The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I was seeing a guy for awhile but then we both went off to start university. We're both from the same home town but our universties are three and a half hours away. He decided to end things and said a relationship just couldnt work because of the distance. It absolutely killed him to do it though because he liked and thought a lot of me. I live an hour away from home plus I dont have commitments at the weekends so I Im free and can come home every weekend. But its more the situation with him. He has sports commitments at the weekends so he can only come home every 4 weeks. Hes also away all this summer as he and his friends are going to america...I supppse if he wasnt going away, then to him we'd have a chance. He said the next proper long lenght of time we'd have would be next christmas. Was I crazy and naive to think that this could work despite the distance?

I dont know what to think of it, surely if someone really wanted to be with another they'd want to be with them despite such a distance (like me)? Or is it just some people are more willing and cut out for a LDR more than others? He still talks to me on facebook and I know I meant a lot to him. I dont know what to think or whether to tell him that I miss him or what to say because this friendship now is killing me. I want to ask him is he happy or whatever but its not my place anymore to be asking such things, or is it? I know after a few weeks of not having him in my life and being at college, that Id prefer to have him in my life and in a LDR than not at all. I hate this and that he thinks this.

In honesty, it's probably a good thing for you that he broke it off now rather than later. If he's not committed to it, then somepoint down the line you'd have much greater issues possibly. You're right though, it's a bit of an excuse to end it really, without having a proper go at it first. 3 and a half hours is nothing really, and that's even less if you decide to meet in the middle, or even if you decide to go to him (why would he worry about how long it takes if you're travelling?). If you can try and talk to him, and reason with him, then perhaps it's worth a go, but in honesty if you don't have that commitment and dive at that first hurdle, I'm not sure how he'd cope when things get much harder than simply travel time.
Hey, I am really really really confused and thought you lot could help me :smile:
I had been with my boyfriend for a year and half before we split up the month before we both went to Uni. We are now 400 miles apart, and when we first split up we pretty much instantly wanted to get back together but had already made the move to university.
We split up because we were stressed about exam results and took it out on each other and were scared of losing each other because we were going to be so far away from each other. From september to december we spoke and told each other we still loved each other and how we missed each other, and in the christmas break we met up because we had decided that we needed to do some work with our relationship before we could start to get back together.
After we met up, he decided that he had too much university work to handle a girlfriend at the same time, because we only saw each other twice in the 3 week period as we were both revising for exams. I am moving to london next year as I reapplied because I do not like my course, and we will only be an hour away from each other this time.
The thing is, before we started our second semester in january he told me he really wished it hadnt come to this and that he still loved me and missed me and everything.
Yesterday I found out that now (a month after he said that) he has slept with someone else, but a girl that he "had gotten to know" after 3 days of seeing her, a girl that doesn't go to his university.
She is closer to him, but as he had told me he still loved me in january and we had continued to speak to each other, I have no idea what to think. He had always said sex was for the person you love and not something you throw away, but now he has gone and done that and apparently it isnt the "one night stand we all think it is" which would suggest that they are going to get together.
Is it me or is this not slightly hypocritical? Right now I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole because of how much he has disgusted me but I don't know what to do.
Any suggestions? Anyone gone through the same thing?

Often when people lose a big part of their life, like their partner, they might do something stupid and irrational to fill that void; that's essentially what a rebound is anyway. Perhaps that is why he's done something which isn't like him. Ultimately though, my response is the same as above. You said you saw each other twice in 3 weeks, was that whilst you were both apart at uni? Twice in 3 weeks is a lot for that distance, some people go without seeing each other for months...
Original post by Magnum Opus
Often when people lose a big part of their life, like their partner, they might do something stupid and irrational to fill that void; that's essentially what a rebound is anyway. Perhaps that is why he's done something which isn't like him. Ultimately though, my response is the same as above. You said you saw each other twice in 3 weeks, was that whilst you were both apart at uni? Twice in 3 weeks is a lot for that distance, some people go without seeing each other for months...

I hadn't seen him for three months when I saw him twice in the three weeks when we were both at home together for Christmas. I now haven't seen him since christmas and most probably will not see him in the easter holidays as I am pretty appauled at what he has done. He said that his friends at uni called him "Picky" because he had not gotten with anyone since joining university, and had said that he hadn't even thought about it. I'm just wondering why in the last month he decided to essentially forget who I am and do this, and his reply to have you slept with someone was "alright, things happened last week" No sorry, no nothing. I think he's trying to be a man's man at uni.
I hadn't seen him for three months when I saw him twice in the three weeks when we were both at home together for Christmas. I now haven't seen him since christmas and most probably will not see him in the easter holidays as I am pretty appauled at what he has done. He said that his friends at uni called him "Picky" because he had not gotten with anyone since joining university, and had said that he hadn't even thought about it. I'm just wondering why in the last month he decided to essentially forget who I am and do this, and his reply to have you slept with someone was "alright, things happened last week" No sorry, no nothing. I think he's trying to be a man's man at uni.

It's understandable to be upset at what he has done, there's not justification for hurting you by doing that. I'm confused though, you seem to say you want to be with him, yet at the same time you're refusing to see him or talk to him? I think it's worth you having a proper talk with him about how he feels etc and try and reason things out with him, if that doesn't get anywhere then you can beging to move on. As much as it hurts if he's already moving on, there's not a great deal you can do about it, don't flog a horse whilst it's down, there will only be more hurt. Have a talk through things with him. :smile:
I am having trouble. I'm in a good relationship thats lasted over 5 years now. Since coming to university I have really missed sex with my partner. We lived together since the beginning and it's me that's moved away into uni accommodation. I'm 27 and there's no kids to consider. I have never cheated on him and vice versa. But now I understand why partners cheat on each other. I just want to get laid more often. I miss the physical closeness. I am considering talking to my partner about an open relationship but I'm afraid he won't accept this idea. For him sex means love but this is not the case for me.
If I talk to him about it this will reduce the sneaking around and lying which comes with the infidelity territory. However I risk him being very upset about the idea. He already has trouble with me being away. He misses me terribly.
If I don't talk to him about it and sleep around carefully I may be able to fulfill my needs without him ever knowing and therefore not upsetting him.
I love and respect him and his feelings but I'm having real trouble with staying celibate in between his visits. :frown:

Serious answers only please!
I am having trouble. I'm in a good relationship thats lasted over 5 years now. Since coming to university I have really missed sex with my partner. We lived together since the beginning and it's me that's moved away into uni accommodation. I'm 27 and there's no kids to consider. I have never cheated on him and vice versa. But now I understand why partners cheat on each other. I just want to get laid more often. I miss the physical closeness. I am considering talking to my partner about an open relationship but I'm afraid he won't accept this idea. For him sex means love but this is not the case for me.
If I talk to him about it this will reduce the sneaking around and lying which comes with the infidelity territory. However I risk him being very upset about the idea. He already has trouble with me being away. He misses me terribly.
If I don't talk to him about it and sleep around carefully I may be able to fulfill my needs without him ever knowing and therefore not upsetting him.
I love and respect him and his feelings but I'm having real trouble with staying celibate in between his visits. :frown:

Serious answers only please!

Are you sure these feelings are not steaming from a deeper problem in your relationship? Missing sex does not equal cheating if your happy in the relationship.
Please help :frown:

I'm in a relationship that's getting on for 18 months now, and we're about 4.5 hours apart, see each other once every 2 to 3 weeks. But we're on the verge of it all collapsing. I love him more than anything, and I can't picture my life without him, yet he can no longer see a future for us at the minute. Does anyone know how we can relight that spark that he thinks is missing? How do you get the love back that's been there before? It's been there once so there's got to be a way of it coming back!
I can't stand this at the minute, we're now having a break, but I just want to sort it all out :frown:

If anyone has any help or advice, I'd really appreciate it :smile:

Thanks
Hi all.

Could really use some advice. Basically, been with my boyfriend since I started Uni. He was in second year and everything was perfect. I'm now in third year, but I'm on placement 2 hours away. He's in final year and our relationship has just completely broken down. The past three months have been awful, we've been arguing about the same thing - not being able to plan time together. He has an awful lot of work and just can't afford to take weekends out.

Now, things got quite bad in December, and he was considering ending it, but after careful thought and consideration he decided to give things another go as although it was tough, it was worth it. January came, and so did more arguments, same things again, about us not having time to spend a weekend together. He finally said he'd had enough, accused me of ruining his exams and making everything awful.

He came to see me for a day to break up with me, was super emotional and now he just wont give me another chance. He says I've ruined things, I've had enough chances and he doesn't think he could love me in the same way again. I can't deal with this, we're perfect for each other and we both admitted that it's just the distance and lack of time together that's ultimately ruined things. He's too good to give up on, and of course I'm feeling the usual "I can't imagine being with anyone else, ever" thoughts, but I just know that I'm going to regret these past 3/4 months for a very long time if this is really it.

To make things worse, one of his good friends from home is getting involved. Initially I think he was asking her for her advice, but now she's telling him to ignore me/delete me from fb/etc. I don't want him to do this and forget about me because I know I can mend things, so it seems like such a waste.

I can hold on until June, because I know I'll move back to the same place and we'll have time to be together. But he's just so unwilling to even take things slowly and try again. How can I get him to give me another chance? Is it even possible? I know we both need space for a while but I'm finding it tough - it makes me so so so sad to think I'll never see/talk/be with him again, and I don't know what to do. Turned into a bit of a wreck lately, and I can't stand feeling so sad all the time. I reaaally don't want to turn into a mental girl who is obsessed with calling/stalking her ex, but I'm finding it hard to not click on that profile page/text etc... I know he needs space, but I'm scared that if I give him space he'll move on :frown:

Any advice would be much appreciated...
Looks like I might be going into a LDR.

Met the girlfriend at uni in newcastle 2 and a bit years ago, since then we moved over to near where she is from in Northern Ireland last september. I struggled to find work so started applying for jobs in my hometown of leeds because the financial pressure was putting a strain on the relationship. I got a job in leeds straight away and she is still working over in NI.

She doesn't seem interested in moving over here and now I have a job I am struggling to see the point in moving back over when I have no family and only a handful of friends over there.

With it being over the water it makes it harder to visit with planes being more infrequent and expensive than trains.

I just don't think it would do my long term career plans any favours to look for another job where there seems to be a distinct lack of opportunities. I gave it a try but it just seems it was not meant to be, however I still love her.

Thoughts?
Hey guys! I've been with my boyfriend in a LDR for almost a year and I'm starting to feel like COD is becoming more important to him!
I just came back from a holiday yesterday so obviously we couldn't talk that much while i was gone and when i got back in the afternoon he said he would call me. So i waited until 12 (I didn't call myself cos he told me he had some things he had to do), at which point i text him telling him i was going to bed and i'd talk to him tomorrow, but then he called me an hour later, waking me up. I'm not very good on the phone when i've been woken up so the conversation only lasted a minute but he told me the reason he hadnt called was cause he'd been on COD with the guys. And this isn't the first time this has happened! Surely he should want to talk to me for a bit rather than sit there on COD for hours on end? It's not like i was demanding hours of his time, I'd have been happy with a half an hour chat!

I went to see him for a weekend once too (we obviously don't get to see each other much) but on the night before i had to leave, he decided to have a 3 hour game of COD with his mates, and i just had to sit there!

I'm not one of those girls who demands he talks to me all the time, quite the contrary, we dont talk on the phone that much and we rarely skype cause he gets pissy about the call quality. That added to the fact he is generally useless with a phone and now he'd rather play COD :frown: Is this normal? Should I talk to him about it? I feel like he's putting COD before me and its just making me feel like ****! (sorry about the essay, any advice would be welcome though, I hope i dont sound like one of those whiney threads you get on here!)
Hi all.

Could really use some advice. Basically, been with my boyfriend since I started Uni. He was in second year and everything was perfect. I'm now in third year, but I'm on placement 2 hours away. He's in final year and our relationship has just completely broken down. The past three months have been awful, we've been arguing about the same thing - not being able to plan time together. He has an awful lot of work and just can't afford to take weekends out.

Now, things got quite bad in December, and he was considering ending it, but after careful thought and consideration he decided to give things another go as although it was tough, it was worth it. January came, and so did more arguments, same things again, about us not having time to spend a weekend together. He finally said he'd had enough, accused me of ruining his exams and making everything awful.

He came to see me for a day to break up with me, was super emotional and now he just wont give me another chance. He says I've ruined things, I've had enough chances and he doesn't think he could love me in the same way again. I can't deal with this, we're perfect for each other and we both admitted that it's just the distance and lack of time together that's ultimately ruined things. He's too good to give up on, and of course I'm feeling the usual "I can't imagine being with anyone else, ever" thoughts, but I just know that I'm going to regret these past 3/4 months for a very long time if this is really it.

To make things worse, one of his good friends from home is getting involved. Initially I think he was asking her for her advice, but now she's telling him to ignore me/delete me from fb/etc. I don't want him to do this and forget about me because I know I can mend things, so it seems like such a waste.

I can hold on until June, because I know I'll move back to the same place and we'll have time to be together. But he's just so unwilling to even take things slowly and try again. How can I get him to give me another chance? Is it even possible? I know we both need space for a while but I'm finding it tough - it makes me so so so sad to think I'll never see/talk/be with him again, and I don't know what to do. Turned into a bit of a wreck lately, and I can't stand feeling so sad all the time. I reaaally don't want to turn into a mental girl who is obsessed with calling/stalking her ex, but I'm finding it hard to not click on that profile page/text etc... I know he needs space, but I'm scared that if I give him space he'll move on :frown:

I am so sorry to hear about your situation that must be a horrible position to be in! :frown: i think all you can really do is spend some time with him and talk it all through. Even if you both decide you cant carry on like it is, june isnt very far away and you can always make amends then! I know its so hard but just stay strong and stay busy! keep your friends close! its very strange that hes just given up like that though, so maybe you should tell yourself if he wasnt willing to put in the effort to make it work, maybe he wasnt worth your effort!
Hi guys, im just wanting some advice on how you manage to maintain your long distance relationships?

I've been with my BF for 6 months now n I love him to pieces. But in september (i know its a while off) he'll be going to do his 32 week training in the marines and I'm going to university.

We've talked about it and agree that we'll stay together and just see how it goes. We both agree that we really don't want to split up. But he's worried I might meet someone whilst I'm at University :frown: I've told him that I love him and therefore wouldn't even be considering other guys, but he's just scared i migh "find someone more like me."

It's gonna be a bit more difficult for us to keep in touch because of him going to the Marines (especialy once he's trained and gets packed of to Afghanistan - I'm dreading the day) So was just looking for any advice you guys might have?

Thanks xx
Hi guys, im just wanting some advice on how you manage to maintain your long distance relationships?

I've been with my BF for 6 months now n I love him to pieces. But in september (i know its a while off) he'll be going to do his 32 week training in the marines and I'm going to university.

We've talked about it and agree that we'll stay together and just see how it goes. We both agree that we really don't want to split up. But he's worried I might meet someone whilst I'm at University :frown: I've told him that I love him and therefore wouldn't even be considering other guys, but he's just scared i migh "find someone more like me."

It's gonna be a bit more difficult for us to keep in touch because of him going to the Marines (especialy once he's trained and gets packed of to Afghanistan - I'm dreading the day) So was just looking for any advice you guys might have?

Thanks xx
Hi all.

Hi. a few things are coming through from your mail:-
1) your boyfriend is attributing his poor academic performance to the relationship....whats your take on this? do you agree with him?
2) you acknowledge that he has lot of work to take off weekends....what alternatives did the 2 of you come up with to ease on the issue of time management on weekends?
i think you need to work out on your expectations here, agree whats possible and whats not possible so that both of your academic work doesnt get affected
3) its important to understand the kind of personality each of you possesses...(in my subjective opinion, you come out as nagging and seemingly desperate to be with this man) maybe thats a put-off to this guy.
What exactly did he mean by saying you ruined things?
4) you can deal with anything you put your mind to do. your saying you cant deal with his rejection is a recipe for depression. whats the benchmark that you are perfect for each other? if he doesnt think the same, it will only depress you to encourage such self-defeating statements. nobody is too good to give up if they dont appreciate you.

Take sometime and think about the good and the bad of the relationship and try to pick positive learnings from it. work on the issues he has told you (not for him but for you and your next relationship). be a better person (we all have capacity to be better people).

give him time. use that time of separation for self awareness and self knowledge. you may eventually realise that he is not the kind of man you want in your life afterall......

Best of luck!
Hey,

so perhaps a little permaturely, (we've been going out three months) I'm starting to worry about uni next year. We were best friends for about a year before we started going out so it was automatically a little more serious, and if he decides the long distance thing isn't for him I will be gutted. :frown: The thing is, I have heard from all my unis, and he hasn't, my first choice is really, really far away (opposite ends of the UK) to his first choice out of the offers he has. I have another offer (which people are trying to tell me to go to, because they think its a better uni) which has the same grades as my first choice but is much much closer. However, if he gets offers from places he hasnt heard from then my first choice is still 3-4 hours away,but it wouldn't be so bad, no flights or overnight trains involved at least.

I'm just worried. Has anyone made it work while being at opposite ends of the UK, living on student loans? :s-smilie:

:frown:
hi everyone
we've been together for 2.5 years; first year he made an effort to text/do nice things, as well as daily chat. nowadays we still chat/skype as often but i miss the cute good morning texts or a random moment he remembered from the last time we were together (dunno this makes me think he doesn't think about me any more :frown: ) he says he doesn't have credit:redface:
at first i carried on texting, but then after getting no replies for weeks (but we still chatted) i gave up
do you think something is up? or is it just habituation?
thank you!
hi everyone
we've been together for 2.5 years; first year he made an effort to text/do nice things, as well as daily chat. nowadays we still chat/skype as often but i miss the cute good morning texts or a random moment he remembered from the last time we were together (dunno this makes me think he doesn't think about me any more :frown: ) he says he doesn't have credit:redface:
at first i carried on texting, but then after getting no replies for weeks (but we still chatted) i gave up
do you think something is up? or is it just habituation?
thank you!

I suggest that you try talking to him. Tell him you're feeling a bit neglected. And ask him what's going on.
I'm potentially going to be entering an LDR (if all goes well) but due to complications with uni I'll be relocating at the end of the year, and this means a permanent LDR..not so much when we're at home, but a lot more so when we're at uni...I don't want to potentially start something that won't work, and then cause emotional heart ache for one/both of us...so just looking for some advice really.

Thanks in Advance :smile:
Reply 5578
I'm potentially going to be entering an LDR (if all goes well) but due to complications with uni I'll be relocating at the end of the year, and this means a permanent LDR..not so much when we're at home, but a lot more so when we're at uni...I don't want to potentially start something that won't work, and then cause emotional heart ache for one/both of us...so just looking for some advice really.

Thanks in Advance :smile:

I guess you just have to decide if this person is worth it, Anonymous. It might also be worth remembering that when people break up in an LDR it's usually for reasons unrelated to its long-distance nature. So I wouldn't worry about heartache in relation to a LDR specifically. Good luck! xx
I've recently been starting to worry about the prospect of a LDR with my boyfriend of a year when we both go off to uni in september/october time. He'll be at UEA (most likely), Cardif or Keele and I'll hopefully be at York. We have some similar choices so it could be that we do end up at the same place but still.

I love him so much and I don't want to break up just because we're going to be in different places, we're too good together for that.

How did people find it going from seeing someone pretty much everyday to a couple of times a month (depending on finances etc)?

Latest

Trending

Trending