The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Overmars
Well, all things considered -- that second string line-up ain't winning **** no matter what the formation. Having to play a replay against Orient isn't a problem because the second string will play again and they'll win but after that, because we're away at Old Trafford, we'll have to put a strong team out. At Wembley, I think we'll see a mixture of first-team and squaddies -- players like Arshavin, Gibbs, Rosicky, Eboue might get a start. Obviously every league game and every CL game (if we go further) will need our best available line-up. Wenger might be concerned with the team having to play every 3/4 days but I think if any squad can cope with it, we can. If you want to compete in all competitions, you're obviously going to face that problem. The players just have to man-up and deal with it.

I think the fact that we are playing every 4 days has been a bit over exagerated. Firstly, they're being paid good money to do it, yes, that doesn't mean a lot, but still!

Secondly, its football for christs sake! i'd play it everyday if I could. The fact that they are playing for glory just makes it all the more appetizing for me :colone:

I agree with you, they should all man up and be thankful for the position that they are in
Shouldn't the concern be that now your second string players will be tired for the Sunderland game? The game which happens to come three days before the Nou Camp decider......
Original post by PlasticBag
I think the fact that we are playing every 4 days has been a bit over exagerated. Firstly, they're being paid good money to do it, yes, that doesn't mean a lot, but still!

Secondly, its football for christs sake! i'd play it everyday if I could. The fact that they are playing for glory just makes it all the more appetizing for me :colone:

I agree with you, they should all man up and be thankful for the position that they are in

Absolutely. The fact is that they get paid a lot. We might not give away much in terms of transfer fees but our wage bill is amongst the highest in the league (not including Chelsea and Man City...although Wenger has said it's misleading because it includes 'image rights' or something).

The thing that I don't understand is that -- how much work would it really be for Van Persie, Nasri, Fabregas etc. to see off Leyton Orient? Would they really have to press like they did against Barcelona? Or would we race to a comfortable lead and then keep ball? Wenger starts off with a weakened side and then feels the need to bring on Fabregas and Van Persie to work very hard to get us back into the game with 20 mins left...but giving them the first 70 mins with little work involved might well conserve more energy. Players coming back from injury -- like Nasri -- might've had a nice run out too. Meh.
Reply 4363
Seemed quite good. Showed some good strength on a few occasions and looked reasonably comfortable. He's only 18 and another one that could probably use a loan spell. We're not the best club for a central defender to learn his trade -- if any Championship level teams are willing to take him for next season, that would be great.

With Vermaelen coming back in a couple of weeks, I don't think we'll see any more of Miquel this season.

He played ok, from what I've read about him he's supposed to be a very good reader of the game but lacking in strength and pace. In the strength department I was pleasntly surprised in the Orient match as he wasn't bullied however I was disappointed with his speed and agility as he was quite slow to turn.
Original post by Kevmeister
Shouldn't the concern be that now your second string players will be tired for the Sunderland game? The game which happens to come three days before the Nou Camp decider......

I'm sure we won't see a totally second-string side for Sunderland. It's a league game and so it's massively important. Ramsey will be back, and Vermaelen should be too so they are a couple of decent players that will be able to get games. Maybe 4/5 players rested depending on who really can't cope with the games.
I'm sure we won't see a totally second-string side for Sunderland. It's a league game and so it's massively important. Ramsey will be back, and Vermaelen should be too so they are a couple of decent players that will be able to get games. Maybe 4/5 players rested depending on who really can't cope with the games.

If we do rest 4- players, i think it will send out the wrong message. Sunderland have improved greatly, one of the most improved teams in the Prem. I reckon we need to ensure that our spine plays in the game, i.e Cesc, Nasri, the 2CB's and maybe Van p. The rest can be fairly chopped and changed. But its the spine of this team that gives us that winning mentality and desire to win.

I reckon the 2nd string are probably a demotivated, especially after the Barca game. Dont get a game against Barca, but theyre picked against Leyton Orient with other players who are clearly not in the first team. Obviously theyre going to be lacking in motivation and passion.

I reckon that those 2nd string players see it differently to us. They dont see it as a chance to stake their claim, but I reckon they see not being selected for barca as a mild insult. But its up to Wenger to flush out that mentality and show them that they are all equally important to Arsenal.

Not a totally second-string one, but the likes of Fatshavin and Rosicky would most likely have started, but now you have a cup game against fired up opposition looking to make history, it will be tiring......

I'm just thinking aloud, feel free to dismiss my thoughts.
Original post by PlasticBag
If we do rest 4- players, i think it will send out the wrong message. Sunderland have improved greatly, one of the most improved teams in the Prem. I reckon we need to ensure that our spine plays in the game, i.e Cesc, Nasri, the 2CB's and maybe Van p. The rest can be fairly chopped and changed. But its the spine of this team that gives us that winning mentality and desire to win.

I reckon the 2nd string are probably a demotivated, especially after the Barca game. Dont get a game against Barca, but theyre picked against Leyton Orient with other players who are clearly not in the first team. Obviously theyre going to be lacking in motivation and passion.

I reckon that those 2nd string players see it differently to us. They dont see it as a chance to stake their claim, but I reckon they see not being selected for barca as a mild insult. But its up to Wenger to flush out that mentality and show them that they are all equally important to Arsenal.

I agree -- in an ideal world we'd play the full strength team but I don't think Wenger will given that there's a trip to Barcelona 3 days away.

I'm going on what I think will happen rather than what I want to happen -- I'd tell them to get the **** on with it and earn their money. I hate that they're wrapped them in cotton-wool. But realistically, Wenger isn't going to play a full team for 3 games in a week (remember we'll have Man Utd in the FA Cup too if we get past the replay).
Think the fixture congestion is being slightly overplayed in all honesty. We have Stoke and Birmingham (the first XI will play both). On the 2nd we have Orient which the 2nd XI will play. 6 days after Birmingham is Sunderland. 3 days later Barca for which our first XI should be fresh. 4 days later is United which is going to be very tiring and I can imagine RVP and probably Wilshere being rested (Ramsey will be back by then won't he?). Whoever out of Walcott/Arsh plays vs. Barca will be rested. Vermaelan might be back for the United game as well.
I agree -- in an ideal world we'd play the full strength team but I don't think Wenger will given that there's a trip to Barcelona 3 days away.

I'm going on what I think will happen rather than what I want to happen -- I'd tell them to get the **** on with it and earn their money. I hate that they're wrapped them in cotton-wool. But realistically, Wenger isn't going to play a full team for 3 games in a week (remember we'll have Man Utd in the FA Cup too if we get past the replay).

I guess in that week we will find out where our priorities lie. But I can see Wenger rotating for the Sunderland game as on paper, its the easiest of the 3 games (but I'll tell you now, Sunderland away or home is never easy!)

I'm 100% sure though that he will play a complete first team against both Man U and barca. barca- fairly obvious and Man U because imo we need to send out a message to these gits that we can beat them and beat them good. I reckon if we loose against Man U, there is the possibility of the rails coming of. I remember when we got thrashed 4-0 at Old trafford in I think the FA cup, the team just didnt have the self belief for the rest of that season. They were a shadow of themselves.

But I do think we are looking to much into this, we have 22-24 really good players that could get into the majority of PL teams. We have a team of athletes at the height of their fitness. Three 90 minute games of football is not going to kill anyone. Hell, I've played more football in a shorter period of time and I've always been fine :colone:
Not a totally second-string one, but the likes of Fatshavin and Rosicky would most likely have started, but now you have a cup game against fired up opposition looking to make history, it will be tiring......

I'm just thinking aloud, feel free to dismiss my thoughts.

No it's a good point.

Maybe I'm being as arrogant as I sometimes accuse the manager and the players of being but I don't think Leyton Orient -- at the Emirates -- will be more than a training session.

A game in mid-week is common for most players in CL sides. On the weekend, Arsene played a full-strength line-up against Wolves and then picked the same side (but inc. Nasri) to play against Barcelona. There wasn't much hint of 'tiredness'

Too much is made of players being tired. It's a convenient excuse for Wenger but as I said -- if you're going to challenge on all fronts then you will obviously have this problem. There's no point drawing attention to it -- ideally, the players should be itching to play every game. Man Utd and Chelsea in recent years have successfully competed for a number of trophies and have had to juggle these fixtures. It should be a challenge the squad should be relishing but with Wenger voicing his concerns today, it seems Arsenal are fearing it.
Just looked at Barca's fixtures, and currently they have a game on the Sunday before the 2nd leg.

I think Wenger is trying, again, to take pressure off his players with his talk about congestion. My concern would be players playing in 2/3 games in quick succession and picking up niggles, as some of your lot like to do.
Just looked at Barca's fixtures, and currently they have a game on the Sunday before the 2nd leg.

I think Wenger is trying, again, to take pressure off his players with his talk about congestion. My concern would be players playing in 2/3 games in quick succession and picking up niggles, as some of your lot like to do.

I think that's every Arsenal fan's concern. If Van Persie gets injured, we are ****ed. Arsenal have had it relatively good w.r.t injuries this season, but it's still early days. This is generally the stage where it all falls apart and players start dying left, right and centre. :dry:
Well we should take into account all of Wenger's squads have fantastic fitness rates I would argue the fittest in the league. The overall squad is not bad as other seasons as we can afford to chop and change 2/3 players for games such as Sunderland and B'ham whilst getting away with it (though not in defensive positions).
I think that's every Arsenal fan's concern. If Van Persie gets injured, we are ****ed. Arsenal have had it relatively good w.r.t injuries this season, but it's still early days. This is generally the stage where it all falls apart and players start dying left, right and centre. :dry:

I would rather Fabregas got injured than RVP right now he's that important. The amount of strapping on his ankles doesn't help calm the nerves either =/
Well they usually start dying around late Nov/ mid Dec don't they?
Original post by Psychotic546
I would rather Fabregas got injured than RVP right now he's that important. The amount of strapping on his ankles doesn't help calm the nerves either =/

Well we've always had a lot of casualties but around about Feburary someone breaks their leg and then going into the crunch games we're fielding Denilson, Diaby and Eboue. The team we fielded against Barca for the 2nd leg last year was pathetic. Lets hope this can be the one year where our key players stay fit. If Van Persie, Fabregas, Nasri, Song remain fine, I'm convinced we'll have non-trivial trophy at the end of the season (I don't count the Carling Cup).
Reply 4376
Original post by Psychotic546

This is what i wasthinking earlier today....if fab gets injured we still have a strong midfield.

If rvp get injured, we are left with bendtner and chamakh. Both of which I dont rate, although chamakh will need time to become a much better player.

Bendtner on the other hand, whether he has one month, 2 years or even 5 years to improve, I dont seem him improving much at all.
One of my friends said that because Van Persie was so violent and angry as a child, he had to go to a special school for disruptive children. This doesn't sound like a sensible idea to me. Having angry children all together at one school, imagine how many fights there would be. Is it true though?
Reply 4378
Nets two weeks will make or break our season imo. Hope some of our squaddies can step up their game, Sunday was poor. :s-smilie:
3 home games and a cup final before Barça. Should be 4 wins if we turn up.

Latest