The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
There's a word shinshin which means mind and body, which may be of some use. Which is more important, having a cool sounding name or having a name which is correct and natural sounding Japanese?
Reply 1321
Original post by Azimuth
There's a word shinshin which means mind and body, which may be of some use. Which is more important, having a cool sounding name or having a name which is correct and natural sounding Japanese?

Real Japanese I guess. Why does it matter? Do you have several ideas?
I looked up shinshin, would it be something like shinshin no juu then?
Reply 1322
Original post by Xurvi
Real Japanese I guess. Why does it matter? Do you have several ideas?
I looked up shinshin, would it be something like shinshin no juu then?

Well it might be that the most correct translation doesn't sound as cool as something that's maybe a bit wrong. :tongue:

I've heard yawarakasa to mean suppleness before. So perhaps shinshin no yawarakasa, which surprisingly does have at least a few hits on Google. Personally I think juu shin tai sounds pretty cool even if it doesn't really mean anything :3

[Usual disclaimer of I'm not a native speaker etc. etc.]
Reply 1323
Dead thread is dead.

I asked a Japanese lecturer... She suggested juunansa for suppleness, so we went for shinshin no juunansa.

Thanks for the help by the way!
Original post by Xurvi
Dead thread is dead.

I asked a Japanese lecturer... She suggested juunansa for suppleness, so we went for shinshin no juunansa.

Thanks for the help by the way!

Maybe if TSR ever get their act together and fix the non-latin characters issue it will live again. *sigh*
Reply 1325
Yeah. Hopefully they won't take much longer.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel like classes just don't cut it any more, so I'm looking for some practice on my own but my level's still too low to be able to simply read newspapers and all. Does anyone know of resources that don't require a too good level of Japanese to read or listen to?
Original post by Xurvi
Yeah. Hopefully they won't take much longer.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel like classes just don't cut it any more, so I'm looking for some practice on my own but my level's still too low to be able to simply read newspapers and all. Does anyone know of resources that don't require a too good level of Japanese to read or listen to?

Children's books?
Reply 1327
Original post by Glutamic Acid
Children's books?

I suppose yeah. But I was wondering if there were more precise suggestions, as in a particular children book or podcast etc.
Hello :smile: :hello:
Reply 1329
Original post by Glutamic Acid
Children's books?

That would be helpful for me :smile:

How do you say "The roads are safe" in Japanese
Reply 1330
Is anybody here taking or have already taken A level Japanese? I'm preparing to take the AS exam on edexcel this may but finding resources is an absolute nightmare. I've looked at the edexcel spec and am currently going through the kanji list making sure I've learned everything but if anyone could recommend any books/sites/etc that expand upon the information in the spec I'd be forever greatful!
Hi all!

I've recently won a scholarship to the University of Tokyo. The scholarship comes with a bursary.
After rent and utilities/internet, I have 70,000 yen per month for living expenses (food, underground subway, leisure).

I've been told this isn't really enough. How much does it cost to feed yourself in Tokyo?
Just a couple of notes:

1) I'm very frugal with my food, from using fresh vegetables and home cooking: it only costs me £25 a week to feed myself in England.
2) I don't drink much alcohol or go clubbing or have a massive shopping addiction!

Personal experiences would be fantastic!! What do you suggest I budget?
Thank you for all replies
Original post by screenager2004
Hi all!

I've recently won a scholarship to the University of Tokyo. The scholarship comes with a bursary.
After rent and utilities/internet, I have 70,000 yen per month for living expenses (food, underground subway, leisure).

I've been told this isn't really enough. How much does it cost to feed yourself in Tokyo?
Just a couple of notes:

1) I'm very frugal with my food, from using fresh vegetables and home cooking: it only costs me £25 a week to feed myself in England.
2) I don't drink much alcohol or go clubbing or have a massive shopping addiction!

I personally think that would be OK if that is after rent and bills. You obviously won't be able to live like a king, but you should be able to just about get by. Like you said - you won't be able to lavish yourself with treats and the like.

It might be worth asking if the university allows you to work outside of school hours. Sometimes you can go to the visa office in Tokyo, fill in a few forms, and get permission to work up to 20 hours a week on your visa - which you might be able to fill with minor English teaching roles. I have even known some people get paid to teach some informal English at other local universities.

If you can, it might be worth working to save up some money before you go - as a bit of a buffer to enjoy yourself more.

The short answer: yes you can easily live on that, but the more money you have - the easier life will be, especially in the first few weeks.
Reply 1333
Heya! how are you all doing?

I need a bit of advice...: I want to buy my first electronic dictionary. Which ones do you all use? I need one that would include japanese, english and possibly french? I have the opportunity of getting it brought back to me straight from Japan, but I just don't know which one to choose!! Also, I don't want an über-expensive one. So not the brand new casio that goes at just under $600 that I've seen on a website!

Any advice in make, and possibly models would be appreciated :smile: Thanks!!
Original post by atheistwithfaith
I personally think that would be OK if that is after rent and bills. You obviously won't be able to live like a king, but you should be able to just about get by. Like you said - you won't be able to lavish yourself with treats and the like.

It might be worth asking if the university allows you to work outside of school hours. Sometimes you can go to the visa office in Tokyo, fill in a few forms, and get permission to work up to 20 hours a week on your visa - which you might be able to fill with minor English teaching roles. I have even known some people get paid to teach some informal English at other local universities.

If you can, it might be worth working to save up some money before you go - as a bit of a buffer to enjoy yourself more.

The short answer: yes you can easily live on that, but the more money you have - the easier life will be, especially in the first few weeks.

Ah thank you so much. I was worrying that I would have to turn the scholarship down because I wouldn't physically be able to feed myself. I have no idea what the cost of living is like in Japan! They do allow part time work to overseas students, I will need to check whether that is applicable to students on this particular scholarship.

I am in employment currently and should fairly easily be able to save up a couple of thousand pounds before October as long as I don't go crazy with my spending. That'd give me an extra 7~8000 yen (or so) a week..... I hate the thought of handing my notice in.. I really liked that job!

I'm so scared. I am terrified of being away from my friends and family for so long, but I just know I can't turn down this opportunity, I'd regret it for the rest of my life! So many mixed emotions right now. I'm elated one minute and terrified the next.
(edited 13 years ago)
Ah thank you so much. I was worrying that I would have to turn the scholarship down because I wouldn't physically be able to feed myself. I have no idea what the cost of living is like in Japan! They do allow part time work to overseas students, I will need to check whether that is applicable to students on this particular scholarship.

I am in employment currently and should fairly easily be able to save up a couple of thousand pounds before October as long as I don't go crazy with my spending. That'd give me an extra 7~8000 yen (or so) a week..... I hate the thought of handing my notice in.. I really liked that job!

I'm so scared. I am terrified of being away from my friends and family for so long, but I just know I can't turn down this opportunity, I'd regret it for the rest of my life! So many mixed emotions right now. I'm elated one minute and terrified the next.

I think everyone is scared at the prospect of these kind of things - just make sure you don't think it will be terrible (or it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy) or think it will be amazing all the time (or you will fall to pieces when culture shock hits you). I am hoping to go to Japan this summer, just waiting to hear back from a programme I applied for.
Original post by atheistwithfaith
I think everyone is scared at the prospect of these kind of things - just make sure you don't think it will be terrible (or it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy) or think it will be amazing all the time (or you will fall to pieces when culture shock hits you). I am hoping to go to Japan this summer, just waiting to hear back from a programme I applied for.

Best of luck to you!!! I hope you hear back soon!
I heard back two hours after my interview, I was in shock! I was expecting a proper nerve-racking three week wait or something!!!
Reply 1337
Original post by kestral
That would be helpful for me :smile:

How do you say "The roads are safe" in Japanese

I may be mistaken, but:

?????????
(???????????
(douro wa anzen desu)

edit:
damn. no japanese character support. sorry.
Reply 1338
Can anyone explain to me the difference between the particules Kara and Node please? It seems to me they both mean the same thing, or is there a subtle difference?
Reply 1339
Hi all!

Just a couple of notes:

Congratulations! What scholarship is it? What are you going to be studying?

Quick Reply

Latest