The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doughnuts!!
Cold, Northern Durham. :p:

North > South.
That's my comment for this hour. Stay tuned for my 1 am comment.
Original post by adam0311
That's good ****. There's nothing proper like that where I live. All of the more obscure, undergrounds stuff gets shut down. And the main clubs only do top40/mainstream trance.

Throw an extra layer on/drink an extra pint and its all good!

Yeah, mainstream is okay because it is usually a decent enough standard but you seldom find hidden gems.

Ah yes, and you can afford the extra pint in Durham because they can be as cheap as £1.20!
Original post by Doughnuts!!
:eek3:
Thank God that Cambidge gave me an offer 'cos Warwick was going to be my firm.

I would disagree and say that Bristol and Brum are on a par/Bristol only edges out Brum marginally. Also, the Law admissions talk at the Bristol Open Day was so awful.

Indeed, they asked me for my student number when I went into the 'club' so I gave them my friend's home telephone number and they accepted it and let me in for free :biggrin:. But other than that, it's really nothing to shout about.

Well I would say that Bristol is better, but only marginally yes. Ah, I was probably at that Open Day too! How exciting.
Reply 1983
Predictions: A*History, A*engligh lit, A* spanish, A econ. predictions,
AS grades: A History, A English lit, A Spanish, A in econ, B in French.

LSE REJECTION FOR LAW.
so unbelievably gutted.
I have no idea what more they wanted, I had tons of work experience with UK renowned barristers, work experience abroad even, Queen Mary's said my personal statement was exceptional, my GCSEs were 6 A*s and 5 As.

And LSE, my top choice, rejected me.
This has to be based on luck :frown:
Original post by krishanchopra
Got a rejected from UCL for law today cos of LNAT. see below..

Your application is no longer being considered by University College London (University of London) for Law, M100 because either they have decided not to offer you a place or your application has been withdrawn. The reason is given below.
Your application has been unsuccessful

Regrettably, your performance in the LNAT does not meet the required level for further consideration of your application.

Same here due to the same reason, it sucks

Good luck with the rest of your applications though! :smile:
Whilst I understand that the LNAT could be a quite good indicator of your potential to be a law student, I just find it strange that whilst UCL rejected me based on my LNAT score , I got a straight(meaning not pooled) offer from Cambridge to study Law and I had to sit the Cambridge Law Test and have 2 interviews...the professors themselves must have seen that I had the potential to be a law student so perhaps, Im not saying in all cases, the LNAT is not the best indicator

Just putting my own experience out there
A lot of the reasons for being rejected by either UCL or Kings and acceptance into Cambridge is largely based on the Unis you apply to. UCL don't like it if you apply to Kings, and usually reject people just for that i know it's stupid and you can say i'm wrong but i highly think it's true. And it's pretty much the same with oxbridge.
Original post by anoushka1
Whilst I understand that the LNAT could be a quite good indicator of your potential to be a law student, I just find it strange that whilst UCL rejected me based on my LNAT score , I got a straight(meaning not pooled) offer from Cambridge to study Law and I had to sit the Cambridge Law Test and have 2 interviews...the professors themselves must have seen that I had the potential to be a law student so perhaps, Im not saying in all cases, the LNAT is not the best indicator

Just putting my own experience out there

Obviously a test such as the LNAT isn't going to be as effective as 2 interviews and a written essay. Most uni's don't have the resources for that, though, so the LNAT is the best alternative.
Original post by GetCrunkedUp
A lot of the reasons for being rejected by either UCL or Kings and acceptance into Cambridge is largely based on the Unis you apply to. UCL don't like it if you apply to Kings, and usually reject people just for that i know it's stupid and you can say i'm wrong but i highly think it's true. And it's pretty much the same with oxbridge.

You can think it's true all you like; the fact remains, however, that uni's don't see your other choices.
I have unconditional offers from Kent, York, Exeter and Durham!!!!!! And I'm waiting on Warwick :smile: :smile: :smile: Feeling very happy right now :smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You can think it's true all you like; the fact remains, however, that uni's don't see your other choices.

Really? I'm sure they do! They see your whole UCAS application where all your choices are written. I'm positive they do.
Really? I'm sure they do! They see your whole UCAS application where all your choices are written. I'm positive they do.

They don't. Your positivity is misplaced.

They see the amount of other choices you have made, but not which other universities - or even which other courses - you chose.

I'm sure it says all this on the UCAS site somewhere.

They don't see the same thing we see when we look at Apply/Track. I saw what mine looked like at my Oxford interview, they don't see your other choices. So your inter-university conspiracy theory isn't true, I'm afraid. Where did you hear it from?
Reply 1993
Original post by her.
Predictions: A*History, A*engligh lit, A* spanish, A econ. predictions,
AS grades: A History, A English lit, A Spanish, A in econ, B in French.

LSE REJECTION FOR LAW.
so unbelievably gutted.
I have no idea what more they wanted, I had tons of work experience with UK renowned barristers, work experience abroad even, Queen Mary's said my personal statement was exceptional, my GCSEs were 6 A*s and 5 As.

And LSE, my top choice, rejected me.
This has to be based on luck :frown:

Sorry to hear that :frown: It may be that although your A-Level grades and predictions are amazing, LSE are known to be GCSE nazis, in my school we're generally advised not to apply unless you have 9A*s. However, there's always exceptions to this but I'm afraid it could be a likely theory. Good luck with the rest of your applications!:redface:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
North > South.
That's my comment for this hour. Stay tuned for my 1 am comment.

Don't be gross! I didn't even apply to any northernly unis for the reason that the North makes me vom
Reply 1995
University of Leicester
Offer: ABB :biggrin:
Started Date: 29th Dec 2010
Offer Received: 26th Jan 2011

I am an International Student.
Perdicted Grade: AAAB
Ielts: 7.5

I am soooooo happy because Leicester is the place I most wanted to go!!!
I hv no idea why they lower their entry offer by this much, but they just did :smile: lol
I hate to think in this way but they might do that because of the Tuition issue ( we pay loads more)
If thats the truth, i will be heart-broken ...

did anyone else get offer like this from Leicester?
Original post by bramz19
They don't see the same thing we see when we look at Apply/Track. I saw what mine looked like at my Oxford interview, they don't see your other choices. So your inter-university conspiracy theory isn't true, I'm afraid. Where did you hear it from?

Arghh oh well, a few friends of mine told me. Clearly not true, well that makes it a bit better =))

Thanks! Sorry for my confusion xx
Original post by LornaSandison1
...That's a little, odd.

Probably a red herring. It's difficult not to give a obvious answer to that one, "er no..." and if you agreed with the statement, universities would be like :eek:!

I did that question :tongue:
Original post by kyukanis
University of Leicester
Offer: ABB :biggrin:
Started Date: 29th Dec 2010
Offer Received: 26th Jan 2011

I am an International Student.
Perdicted Grade: AAAB
Ielts: 7.5

I am soooooo happy because Leicester is the place I most wanted to go!!!
I hv no idea why they lower their entry offer by this much, but they just did :smile: lol
I hate to think in this way but they might do that because of the Tuition issue ( we pay loads more)
If thats the truth, i will be heart-broken ...

did anyone else get offer like this from Leicester?

I feel bad but it basically is! A few universities do it such as Bristol, they seem to give AAB offers as a rule to internation students but they would never give it to a British student. Maybe it will change when the fees go up? It certainly annoys me!
Original post by micky022
I did that question :tongue:

I figured! How did you find it though? Just seems a bit weird to me. :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending