The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qcdang

Original post by qcdang
Rejection from UCL. It was anticipated. I'm still sad though

sorry to hear that, as a fellow UCL candidate i am also expecting a rejection, i hope your other choices gave you offers, can i ask if it's ok when did you send your application/lnat and score, academics, did you just recive it.
Reply 3261
Original post by lfcwatcher
sorry to hear that, as a fellow UCL candidate i am also expecting a rejection, i hope your other choices gave you offers, can i ask if it's ok when did you send your application/lnat and score, academics, did you just recive it.

Thanks :smile:. I sent off my application in the middle of November. Lnat was 15 which I know was really bad. I'm international so in don't have gcse grades but I got 4As for AS, predicted grades for A2 are A*A*A*A*.
Doing maths further maths economics and law.
Just received the decision this afternoon. Sigh.
Reply 3262
Original post by ellie36
Maybe it seems that KCL have lower entry standards because they pay more attention to the LNAT so they might accept students with slightly lower academic grades if they have a good LNAT score? Just a theory :smile:

I have a 40 predicted on the IB and 26 on the LNAT and KCL still rejected me... so I don't really know what exactly they're looking for :tongue:
Reply 3263

Same here...I'm also expecting a rejection due to my LNAT Score
Original post by verysilvery445
Boo, rejected from KCL :frown:

Guess I was kinda expecting it...but still...:frown:

Guess UCL will be out of the window too :rolleyes:

Durham, don't let me down :colondollar:

exactly the same situation but with warwick instead of durham! so tense :/
Reply 3265
Original post by qcdang
Rejection from UCL. It was anticipated. I'm still sad though

Me too! Let's wallow in our misery together )): where else have you applied?
Reply 3266
Original post by Pavlina
I have a 40 predicted on the IB and 26 on the LNAT and KCL still rejected me... so I don't really know what exactly they're looking for :tongue:

ah you're martin's friend aren't you! hi (: did you hear back from UCL yet?
Reply 3267
Original post by ellie36
Maybe it seems that KCL have lower entry standards because they pay more attention to the LNAT so they might accept students with slightly lower academic grades if they have a good LNAT score? Just a theory :smile:

That's true. which sucks. I know someone who got in with 38 points and a really good LNAT score. which is ridiculous because 38 is the bare minimum that they ask for. and people with much higher points get rejected just because of the LNAT :/
Reply 3268
Original post by Pavlina

Original post by Pavlina

i've heard they place a lot of emphasis on GCSEs..
Reply 3269
Original post by loxemori
ah you're martin's friend aren't you! hi (: did you hear back from UCL yet?

OH MY GOD!
Small world! Yes it's me haha! Haven't heard from UCL, you? The wait is driving me crazy...
Reply 3270
Original post by pp93
i've heard they place a lot of emphasis on GCSEs..

I was doing the French Baccalaureate during my GCSE years, so basically I took extra classes to do the GCSEs and could only do three of them. I did english language and litterature + math, and got 2 A* and an A.
Reply 3271
Original post by Pavlina

Original post by Pavlina

Probably look for a certain spark in personal statements

Spoiler

Original post by qcdang

Original post by qcdang
Thanks :smile:. I sent off my application in the middle of November. Lnat was 15 which I know was really bad. I'm international so in don't have gcse grades but I got 4As for AS, predicted grades for A2 are A*A*A*A*.
Doing maths further maths economics and law.
Just received the decision this afternoon. Sigh.

keep your chin up mate, your grades are brilliant and i am sure your lnat score won't effect your application to other universities, UCL are very strict on the LNAT, have you applied elswhere?
That's true. which sucks. I know someone who got in with 38 points and a really good LNAT score. which is ridiculous because 38 is the bare minimum that they ask for. and people with much higher points get rejected just because of the LNAT :/

true, but on the other hand does this give people who didn't do great in school an opportunity to show that they've actually got the brains to study law - there are
some cases where grades are no indication of intellect.
Reply 3274
Original post by Uneschka
true, but on the other hand does this give people who didn't do great in school an opportunity to show that they've actually got the brains to study law - there are
some cases where grades are no indication of intellect.

grades are not a reflection of intellect at all, but of hard work. so it sucks for the people who worked their asses off to get the grades and it's great for the people who are naturally smarter x]
(edited 13 years ago)
Did anyone else feel the LNAT could have been a good aptitude test if we were actually given enough time to properly understand the text and discriminate between the answers

It seems that a lot of very clever people- grades wise have not got good LNAT scores and its a little unfair how all your hard work is destroyed by a stupid test that some excellent universities such as LSE, Warwick, Cambridge for example dont even use as they have said its not an appropriate indicator and other unis that use it such as Bristol and Birgimham are now sort of ignoring (giving people offers with quite low LNAT scores)

Whats the point of setting an aptitude test that most of these unis do not think is an accurate reflection of your ability
Maybe it should be more like the American aptitude test it seems like a better idea..................this was not so much of an actual aptitude test but rather how fast coud you read and click answers!

Yeah sorry just my little rant there............
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3276
Original post by anoushka1
Did anyone else feel the LNAT could have been a good aptitude test if we were actually given enough time to properly understand the text and discriminate between the answers

It seems that a lot of very clever people- grades wise have not got good LNAT scores and its a little unfair how all your hard work is destroyed by a stupid test that some excellent universities such as LSE, Warwick, Cambridge for example dont even use as they have said its not an appropriate indicator and other unis that use it such as Bristol and Birgimham are now sort of ignoring (giving people offers with quite low LNAT scores)

Whats the point of setting an aptitude test that most of these unis do not think is an accurate reflection of your ability
Maybe it should be more like the American aptitude test it seems like a better idea..................this was not so much of an actual aptitude test but rather how fast coud you read and click answers!

I found that I had enough time to read and answer the questions and even check through some answers.

I definitely think the essay section is worthwhile. But I'm not so sure about the multiple choice, especially since you could click randomly and get the right answer to two or three questions and that could make or break your application. But I think I probably just don't have the aptitude to be a lawyer so I probably shouldn't judge. x]
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3277
Original post by anoushka1

Didn't do terribly well for my lnat, got a 22, but I found that while it was trying to test for critical thinking, a nagging thought at the back of my mind told me that it was testing for luck as well.
grades are not a reflection of intellect at all, but of hard work. so it sucks for the people who worked their asses off to get the grades and it's great for the people who are naturally smarter x]

You're right... I'm not really a big fan of the British system of uni admission anyway, placing that much emphasis on how you perform as a teenager seems inappropriate to me.

But I think I probably just don't have the aptitude to be a lawyer so I probably shouldn't judge. x]

Don't say that! if anything, the LNAT only reflects your aptitude of one particular day, loads of other factors are important too, doesn't matter what UCL says! Don't lose faith in yourself:smile:
Reply 3279
Original post by lfcwatcher
go for Birmingham simply because of the city, i hear reputation wise there very similar but you may like Birmingham more. alternatively flick a coin or use a dart bored :P[/QUO

haha hmmm i love both cities:/ i was going to go on reputation/employability but i don't think theres much difference! looks like coin it is.. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending