The Student Room Group

21 and no work experience

What the title says. I haven't been able to get work experience due to family circumstances, my disabilities and mental health conditions including social anxiety. I am currently doing a degree (which I'm doing good with), but I want to work a part time job, despite my poor health. I don't have any work experience, although I've helped with Girl Guiding, help run a university society as a treasurer and a higher education certificate in Japanese.
(edited 10 months ago)
What kind of part-time job are you thinking of and is it something that requires prior work experience? If so, I'd focus on getting some unpaid work experience in that area and then hopping onto paid work (frustrating though it is to have to work unpaid). That's what I did. I have psychosis, and didn't have any job experience when I finished undergrad, but I used positions of responsibility and conference assisting experience from uni to blag my way onto an expenses-only-but-quite-cool internship a few months after I graduated - which I then followed up with a paid internship! :awesome:

I do wanna say though: try and safeguard your mental health/disabilities as much as possible. Don't expend too much energy all in one go. Tread carefully and mindfully :smile:

Good luck! :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending