The Student Room Group

Did you visit a Uni and KNOW immediately it was the place for you?

Scroll to see replies

At the moment I feel totally lost, and have run out of money half way through post offer open days... I *really* hope Bristol is the right choice!
Reply 141
yes yes I did :smile: happened with sheffield :biggrin:
Reply 142
Happened with St. Andrews. A crisp, cold day with clear skies and 600 years of history.
Reply 143
When I went Harper Adams.. I knew that I wanted to go there and I would fit in there.. but it's not the same for everyone! :P
so far i've only visited kingston

i was disappointed in how the campus looked. the town was nice

but i don't think i'll be going to kingston it looks like more of a developed college than anything
Reply 145
I only have been to visit UWE, Nottingham Trent and Kingston and Kingston seems the best... I loved it :smile: x
Reply 146
Original post by pippa90
Lol I go to Kingston Uni. It's pretty bad for most subjects but for Art and Design it's one of the best. Was talking to a girl on another art and design course here and she says it's pretty similar :/ Depends what you're like though really, most people on my course seem to be having a great time apart from the stress of all the work!

I have heard the same from some students, for surveying its meant to be really good and Art etc. Just really hope it is when i go :smile: x
I definitely liked Leicester when I first visited, it was a really sunny day and the guide we had was very friendly, the talks were interesting and I really liked the department. I kind of felt like I wanted to be there but also that I had to visit other places to compare first, and have a long hard think about it. It took me absolutely AGES to finally decide my firm and insurance but in the end they both ended up being Leicester. I knew I didn't want to be anywhere else. :h:
Reply 148
Original post by Shelly_x
Yeah :smile: I went to visit it quite a lot too just to make sure and i fell more and more in love.

It says on your location Leeds\York - does that mean you moved from Leeds to Uni of York? I love the look of York its a strong contender for me :smile:
Reply 149
I've only been to a few open days, but I can relate to the idea of warming to a university very quickly (and likewise being turned off very quickly). Exeter College and Hertford College (Oxford) were both incredibly friendly places to visit, as was Bristol (although stunning weather does tend to help- being from Cumbria I couldn't believe how hot it was in summer!)

Conversely, Lancaster was terrible: I'm not willing to spend three years of my life on a housing estate.
So, how did people know when they were at the "right" uni for them?
Original post by hassom
I have heard the same from some students, for surveying its meant to be really good and Art etc. Just really hope it is when i go :smile: x

What are you going to study? :smile:
I visited some unis which I knew were definitely not for me. I knew I liked Edinburgh (the place) when I visited because it was tipping it down with rain and I still loved it! It's just instincts really. Don't go to a place with any preconceived ideas about what it will be like and see how you feel when you get there :smile:. Don't be disappointed if it turns out you don't actually like a certain uni/place; it's always better to listen to your gut.
Reply 153
Original post by pippa90
What are you going to study? :smile:

Building Surveying
Original post by roooobyn.
It says on your location Leeds\York - does that mean you moved from Leeds to Uni of York? I love the look of York its a strong contender for me :smile:

I moved from Leeds to York St John. Uni of York is good though, my boyfriend is going next year :smile: Its a lot further away from the city center than YSJ but you also have everything on campus for you.
Reply 155
I moved from Leeds to York St John. Uni of York is good though, my boyfriend is going next year :smile: Its a lot further away from the city center than YSJ but you also have everything on campus for you.

Ah cool :smile: So whats York like to live in? I know its not famous for having lots of nightclubs but the bars and pubs look great, have you enjoyed the nightlife or gotten bored? Also, what are the local people like? Thanks :redface:
Ah cool :smile: So whats York like to live in? I know its not famous for having lots of nightclubs but the bars and pubs look great, have you enjoyed the nightlife or gotten bored? Also, what are the local people like? Thanks :redface:

There are quite a few nightclubs actually, compared to what people would have you believe, theres at least 5 anyway :P. Yeah i love the nightlife, its great in York cos im still discovering new bars and that now and ive been here for months :smile:. Theres something for everyone tbh. The locals are okay, a lot of old people :P. Though obviously you'll have different locals to me due to you being at the other side of York.
Reply 157
There are quite a few nightclubs actually, compared to what people would have you believe, theres at least 5 anyway :P. Yeah i love the nightlife, its great in York cos im still discovering new bars and that now and ive been here for months :smile:. Theres something for everyone tbh. The locals are okay, a lot of old people :P. Though obviously you'll have different locals to me due to you being at the other side of York.

Aw fab, thanks you've been really helpful! :redface: As a final question, and I dont know whether you'll have moved into your own shared house as yet, but do you know whether its expensive to live in York in your second and third years with friends?
Aw fab, thanks you've been really helpful! :redface: As a final question, and I dont know whether you'll have moved into your own shared house as yet, but do you know whether its expensive to live in York in your second and third years with friends?

I haven't yet, but we've got our house for next year. Mine is £66 a week and its over the road from the city centre. The houses around York uni are reallyy cheap and quite nice. I was very envious when i was looking for mine :smile:
Yeah I did with most of mine. Even looking at some unis websites I knew that was the university I want to go to even though I've not visited it yet strange lol. I just got a good feeling from looking at some sites and visiting other unis there was a good vibe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending