The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It if often said here that Arsenal are well run and have loads of money to spend.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6785852,00.html
Essentially, you made a loss because you didnt sell anyone good. Not a good sign tbh.
I think trying to prioritise competitions is what gets players not to give 100% in every game. Wilshere was playing in his Wembley final and it showed. For other players, like Arshavin, it was just another league cup game. Every game from now on is equally important. I don't trust the manager to make the players understand that and I don't trust him to motivate the players, but we have 2 guys at the centre of the pitch that would be just as hurt as any Arsenal fan out there. Luckily, they both happen to be brilliant footballers with a great presence -- it's up to Fabregas to lead the team out. I said Wilshere deserved to play with 10 other players who give as much of a **** as he does, well Cesc is certainly one of them.

I'm sure everyone remembers getting knocked out after the 2004 FA Cup and CL and then going 2-1 down at HT against Liverpool, and then Henry was brilliant in the second half and won the game. It's going to need those sorts of performances from Fabregas (with Wilshere, Nasri etc. supporting). The team are going to have to motivate themselves because the manager will do **** all.
Original post by rorydaredking
It if often said here that Arsenal are well run and have loads of money to spend.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6785852,00.html
Essentially, you made a loss because you didnt sell anyone good. Not a good sign tbh.

It's probably not a bad sign either. It's an obvious sign given these reasons:

Arseblog
Arsenal are set to release their interim financial results shortly which will cover the period June November 2010. According to the Arsenal Supporter’s Trust we could well see the club post a loss for the first time in a long time. There are five main contributors to this:

No major players sales in the summer in previous years we’ve earned big on Adebayor, Toure, Henry, Hleb etc. This time only Eduardo left the first team squad. The £56m profit from last year included £38m from player sales.

Improved contracts - 17 player contracts have been improved and the wage bill has increased by £7m

Property deals done a projected £4m profit on sales of Highbury Square flats and only the Queensland Road site remains. This is likely to be sold within 12-18 months

Commercial income static Arsenal’s sponsorship deals, tied in with the new stadium, mean we earn far less than many of our competitors and commercial income has stagnated. However, reviews of sponsorship deals are being looked at as is the prospect of a foreign tour this summer.

Timing as we play more fixtures, and more high profile fixtures, in the second half of the season, match day and TV revenue is greater in that period.

Now, that might all sound bad, but it’s merely an explanation as to why these results will be posted. The fact that we didn’t sell a major player this summer could easily be seen as a positive, for example, and hints at a greater underlying financial strength.
Original post by Overmars

It's probably not a bad sign either. It's an obvious sign given these reasons:

Fair play. The last point could be very true. And I suppose there was that talk of a 300m?? tour to Japan.
Reply 5104
Original post by Psychotic546

Bowyer if you couldn't guess...

Jack Wilshere tweeted: "Well done to the BCFC player who slapped Koscielny on the head when they scored, very big of you!"

It was Barry Ferguson according to Goal.com: Pictures clearly show that the player in question is Birmingham's former Rangers midfielder Ferguson, and he and Wilshere had a coming together in injury time as the match slipped away from Arsene Wenger's side.
Original post by rorydaredking
Fair play. The last point could be very true. And I suppose there was that talk of a 300m?? tour to Japan.

Yup. I think Gazidis has been pushing for it because it's an obvious way for the club to make a lot of money and we are missing out on what other top clubs are doing. But Wenger has always been against the idea of attract that much attention and thinks it'd be unnecessarily tiring for the squad ahead of the season. But I guess the higher powers are set to have their way.

Japan's probably the most convenient given that Arsenal have recently bought a highly-rated Japanese youngster (now on loan at the Dutch league) and Japan is also the place Wenger started out so he'd probably have an idea of where he'd want to set-up.
The '£300m' refers to a potential increase in revenue towards the £300m mark.....
Original post by Kevmeister
The '£300m' refers to a potential increase in revenue towards the £300m mark.....

I thought it sounded a bit much just for a tour :biggrin:
Reply 5108
Ferguson n bowyer are both *****.

Any news on the Rvp injury?
A 2.5 million loss is absolutely bugger all, and a great sign financially that we're not relying on selling players for big money to balance the books.
Reply 5110
Does anyone know if Szsezny has said anything on his twitter yet?
Reply 5111
I think trying to prioritise competitions is what gets players not to give 100% in every game. Wilshere was playing in his Wembley final and it showed. For other players, like Arshavin, it was just another league cup game. Every game from now on is equally important. I don't trust the manager to make the players understand that and I don't trust him to motivate the players, but we have 2 guys at the centre of the pitch that would be just as hurt as any Arsenal fan out there. Luckily, they both happen to be brilliant footballers with a great presence -- it's up to Fabregas to lead the team out. I said Wilshere deserved to play with 10 other players who give as much of a **** as he does, well Cesc is certainly one of them.

I'm sure everyone remembers getting knocked out after the 2004 FA Cup and CL and then going 2-1 down at HT against Liverpool, and then Henry was brilliant in the second half and won the game. It's going to need those sorts of performances from Fabregas (with Wilshere, Nasri etc. supporting). The team are going to have to motivate themselves because the manager will do **** all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=YYG5DbF6fS0&gl=US

2004 = best arsenal team and squad ever
Rosicky out, Lansbury in.
Reply 5113
Yup. I think Gazidis has been pushing for it because it's an obvious way for the club to make a lot of money and we are missing out on what other top clubs are doing. But Wenger has always been against the idea of attract that much attention and thinks it'd be unnecessarily tiring for the squad ahead of the season. But I guess the higher powers are set to have their way.

Japan's probably the most convenient given that Arsenal have recently bought a highly-rated Japanese youngster (now on loan at the Dutch league) and Japan is also the place Wenger started out so he'd probably have an idea of where he'd want to set-up.

Is that really the reasoning Wenger has? I mean overseas tours aren't that bad and Arsenal are definitely missing out on some easy money.
Original post by Barça
Is that really the reasoning Wenger has? I mean overseas tours aren't that bad and Arsenal are definitely missing out on some easy money.

Yeah he's always preferred to get teams to come to us so we don't have to travel. Plus it gives us some silverware (Emirates Cup :rolleyes:)
Think with our new sponsorship deals in mind we'll have to try and become more of a brand though which I guess is good although I was hoping to go to the Emirates cup this year :frown:
Usually I'm all up for defending players but IMO, Rosicky has played his last season with AFC. He was piss poor, anonymous, broke down attacks, you name it he done it.

Sad to see it as he was a fine fine player, but hes not got back anywhere near his best.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/9522435

ahh Thierry, any time. I'm seeking solace in reliving past glories, this must be what being a Liverpool fan is like..

edit: Vela scores his second goal in as many games to get WBA level. Who says he never scores important goals. It'd be hilarious if he kept them up.
(edited 13 years ago)
I can't believe Rosicky is 31 this year! :eek3: Well, I can but just surprised.
Reply 5118
Original post by voodoomagic
ahh Thierry, any time. I'm seeking solace in reliving past glories, this must be what being a Liverpool fan is like..

You've gone longer without a trophy :fyi: :colonhash:
Original post by Hantheman

Original post by Hantheman
A 2.5 million loss is absolutely bugger all, and a great sign financially that we're not relying on selling players for big money to balance the books.

Well tbh mate I think it shows the complete opposite. You cant make any money unless you sell players. And you cant buy unless you make a profit.

Latest