear of Notts is that you only ever go into the city if it's a student night, else clubs are usually full of locals spoiling for fights (somewhat generalised but I believe that there is merit to it from the sources I have used).

Also, Bristol has an excellent dubstep scene from what I hear. As too does Cambridge apparently (or so my brother says, who did not study at Cambridge and is a big dubstep fan).
Original post by Bellrosk
For the record I'd like to say that Bristol has excellent nightlife.

I know. I just prefered Birmingham's campus to the city of Bristol. It was a combination of various factors.

Original post by Cast.Iron
No convincing needed here :cool:.

:woo:

I like you more every day!
Original post by adam0311
I can't! Not picking Durham? That's atrocious. :biggrin:

Haha, sorry! In the end, it was between Manchester and Durham (should have been no competition) but I was scared of the LNAT and only liked the prestige that Durham has.
I like you more every day!

It would be awesome to go clubbing in London, especially seeing as I have one mate who has got into ICL and another waiting on LSE. Could crash at their places!
I would say that only Manchester beats Bristol for nightlife out of the three there.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly! It was a combination of factors alongside nightlife.

I have been clubbing in Birmingham and it is nothing special and what I hear of Notts is that you only ever go into the city if it's a student night, else clubs are usually full of locals spoiling for fights (somewhat generalised but I believe that there is merit to it from the sources I have used).

Interesting... It's ironic that Warwick is probably going to be my insurance as it's the least "clubby" out of all my choices.

Also, Bristol has an excellent dubstep scene from what I hear. As too does Cambridge apparently (or so my brother says, who did not study at Cambridge and is a big dubstep fan).

Had I known that when submitting my UCAS, I probably would have picked Bristol over Birmingham. Seriously.

Glad to hear that Cambridge has a good dubstep scene, though. We can rave it up when we're not swmaped with work! :danceboy:

Interesting... It's ironic that Warwick is probably going to be my insurance as it's the least "clubby" out of all my choices.

Just think, it could've been Durham...

Cambridge dubstep scene? Made me lol
Glad to see my hometown is getting the rep it deserves.

Still, you can't beat the nightlife where I'm going :wink:
I visited Bristol today, I think I'll probably firm it.
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly! It was a combination of factors alongside nightlife.

Had I known that when submitting my UCAS, I probably would have picked Bristol over Birmingham. Seriously.

Glad to hear that Cambridge has a good dubstep scene, though. We can rave it up when we're not swmaped with work! :danceboy:

Oh lord, the Warwick club scene. I live in Stratford-Upon-Avon, so the Warwick club scene is essentially my club scene also. I have been to a few Warwick Student Union nights and they are not fun :tongue:. Leamington Spa and Coventry. Yay.

Indeed, Bristol is the better Law School as well, I would wager.

I'm serious. Not the mainstream rubbish, but the more obscure, underground stuff. Top notch apparently.

Original post by Potiron
I visited Bristol today, I think I'll probably firm it.

I was meant to be going to the Open Day, but I couldn't make it. I have an offer from Durham now though, so Durham will most likely be my insurance instead of Bristol.

Cold, Northern Durham. :p:

It made me LOL at first but I'm praying that Cambridge does have a good dubstep scene!

Original post by Bellrosk
Glad to see my hometown is getting the rep it deserves.

Still, you can't beat the nightlife where I'm going :wink:

That's the one thing that I'll miss in when moving out of London. :sad:

I'm serious. Not the mainstream rubbish, but the more obscure, underground stuff. Top notch apparently.

That's good ****. There's nothing proper like that where I live. All of the more obscure, undergrounds stuff gets shut down. And the main clubs only do top40/mainstream trance.

Cold, Northern Durham. :p:

Throw an extra layer on/drink an extra pint and its all good!
Oh lord, the Warwick club scene. I live in Stratford-Upon-Avon, so the Warwick club scene is essentially my club scene also. I have been to a few Warwick Student Union nights and they are not fun :tongue:. Leamington Spa and Coventry. Yay.

:eek3:
Thank God that Cambidge gave me an offer 'cos Warwick was going to be my firm.

I would disagree and say that Bristol and Brum are on a par/Bristol only edges out Brum marginally. Also, the Law admissions talk at the Bristol Open Day was so awful.

Latest

Trending

Trending