The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by around
Even after today's lecture?

I wasn't there. I mean the content of the course really as opposed to anything else. Why was this lecture so rubbish?
Out of curiosity, does anyone know why the Archimedeans' IA lecture notes were taken down?
Reply 5842
Original post by tommm
Out of curiosity, does anyone know why the Archimedeans' IA lecture notes were taken down?

Dunno, but it seems very odd. Perhaps contact the committee?
Reply 5843
Original post by Daniel Freedman
I wasn't there. I mean the content of the course really as opposed to anything else. Why was this lecture so rubbish?

It was pretty much entirely devoted to a proof that if R is an Euclidean domain, so is R[X] which was long, tedious and boring. Also, I'm not enamoured by the recent material we've covered (ex. 3 is probably going to be horrifically boring). I suppose once we get on to modules though it will start perking up again.
Original post by tommm

Apparently, one of the Caius first years let it slip that they were available to one of the lecturers, who wasn't happy that they'd put them up there without his permission. Just a rumour though.
http://www.maths.bris.ac.uk/~mayt/MATH11007/2010/problems/sheet15.pdf

Anyone know how to do question 5? I've missed too many lectures and I've got no idea what's going on.

I'm reading the notes and it's confusing me: they say the gradient vector is normal to the line, even though it'd surely be tangent to it (as it's the gradient?!)

My working for part (a):

Put f(x,y) = 1-(x^2)(y^2)
Gradient of f(x,y) = (-2(y^2)(x), -2(x^2)(y)) with x=2, y=-1/2 which evaluates to (-1,4).

Shouldn't (-1,4) be the tangent vector of the curve? My notes say it's normal.
Original post by primaverasnap

Anyone know how to do question 5? I've missed too many lectures and I've got no idea what's going on.

I'm reading the notes and it's confusing me: they say the gradient vector is normal to the line, even though it'd surely be tangent to it (as it's the gradient?!)

My working for part (a):

Gradient of f(x,y) = (-2(y^2)(x), -2(x^2)(y)) with x=2, y=-1/2 which evaluates to (-1,4).

Your notes are right, grad f is normal to the level sets of f. Grad f points in the direction of greatest increase of, for instance in this case f(x,y) = x^2*y^2.
Reply 5847
Original post by primaverasnap

My working for part (a):

Yves' lectures are really quite useful, whereas the notes are a little less clear (immediately, at least). I've realised they and LAG (only because notes are put up way too late) lectures are the only ones worth going to. A little annoying that Calculus is a 10am and 9am though.
Original post by Slumpy
I still need to hit up klute before my friend graduates. Is it as bad as all that?

(Sorry for dredging up a fairly old post)
I didn't think it was that bad... I mean the music is pure cheese but the quaddies are pretty good for getting you wrecked.
Reply 5849
Original post by Hedgeman49
(Sorry for dredging up a fairly old post)
I didn't think it was that bad... I mean the music is pure cheese but the quaddies are pretty good for getting you wrecked.

Sounds like my kinda place.
Its been a very very long time since I made a post and so I just thought I'd pop my head in and say Hi.

Hope your degrees are all going well :h:
Original post by The Muon
Its been a very very long time since I made a post and so I just thought I'd pop my head in and say Hi.

Hope your degrees are all going well :h:

Same to you too!
Official "Funniest Use of Subscripts in Lectures" Award, Part IA of the Mathematical Tripos 2010/11:

3rd place: μ2\mu_2 (Grimmett)

2nd place: yiy_i (Siklos)

1st place: bjb_j (Saxl)
Reply 5853
Original post by tommm
Official "Funniest Use of Subscripts in Lectures" Award, Part IA of the Mathematical Tripos 2010/11:

I would give Grimmett first however.
I'm having a problem with propositional logic.

Is the definition of a tautology that your reasoning from an empty set like the thing that it follows from is empty? Or is the definition of a tautology that the valuation is 1. Like gave weird definition for empty being the empty set definition. However, thought a tautology is something like P or not P, not vacuous reasoning.

Also, hi Muon.
Original post by tommm

At one point last term we had xnkrx_{n_{k_r}} and ynkry_{n_{k_r}} . If you say the last one very quickly... with some distortion... :tongue:
Original post by meatball893
At one point last term we had xnkrx_{n_{k_r}} and ynkry_{n_{k_r}} . If you say the last one very quickly... with some distortion... :tongue:

Was discussing bad notation in a tutorial with the lecturer today.

Hmm, that just seems like god awful notation. What Mathematical object is that?

Literally, that is the worst notation I have ever seen.
Original post by Simplicity
Was discussing bad notation in a tutorial with the lecturer today.

Hmm, that just seems like god awful notation. What Mathematical object is that?

Literally, that is the worst notation I have ever seen.

It was in the proof for the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem for complex sequences.
I haven't come up with a way of proving that the compact linear operators are a closed subset of the bounded linear operators without invoking some horrible notation like that.
Reply 5859
Original post by IrrationalNumber
I haven't come up with a way of proving that the compact linear operators are a closed subset of the bounded linear operators without invoking some horrible notation like that.

I think by being careful you can WLOG the nasty notation out.

Quick Reply

Latest