The Student Room Group

How to get into Formula 1 through medicine

Formula 1 is a huge passion of me. It's such a beautiful sport and working in it would be my dream. However, I want to study medicine and hopefully become a doctor. I understand there's a high level of unlikeliness that I will never be part of the medicine team in F1/FIA but there's no point not trying. Does anyone know how one would try this?

Scroll to see replies

I'd avoid it if I were you, I've heard working in Formula 1 is the pits.
Reply 2
Original post by justdrivexo
Formula 1 is a huge passion of me. It's such a beautiful sport and working in it would be my dream. However, I want to study medicine and hopefully become a doctor. I understand there's a high level of unlikeliness that I will never be part of the medicine team in F1/FIA but there's no point not trying. Does anyone know how one would try this?

I have exactly the same passion as you for Formula One and Medicine but have no clue how to go about it either!
Reply 3
Original post by jumpinthehurdles
I'd avoid it if I were you, I've heard working in Formula 1 is the pits.

I understand it isn't as glamourous as perceived. In fact, I don't care for that side of Formula 1. I want to be there for the love of it.
haaaaang, on, Ive wanted that for ages,

how did that happen :colonhash:
Reply 5
I understand it isn't as glamourous as perceived. In fact, I don't care for that side of Formula 1. I want to be there for the love of it.

They only tale on the best of the best. So become the best?

it was a joke :colonhash:
Reply 7
Good luck. I also have an ambition to be the doctor on the first vehicle that flies back in time.
there is ONE F1 racing doctor and he is an expert in anaesthetics and emergency medicine who replaced Professor Sid Watkins, a neurosurgeon who was the head of the medical team and first responder in case of a crash for over 20 years. There may be a few more doctor positions in the medical team, MAY being the key word but realistically becoming a F1 doctor is not really a medical career path since the position comes up extremely rarely, the job only ever goes to people in the top of a relevant field which rules out "younger" doctors and there is likely to be some politics involved in who gets the job, as in it would probably help to know the right people. like Sid watkins was friends with and got the job from Bernie Eccleston.
Reply 9
Original post by TinFish
They only tale on the best of the best. So become the best?

Thanks, I'll definitely try my hardest!

Anyone else?
Reply 10
Original post by Kinkerz
Good luck. I also have an ambition to be the doctor on the first vehicle that flies back in time.

I can't quite tell if you're being sarcastic... but if you aren't - good luck to you too!
Reply 11
I literally just reread the title of the thread loads of times 'cause it's the same situation for me! F1 is something I've loved for years and secretly (well not so secretly now...) have always wanted to work somewhere within it. A friend of mine who's uncle is actually one of Force Indias pit crew says that he loves it and sorta gave me the low down after I questioned her VERY extensively about it (not being an F1 enthusiast like me, she was staring at me like I was a nutter). I've also applied for med this year and, to be honest, I know it's really difficult to get in there somehow and even then it's always hard to retain your position, whether you're part of the pit crew or an on-track medic.
It's probably something I'll always dream about but hey don't let it stop you- where there's a will there's a way. Jeez, I sound so cheesy:biggrin:
Can't wait for the season opener wherever they decide to do it seeing as Bahrain is sorta out of the question at the moment.
:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by annaroberts20
there is ONE F1 racing doctor and he is an expert in anaesthetics and emergency medicine who replaced Professor Sid Watkins, a neurosurgeon who was the head of the medical team and first responder in case of a crash for over 20 years. There may be a few more doctor positions in the medical team, MAY being the key word but realistically becoming a F1 doctor is not really a medical career path since the position comes up extremely rarely, the job only ever goes to people in the top of a relevant field which rules out "younger" doctors and there is likely to be some politics involved in who gets the job, as in it would probably help to know the right people. like Sid watkins was friends with and got the job from Bernie Eccleston.

I totally understand and know what you're talking about. Is it possible to become a medic in Formula 1 for a while for the work experience?
Reply 13
I can't quite tell if you're being sarcastic... but if you aren't - good luck to you too!

I think given the fact that you negged me, you have come to the correct assumption that I was being sarcastic.
Reply 14
Original post by Kinkerz
I think given the fact that you negged me, you have come to the correct assumption that I was being sarcastic.

It was very rude of you to treat me like an idiot because I have a dream and something I want to work towards. I might only be a 14 year old girl but that doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the fact that becoming a medic or permanent part of the health team in Formula 1 is hard and almost very nearly impossible. I just know that would be my dream job and I think it's healthy to have dreams and ambitions. It isn't exactly like I've came out with "I want to become a fashion designer in Formula 1". You obviously aren't a fan of F1 and don't understand that the health team there is very important. Now go and bother other people. I was asking for help.

"The word impossible says I'm Possible itself."
I totally understand and know what you're talking about. Is it possible to become a medic in Formula 1 for a while for the work experience?

There may be some positions that may become available within their medical team at certain points. the way I understand it is that they have the main person who actually follows the race rather than be in one pit so no matter where a crash happens he is only a few seconds away. I believe there are also paramedics who actually help to move the person or stabilise and help the doctor but I don't know if they have more doctors within the team or not, worth looking into.
It may not be exactly what you want to do, but it may be more realistic to become a physio for one of the teams. At the end of the day, the drivers are incredible athletes and their health is super important on and off the track.
Reply 17
It was very rude of you to treat me like an idiot because I have a dream and something I want to work towards. I might only be a 14 year old girl but that doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the fact that becoming a medic or permanent part of the health team in Formula 1 is hard and almost very nearly impossible. I just know that would be my dream job and I think it's healthy to have dreams and ambitions. It isn't exactly like I've came out with "I want to become a fashion designer in Formula 1". You obviously aren't a fan of F1 and don't understand that the health team there is very important. Now go and bother other people. I was asking for help.

I clearly accept that the health team is important. I just think the odds of working in it are pretty slim.

To be fair, fashion designer in F1 would probably open up more opportunity...

Well obviously you're possible... you apparently exist. But no, let's get things straight, impossible has a very specific definition.
Reply 18

Apparently the word 'impossible' is not very good at basic grammar, then. What does "I'm Possible" even mean?
I suppose you'd have to get to consultancy level or a very senior position before you'd be selected.

Don't quote me on this though.

Latest

Trending

Trending