The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by KCosmo
Sorry to hear that :frown: How did they notify you? Did you get an interview? I just got an email there saying that somethings changed on track, but track is under maintenance until 5 o'clock :frown: I'm a bit concerned now as maybe they would do a batch of rejections in the one day? Shall be a long wait until 5

Hint: Track is working perfectly :wink:
Original post by KCosmo
Sorry to hear that :frown: How did they notify you? Did you get an interview? I just got an email there saying that somethings changed on track, but track is under maintenance until 5 o'clock :frown: I'm a bit concerned now as maybe they would do a batch of rejections in the one day? Shall be a long wait until 5

I was rejected without interview. Oh and track seems to be working btw
Reply 642
Original post by areyousure?
Did you check track?
Someone else was also waiting until 5 but she checked and it worked.

Original post by teafil
Hint: Track is working perfectly :wink:

Original post by fabregassed
I was rejected without interview. Oh and track seems to be working btw

Cheers, just went on it there, St Andrew's didn't change, just got rejected from Glasgow though :P Pretty annoying seeing as I live in Glasgow :P
Reply 643
Original post by Anterior view
They sure know how to ruin your weekend:frown:

True :P I also found out that I got rejected from Dundee today aswell, apparently they rejected me in December but I didn't get a track notification :P Double whammy! I think my interview went well for St Andrew's though so finger crossed! Also not heard back from Aberdeen at all, so hopefully I can still get an interview there. Anyone know the typical conditions that St Andrew's set?
Original post by KCosmo
Anyone know the typical conditions that St Andrew's set?

are you Scottish (:yy:) or of the evil nationality i.e. English (:nn: :devil3:)

:colone:

Spoiler

Reply 645
Original post by Vintage05
mine is at 3.40pm!! UKCAT was 645. I'm a resit applicant, so i was so surpised to get an interview!
From Hong Kong! you?

Hii! You have an interview the same day and time as me!! :smile: I'll see you at the waiting room :biggrin: I'm an EU applicant from Sweden :smile:
Reply 646
Original post by filea
Hii! You have an interview the same day and time as me!! :smile: I'll see you at the waiting room :biggrin: I'm an EU applicant from Sweden :smile:

yay!! someone else from tsr! well i'll see you there!
Reply 647
Original post by spacepirate-James
are you Scottish (:yy:) or of the evil nationality i.e. English (:nn: :devil3:)

:colone:

Spoiler

Scottish of course! :P
Original post by KCosmo
Scottish of course! :P

Well so far, all I've heard is that Scottish people have got unconditionals. Provided you didn't mess up your highers or anything. :erm:
Reply 649
Original post by spacepirate-James
Well so far, all I've heard is that Scottish people have got unconditionals. Provided you didn't mess up your highers or anything. :erm:

nah, 5A's :smile: I hope this trend continues then :P
Reply 650
Original post by Vintage05
yay!! someone else from tsr! well i'll see you there!

Yes I'll see you! :smile: You're travelling so far as well!
Reply 651
Hey. I've got a question for those who already had an interview.... Was it difficult to hear/understand the interviewers given that there were 8 interviews going on at the same time in the same room? Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 652
Original post by teafil
Hey. I've got a question for those who already had an interview.... Was it difficult to hear/understand the interviewers given that there were 8 interviews going on at the same time in the same room? Thanks guys :smile:

They're not all in the same room.
Mine was in an individual room with two doctors/interviewers/notactuallysurewhotheywereexactly.
Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Freddo:)
They're not all in the same room.
Mine was in an individual room with two doctors/interviewers/notactuallysurewhotheywereexactly.
Good luck! :smile:

You were in a room all by yourself? How odd :lolwut:

Original post by teafil

Em. I was in a room with about 3 other people who all sat at the other corners of the room. In our day, there were two rooms and the 8 people were divided between them.

It's not difficult to hear at all since you're sitting pretty close to the interviewers, everyone is more quiet, and you're fully concentrating and in the zone. You don't notice the other people whatsoever.

But on saying that, this one girl (bless her) had knocked her pencil case over her desk and it made a really loud noise. Not to mention her pens flew everywhere XD
Original post by teafil

I had the same as Freddo, each of us was in a different room with two interviewers in each.
Reply 655
Original post by amy-morgana
I had the same as Freddo, each of us was in a different room with two interviewers in each.

Same for me. Pretty much mine went like this:

Walked into medical building, they've got a bit of paper stuck on the wall saying "medical interviews reception" as soon as you go in. There's a big open room with tables and stuff that'll have people waiting, going over notes and some people had a parent waiting with them. When your time comes, someone will check your passport (or other ID) and lead about 8 of you to a room with a big desk in the middle. You'll all be given the article thing and given 10 mins peace and quiet to read the article (you can write all over the article if you want or highlight bits/whatever.) Then someone will come get you, lead you down a corridor and point at a room and say "John Brown room 1 " etc. It's normally just you and two interviewers in the room with a desk. Then after is the tour and the relief that it's over :P

Sorry, I've probably went into far too much detail :P hopefully you'll feel less nervous knowing exactly what's coming though :smile: Although space pirate was sharing the room, so be prepared for that aswell. Shouldn't make too much of a difference either way I think.
It isn't just Scottish people who've received offers! I'm from London!
There were only 3 other people at the same time as me. Must have been a quiet day.
Original post by simon-leeds
There were only 3 other people at the same time as me. Must have been a quiet day.
On my day I arrived early and I noticed that all the time slots were groups of four people (therefore three others) so I think that's normal :smile:
I dont know if anyone has tried,but if you're wondering if st andrews give feedback for rejection without interview, they dont.

This give this generic letter:

Thank you for the enquiry about your application to study medicine at St Andrews. We are sorry that we are not in a position to make you an offer of a medical place. Unfortunately you were in competition with stronger applicants. This year we have received more than 1200 applications for 160 places. Ultimately a high proportion of applicants, including many very good candidates, will be disappointed. The following information may help you to understand the reasons why you were unsuccessful:

You must have met the entry requirements and in addition, must have a good performance at Standard Grade or GCSE and if relevant, appropriate examination predictions. Each application must also have been submitted on time as late applications are not accepted.

We take a variety of other factors into account when scrutinising applications:
Personal Statement
Reference
Justification for choice of course or why applicant wants to be a Doctor
Relevant work experience
Communication skills
Overall quality of application
UKCAT score

We ourselves would have liked to make more offers, but the number of places that are available is strictly controlled by the Scottish Higher Education Funding Council. We realise that many candidates will be very disappointed. With regard to whether you should reapply next year, we would advise you that we look favourably on applicants who have fulfilled all aspects of our entry requirements at the time of their first application. You should also be aware that the level of competition varies from year to year and we are unable to forecast the standard of next year's candidates.

At present, all members of the Medical Admissions Team are extremely busy until the admissions process for this year is complete and we are unable to give you a more detailed response to your enquiry at this time.

We would also like to point out that under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 we are obliged to ensure that we only release information to those people who are entitled to receive it. It is therefore not our policy to reply by email but by letter to your home address. Should you require more information, please send a letter signed by yourself to Mary Ainsworth (address below) and one of the Medical Admissions Team will respond as soon as it is possible to do so.

Mary Ainsworth, Administrator - Medical Admissions, Student Recruitment and Admissions, St Katherine's West, 16 The Scores, University of St Andrews, Fife KY16 9AX.

Yours sincerely

Undergraduate Student Recruitment and Admissions
University of St Andrews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending