The Student Room Group

US vetoes settlement resolution

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/02/2011218201653970232.html

The US was the only one of 14 UN security council members who vetoed a resolution to declare Israeli settlement activity in Palestinian territory as illegal. The EU states of Germany,Britain and France on the other hand upheld their stance that the settlements were 'illegal under international law'.

Now as a world power the US should be partial in this regard but when it comes to Israel the US condones just about everything while the people of Gaza are the only ones in the world who are suffering from a humanitarian crisis and yet are under a blockade.

I don't know about you but i think all this undermines the peace process. Its effing ridiculous.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
AIPAC lobbying at its best.
Original post by McLovinn
AIPAC lobbying at its best.

Their strength is just too much
totally agree with you, it just makes the US look really weak and in my opinion lose a lot of their (already poor) reputation
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
totally agree with you, it just makes the US look really weak and in my opinion lose a lot of their (already poor) reputation

The various lobby's in the US try to end debate on Israel as much as they can. They have even been known to put pressure on free debates to not discuss Israel. Something that does not even happen in Israel and is exclusive to the USA
Original post by Aj12
The various lobby's in the US try to end debate on Israel as much as they can. They have even been known to put pressure on free debates to not discuss Israel. Something that does not even happen in Israel and is exclusive to the USA

Especially in Unis...
Reply 6
Original post by jakemittle
Especially in Unis...

Weren't the AIPAC or ZOA looking to make criticism of Israel illegal in the States as a result of anti-Zionist campus protests?
The USA is a society based on property rights. I don't see why, in theory, they'd violate the right of Jews to own property in the West Bank. Nevertheless this may be damaging to the peace process but I hardly feel all the blame can be landed at AIPAC's door, or the "Zionist lobby". America are not acting on behalf of AIPAC in rejecting this resolution, they are acting on behalf of the American people.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
what a surprise :rolleyes:
The USA it's self has had an illegal blockade on Cuba for fifty years, not to mention the fact that it almost wiped out the indigenous people in it's own country to claim their land. It would smack of hypocrisy if it didn't back Israel wouldn't it?
Reply 10
The USA just infuriates me every time they do this. I can't believe they still have the nerve to claim they are impartially trying to create peace between Israel & Palestine. They can never be the mediator as long as AIPAC is controlling the White House.
Reply 11
Original post by Libertinedreamer
The USA it's self has had an illegal blockade on Cuba for fifty years, not to mention the fact that it almost wiped out the indigenous people in it's own country to claim their land. It would smack of hypocrisy if it didn't back Israel wouldn't it?

I think most Americans and even the politicians can now acknowledge that what was done to the Native American's was wrong. But at least we see the similarities between what is being done to the Palestinians & what was done to the Native Americans.
(edited 13 years ago)
But the people are not always right. History will attest to that.
Original post by Mujeriego
But the people are not always right. History will attest to that.

Of course. But the Arab world are not always right either and may be wrong in proposing this resolution? Surely using your logic that is possible. I'm aware of the consequenes of the USA's actions here but it is a country governed by a democratic mandate and what the people say often goes. This isn't to say it is morally right though. My own opinion is that vetoing this is good in theory but not in practise.
Reply 14
The American general population are not particularly well informed; the majority public perception is ignorance and apathy - support is usually the result of a pro-Israeli political environment, media, religious groupings and so on. I don't think american public perception of Israel is based on any sound reasoning and understanding.

I honestly think the billions the United States pours into Israel is one of the worse things it does. Israel takes from the American taxpayer and it generates nothing but hate for the United States around the world - I see no logical reason for the brownnosing of Israel by the USA, in terms of national interest I think it does considerable harm. I have family in the USA and they agree with me - they would love to get shut of Israel.

Israel is a wealthy country with an unimpressive history - as far as I am concerned it should respect the dignity of the Palestinian people and stop demanding money and support off the United States - it causes nothing but endless trouble. The slavish fetish mainstream American politicans have for Israel is completely bizzare and I think any rational person should question why this is the case...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Organ
The American general population are not particularly well informed; the majority public perception is ignorance and apathy - support is usually the result of a pro-Israeli political environment, media, religious groupings and so on. I don't think american public perception of Israel is based on any sound reasoning and understanding.

I honestly think the billions the United States pours into Israel is one of the worse things it does. Israel takes from the American taxpayer and it generates nothing but hate for the United States around the world - I see no logical reason for the brownnosing of Israel by the USA, in terms of national interest I think it does considerable harm. I have family in the USA and they agree with me - they would love to get shut of Israel.

Israel is a wealthy country with an unimpressive history - as far as I am concerned it should respect the dignity of the Palestinian people and stop demanding money and support off the United States - it causes nothing but endless trouble. The slavish fetish mainstream American politicans has for Israel is completely bizzare and I think any rational person should question why this is the case...

I don't care what you think of the American public, but the Christian Right have far more influence than this supposed "Jewish lobby" and you'll find it is the Christians who wish to continue funding Israel. No point attacking me: I'm against excessive aid to Israel as much as you seem to be. The US has considerable reason to keep ties with Israel though - an ally in such a stragetic position helps America more than it harms them.
Reply 16
Original post by didgeridoo12uk

Is that weak in as much as they have shown they can do whatever the hell they like and nobody's going to stop them?
Reply 17
Oh yeah, the same people who go to Israel and ask Arab christians if 'yall just converted then?'

The US has considerable reason to keep ties with Israel though - an ally in such a stragetic position helps America more than it harms them.

Really? I am curious, how does it help the national interest of the United States?
Original post by Bobifier
Is that weak in as much as they have shown they can do whatever the hell they like and nobody's going to stop them?

more that they do whatever a tiny little country tells them to do
Original post by Organ
Oh yeah, the same people who go to Israel and ask Arab christians if 'yall just converted then?'

Yes.

Really? I am curious, how does it help the national interest of the United States?

As I just said it strengthens their close ally in a geopolitically strategic region. By the way, do you oppose US aid to Saudi Arabia as vociferously as you do aid to Israel?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending