The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachel6286
Hi Sweetchilli,

I can't seem to open this link. Where did this information come from?

I just checked the SAAS website and it still says we can apply for funding to make up the difference. Although I imagine they dont update the information very quickly!

Rachel

Rachel try this:

http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/mature-students/57055-saas-withdrawing-fee-difference.html

SAAS have confirmed to a few who emailed/phoned. Also said website has not been updated yet as they only got told change a few weeks back.
Reply 1121
Original post by sweetchilli
one of my interviewer's said 900 this year!

thanks for that :frown: said 800 on the site. Does that mean the number of offers are also increased?

Original post by kKennedy93
cheers. the odds aren't too horrendous then :rolleyes:

Original post by Harbour Seal
Yeah, just a little over 50%...

I've just realised that this means I have to actually work and make sure I get AAAAB now. That's a bit of a bummer.

56% if it hasn't changed, I'm going to look around

You can do it:biggrin:
Original post by dmz
thanks for that :frown: said 800 on the site. Does that mean the number of offers are also increased?

he just mentioned it within a question to me. might not be accurate. didn't say anything about offers but I'd doubt more offers unless more places - again no indication of this.

Good odds if interviewed either way.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1123
he just mentioned it within a question to me. might not be accurate. didn't say anything about offers but I'd doubt more offers unless more places - again no indication of this.

Good odds if interviewed either way.

I couldn't find it. I'll try again on my laptop in the morning
Rachel try this:

http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/mature-students/57055-saas-withdrawing-fee-difference.html

SAAS have confirmed to a few who emailed/phoned. Also said website has not been updated yet as they only got told change a few weeks back.

****, I've received previous funding for two years, and I was going to have to pay for my fees... Will this affect me, even though I didn't graduate? **** **** ****.

I don't care how much debt I get in, I'm going to be a doctor.
For grads who have had previous funding...

SAAS havee withdrawn the difference payment of fees and it will apply to 2011 applicants and thereafter so now means £3300 per year versus £1800. I think there may be some people who will have to withdraw on account of this.

Link to thread on NMM...

http://www.newmediamedicine.com/foru...ference-4.html

This is the kind of stuff that I lose sleep over. I now need to come up with over 6 grand or I am ****ed as far as being a doctor is concerned.
hey guys ! long time no chat. I really want an offer from glasgow. Its my 1st choice, although i have an offer already, Glasgow is the one :smile: Hurry up March
Original post by Andrew Mooney
This is the kind of stuff that I lose sleep over. I now need to come up with over 6 grand or I am ****ed as far as being a doctor is concerned.

So have you done two years of a previous degree like me?
So have you done two years of a previous degree like me?

Yes I am Scottish and studied for two years in England, during which I therefore had my fees paid by means of a loan from SAAS, which were approx. £3125 and £3225, plus the bursary and maximum loan available to me in order to pay for my accommodation. According to what is being said on this forum:

http://http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/mature-students/57055-saas-withdrawing-fee-difference-4.html

this now means that I would have to pay £3000 or so for the first two years of the course, and thats before paying train fares in and out of Glasgow, living costs, and books for the course, etc. Where did you study the first two years of your previous degree, Harbour Seal?
Yes I am Scottish and studied for two years in England, during which I therefore had my fees paid by means of a loan from SAAS, which were approx. £3125 and £3225, plus the bursary and maximum loan available to me in order to pay for my accommodation. According to what is being said on this forum:

http://http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/mature-students/57055-saas-withdrawing-fee-difference-4.html

this now means that I would have to pay £3000 or so for the first two years of the course, and thats before paying train fares in and out of Glasgow, living costs, and books for the course, etc. Where did you study the first two years of your previous degree, Harbour Seal?

At Glasgow University doing English Literature... :wink:

Have you had an interview for glasgow yet? What questions did they ask about your previous course? Did you feel discriminated against at all?

Also, why did you leave your course previously? :smile: Sorry for the question, but this is a sticky point for me.
At Glasgow University doing English Literature... :wink:

Have you had an interview for glasgow yet? What questions did they ask about your previous course? Did you feel discriminated against at all?

Also, why did you leave your course previously? :smile: Sorry for the question, but this is a sticky point for me.

Hello Harbour Seal

I haven't applied yet, I was going to apply this September for September 2012 entry (I already have my personal statement written and UKCAT practice books and all that) but I'm not sure I will be able to now because of SAAS scrapping the graduate difference fees. So I'm afraid I can't help you with the interview question.

I actually graduated from my last university with a Diploma of Higher Education, so technically I didn't 'quit' so to speak, but if I were you I would just say something like:

I chose a degree in English Literature in order to further my knowledge and ability with regards to a subject about which I was very interested. However, after two years I came to the conclusion that English Literature was not for me, although I did so having gained a significant amount of life experience, maturity and knowledge regarding a subject I was very passionate about, during which I was able to carefully consider and subsequently affirm my decision to study medicine.

Something like that, I suppose, I hope this helps you. Are you not concerned about this new fee situation?
Hello Harbour Seal

I haven't applied yet, I was going to apply this September for September 2012 entry (I already have my personal statement written and UKCAT practice books and all that) but I'm not sure I will be able to now because of SAAS scrapping the graduate difference fees. So I'm afraid I can't help you with the interview question.

I actually graduated from my last university with a Diploma of Higher Education, so technically I didn't 'quit' so to speak, but if I were you I would just say something like:

I chose a degree in English Literature in order to further my knowledge and ability with regards to a subject about which I was very interested. However, after two years I came to the conclusion that English Literature was not for me, although I did so having gained a significant amount of life experience, maturity and knowledge regarding a subject I was very passionate about, during which I was able to carefully consider and subsequently affirm my decision to study medicine.

Something like that, I suppose, I hope this helps you. Are you not concerned about this new fee situation?

A bit, but I think I'll try and get a place in med school before I worry about it too much. This sounds bad, but as a single mum I'll be entitled to a lot more financial help in any case. Plus, my parents want me to be a doctor and they help support me and I have a job which makes things a little easier (they are quite happy for me to increase and decrease my hours according to my availability).

My opinion? If you really want to be a doctor, worry about getting a place first and the fees second. In all honesty, I don't really care how much debt I have to get into (and I hate debt) to do this, so if I have to take out a loan loan, that's what I'll do.

But I am pretty pissed off that this has been pounced on me during this cycle, AFTER I've applied with the idea in mind that I would only be paying around £3000. A lot of graduates who have to pay for the full shebang and who are fairly unsupported are going to find £15000-£16500 (plus £2000 graduation fee) a lot more than the £6500-£9000 or so they expected to pay. I don't think we can see ourselves as in the exact situation as them. I can't see why they can't just postpone it a year to allow people time to prepare for it, and why have they not announced it? Or graduated the levy by 25% a year, giving them more time to get their finances sorted? Now that: that is ridiculous.
Rachel try this:

I emailed them last night and got an email today confirming this awful news!

I'll need to sell my house now!!
For grads who have had previous funding...

SAAS havee withdrawn the difference payment of fees and it will apply to 2011 applicants and thereafter so now means £3300 per year versus £1800. I think there may be some people who will have to withdraw on account of this.

Link to thread on NMM...

http://www.newmediamedicine.com/foru...ference-4.html

To all graduates applicants,

I suggest petitioning your local MSP to raise this in th Scottish Government. The saving they will make from this will not be significant given the number of students receiving free tuition throughout their degree.

I have already written to my local MSP raising the issue.
Reply 1134
You have a house :O, seems like there'll be a lot of mature students in glasgow :tongue:
Original post by dmz
You have a house :O, seems like there'll be a lot of mature students in glasgow :tongue:

hopefully they wont mind some of us immature folk :tongue:
Reply 1136
hopefully they wont mind some of us immature folk :tongue:

haha yer, i can be pretty immature even for 18 :tongue:
Original post by dmz
haha yer, i can be pretty immature even for 18 :tongue:

at least i have an excuse being a wee 17 year old :rolleyes:
Reply 1138
at least i have an excuse being a wee 17 year old :rolleyes:

Oh you're in A2? finally someone i'm older than :tongue:, i turn 19 weeks before we start though :smile:
Original post by dmz
Oh you're in A2? finally someone i'm older than :tongue:, i turn 19 weeks before we start though :smile:

A2?
i turn 18 like a week before... which is pretty good timing ha, if they're nice enough to hit me with an offer of course :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending