The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clarj018
Warwick or Birmingham guys?
I know Warwick is higher in the league tables but its not got the same experience as Birmingham does it. Help?

There's so little difference between Birmingham and Warwick in terms of qualitty of education and reputation amongst employers that you really shouldn't take the league tables into account that much when it comes to making your decision. I'd understand if you were chosing between Warwick and Leeds Met, but in terms of B'ham vs. Warwick, the differences are minute.

I suggest the best way of making your decision would be to visit (if you haven't already) both universities and get a feel of which place is right for you and where you would most enjoy spending 3 years of your life. After all, you won't succeed in your degree unless you are happy.
Original post by B.angeL_x
QMUL or Notts?? :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

With regards to the league tables, Queen Mary is ranked higher than Nottingham (3rd in the country and 1st in London according to the Guardian). It's also ranked highly by the Sunday Telegraph. However, in terms of reputation amongst employers, the two are on a fairly level playing field, so you shouldn't use the league tables solely to make your decision.

In this case, I'd suggest you visit both universities and choose which one feels right. The experience you get in London will naturally be much different to the one you get in Nottingham, so you should choose where you think you will be happy. As I've just mentioned to someone else, if you're not happy where you're studying, then you won't succeed in your degree.
Original post by Daniiel
Trying to decide between Warwick and Exeter now. :smile:

Warwick is with the year abroad in English.
Exeter has the option to apply for that after 1st year.

Personally i'm not 100% sure on year abroad still. :eek:

Visited Exeter and felt i'd fit in there most, but;

I know Warwick has better reputation.

Would you say there's much difference between the two say if I achieved a 2:1 at both? :smile:

Amongst employers, there's very little difference in reputation between the two. The standard of teaching will be very similar. When it comes down to applying for training contracts etc, employers will consider the two universities as fairly equal and will be more interested in your capabilities as a lawyer. I've seen people successfully apply to some of the top London law firms, like Clifford Chance, from both Warwick and Exeter.

However, if you're not entirely sure about the year abroad option yet then it would seem sensible to go for Exeter. Also, if you feel more at home there, then that is where you will be more likely to succeed. You are unlikely to do well in your degree if you are not happy.

Just as a note, the year abroad option is very popular with law firms because it shows that the student has a certain amount of independence, maturity and experience of the world beyond the confines of their university campus.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by klam
Timmona, care to expand? I know people always say LSE yet looking at rankings of UK unis it appears other universities like KCL and UCL rank better than LSE. Why do you think that is?

LSE is generally considered to be better than KCL and Queen Mary because it is good all round, whereas KCL and Queen Mary excel only in certain areas (e.g. QMUL, according to the Guardian, is the best university in London for law but there are certain departments which also drag its reputation down). However, in terms of LSE vs UCL, the two are considered fairly equal, although apparently UCL lawyers have more fun!!

When it comes to getting a job, getting a good degree from any of the UCL, LSE, KCL and Queen Mary will set you in excellent stead for making a competitive application to the top City law firms.
Reply 3884
Original post by LornaSandison1
There's so little difference between Birmingham and Warwick in terms of qualitty of education and reputation amongst employers that you really shouldn't take the league tables into account that much when it comes to making your decision. I'd understand if you were chosing between Warwick and Leeds Met, but in terms of B'ham vs. Warwick, the differences are minute.

I suggest the best way of making your decision would be to visit (if you haven't already) both universities and get a feel of which place is right for you and where you would most enjoy spending 3 years of your life. After all, you won't succeed in your degree unless you are happy.

Thanks Lorna, so basically you reckon I should ignore the league tables.
I want to go to Warwick because its in the Top Ten whereas Birmingham seems to almost totally disappear on some league tables (which league table do you recommend). I like Birmingham atmosphere and think I would fit in better there.
Im still waiting to hear from Warwick, then will either take the offer or apply through UCAS extra for Birmingham.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Original post by clarj018
Thanks Lorna, so basically you reckon I should ignore the league tables.
I want to go to Warwick because its in the Top Ten whereas Birmingham seems to almost totally disappear on some league tables (which league table do you recommend). I like Birmingham atmosphere and think I would fit in better there.
Im still waiting to hear from Warwick, then will either take the offer or apply through UCAS extra for Birmingham.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Well, each league table judges universities using different criteria so it's difficult to say which one's best. But, Birmingham is recognised as an excellent institution all round (it is in the Russell Group, after all) and for law, it is well-known, as is Warwick. League tables can be important but they aren't everything and often they get it wrong. If you were deciding between Leeds Uni and Leeds Met for example, then I think it would be fairly obvious which one to go for if you want the better education. However, I have always got the impression that Birmingham and Warwick will both provide you with equal standards of high education.

Also, in terms of job prospects, Birmingham has a huge legal community, probably 2nd only to London, and certainly more so than Warwick. So going to B'ham university will put you in good stead for finding a training contract/making a successful application to the Bar as well, because there will be plenty of work experience to be had.

So, yes, basically what I'm saying is that, when it comes down to two very similar institutions in terms of reputation, your decision should be based now on which university/city you think will suit you best. Obviously Warwick and Birmingham are quite different, with Warwick being a small, and fairly quiet, historical town and Birmingham being a large, busy, industrial city. Different things suit different people.

Good luck!
Reply 3886
Course: LLB Law
University: KCL
Offer: AAb
(International student)
Got notification from KCL's web admissions system last night and the UCAS update this morning. So happy!
Reply 3887
Original post by tsevron
Course: LLB Law
University: KCL
Offer: AAb
(International student)
Got notification from KCL's web admissions system last night and the UCAS update this morning. So happy!

WOW Congrats! AAb is really great!
Original post by klam
It's likely... although I'm still waiting to hear back from LSE.

So I might see you there - good luck with LSE though! Where are you from?
Reply 3889

Hmm, yes. That's the only reason I applied as well. Although I wasn't too sure about the Spanish culture element, I feel like I've studied that enough already!! There are quite a few universities that offer the Spanish bit as well, like UCL and Southampton, and Queen Mary which is a damned good university for law. I felt so bad about declining their offer!

I just got a reply from the Admissions Secretary at Notts. She said that I had been rejected as their quota for that course was already full (don't see how, I sent my application off at the beginning of November). But the good news is she said I'd been given an offer for straight Law instead :biggrin: I'm so happy, althought now I'm in a bit of a dilemma between Nottingham and Warwick.
has any home student got an offer from kings yet? :s-smilie:

Citing league tables as evidence only misleads. The Guardian league table ranks Stirling above Durham for law; and that's just one instance of its stupidity.

B.angeL_x

Nottingham >>> QMUL in terms of prestige.
There's quite a large argument over QMUL a few pages back. I don't think anyone there contended, however - and this includes a QMUL attendee - that it rivals UCL , Nottingham et al in terms of prestige, employer desirability, competitiveness of entry etc.

It starts around here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29805352#post29805352
Maybe a little before.
Reply 3892
Original post by DM17
Got an offer from Bristol last night! Clearly the LNAT doesn't stand for much with them, thankfully!

Yay! Congrats (: Is it your firm?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Citing league tables as evidence only misleads. The Guardian league table ranks Stirling above Durham for law; and that's just one instance of its stupidity.

Nottingham >>> QMUL in terms of prestige.
There's quite a large argument over QMUL a few pages back. I don't think anyone there contended, however - and this includes a QMUL attendee - that it rivals UCL , Nottingham et al in terms of prestige, employer desirability, competitiveness of entry etc.

It starts around here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29805352#post29805352
Maybe a little before.

the QMUL rankings in the league tables just confuse me! lol..i've always thought nottingham had a better reputation regarding employment but now i'm thinking perhaps going to a london uni may be more beneficial :s-smilie:
Reply 3894
has any home student got an offer from kings yet? :s-smilie:

Yes. Anything you want to know...
Original post by mc13177
Yes. Anything you want to know...

oo congrats:smile: and yup when did you send your ucas off? predicted grades, gcses, lnat score? usual lol.. thaanks x
the QMUL rankings in the league tables just confuse me! lol..i've always thought nottingham had a better reputation regarding employment but now i'm thinking perhaps going to a london uni may be more beneficial :s-smilie:

People come from everywhere to work in London. I think the advantage to be gained from happening to have studied there for the three years before applying for a job there is minimal; even if I was wrong, and it was substantial, I very much doubt it would be enough to offset the prestige advantage Nottingham has over QM.

Don't take this as an attack on QMUL. It isn't. It's just recognition of Nottingham.
Reply 3897
oo congrats:smile: and yup when did you send your ucas off? predicted grades, gcses, lnat score? usual lol.. thaanks x

Beginning of October, A*A*A*, 11 X A* , 25, hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3898
Original post by Adelaide123
Any sign of any offers from Warwick?
I've heard back from everywhere apart from there!

I'm in the same position as you..kinda starting to get worried.
I'd rather just find out now, offer or rejection- need to get applying for accommodation otherwise!
Original post by Lizzieee
I'm in the same position as you..kinda starting to get worried.
I'd rather just find out now, offer or rejection- need to get applying for accommodation otherwise!

Exactly!!!
I don't even want to go to Warwick!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending