The Student Room Group

English Prelim - Writing Exam Help?

Preferably for those aware of SQA criteria for Scottish standard grade english.

Ok, so I have my 4th year prelim tomorrow. I have done a few past papers to familiarise myself with close reading papers, and I don't really have a problem with them. I do however have a problem with the writing exam - the one which you have to write an imaginitive story, a personal experience, discursive essay or newspaper article on 3 pages of A4 paper in 1 hour and 15 minutes!

I'm not really good at imaginitve stories, or personal experience essays, as I dont have any interesting personal experiences that would cover 3 pages of paper, nor do i feel comfortable expressing my feelings on the matter. Basically I can't just come up with an essay on the spot.

What could I write about? what is the best type of writing to do in the exam?
Reply 1
By far, personal/reflectice essays as the easiest to do. Marking criteria is very strict for short stories/imaginative pieces so i definitely reccomend personal reflective.

Remember:

The examiner is not going to question your personal essay, as in, did that actually happen? Make it up if you need to!

Have you ever lost a loved one? <-- If you have, write about how this person inspired you, how you loved them so much, talk about your feelings before they died, during the time when they died, and how you feel now.

The above example applys to any personal reflectice essay.

Make a Statement:
I never was too fond of roller-coasters, but i was about to face my biggest fear....

Feelings during it:
...As it swerved from corner to corner, my stomach was turning faster than the wheels of a ferrari.

Evaluate: [and how you feel now]
....It really was a traumatic experience, i never thought i would bring myself to go on it. Now after experiencing it though, the shear enjoyment i gained would probably lure me into another go the next time i come across a roller-coaster.

It is vital that you make use of several techniques to show your feelings etc, like similie,methaphor, onomatopoeia,imagery.

Example:
It was frightening. His hair stood tall and his eyes were wide open. He looked like a crazy scientist who had just blown something up in their face.

What i said above is an example of how you could describe what someone looked like; i said " scientist....blown something up in their face ". That statement alone could create an image of someone very shell shocked and it could add humour.

Be inventive when showing your thoughts/feelings/opinions.

I hope i have helped to some extent...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I am not a naturally good writer and was really scared about my s grade writing especially since i did quite badly in the prelim. I don't recommend this but for the exam i memorised an essay i had already written and made it fit to one of the questions, but you have to be prepared to change parts of the essay to make it fit(i practiced by going through lots of past papers and fitting my essay to questions). This is probably not the best way to go into an exam and it only works for creative essays but i found it the best way for me. Plus don't get too stressed this is just your prelim, i did awful in mine and got a 1 for the final exam, remember your folio is a huge part of your overall mark too. :smile:
Reply 3
No need to start a new thread.

Anyway, I always did creative stories in SG although I was rubbish at them and I've never wrote a personal essay. Creative stories are so much easier, just make something random up and go with the flow.
Reply 4
personal writing is the easiest to do. but what you have to do is show how that experience (no matter how small) has made you person you are today or how it has affected you. also link it into the sense of the experience being unique to you but also that it has a universal sense to it and how that makes you connect with other people in the world. all the examiner wants is for you to show that you are a thinking feeling human being
Original post by stewdb
personal writing is the easiest to do. but what you have to do is show how that experience (no matter how small) has made you person you are today or how it has affected you. also link it into the sense of the experience being unique to you but also that it has a universal sense to it and how that makes you connect with other people in the world. all the examiner wants is for you to show that you are a thinking feeling human being

I think tahts the "reflect" part of the GRC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending