The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone notice how more fluid we were with the ball when ramsey came on. Im just glad to have seen him on the pitch in an arsenal top
Reply 6741
i wish we signed smalling....
Reply 6742
Arsenal severely lack a backbone.
Original post by gunit123

Why? If you're referring to our apparently 'leaky' defence, it's well worth noting that we've conceded 3 fewer goals than United in the league this season, and only City and Chelsea have conceded less.
As has been stated time and again, our back up players are truely pathetic. That's the difference between United and us, they can afford to lose a few first teamers and still get a result, we lose a few first teamers and we are woeful. Arshavin, Denilson, Rosicky, Diaby, Chamakh all disgraceful, our defending was a mess and Van Persie totally isolated. Wenger needs to seriously think about what tactics to play when United come to the Emirates because this same rubbish will happen time and again.
Original post by marcusmerehay
As per usual, Koscielny, Sagna, Wilshere and Nasri gave their all and deserved better.

Djourou was immense as well.
Reply 6746
Wow. You lost to a United team with O'Shea and Gibson in the centre, and two fullbacks on the wing. I would say more but that pretty much says it all. And it's not as if Arsenal we're really good and United were lucky, you were quite easily beaten.
djourou out for god knows how long:facepalm2: I'm so disappointed i could cry
Chin up, lads! There's always the Emirates Cup!
Reply 6749
If Diaby starts ahead of Ramsey for any of the remaining games, then it's a joke. Denilson seemed more up for it today and wasn't bad, that might have been due to how much Diaby overshadowed him though.

Rosicky and Chamakh should have scored, couldn't ask for easier chances. And with Squillaci coming in for Djourou now, this is gonna be a tough end to the season.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6750
Original post by Dyed Purple
I swear... any other keeper than Van der Sar then Arsenal would have stood a chance.

like the carling cup final vs ben foster?

another **** performance and no passion from 70% of the team..
for the rest of the season we need ramsey-wilshere-walcott in the same team.. lets face it, arsenal been missing british players from our team for a while.. them along with nasri have a passion.. players like denilson and rosicky can get lost tbh

regarding andy townsends comments, i dont get this pass-pass-pass system we aparently been winning trophies with.. we had a steady defence with a counter attacking system, cole,pires,henry on the left, dixon/lauren and freddie on the right. with machines in the middle set out to defend. there was never this pass around the 18 yard box nonsense. we've been doing this only since when are drought began. 2005.
Original post by jit987
What!, the performance was good enough to score against many other GK's but not against VDS....

How many great saves did he have to make? Probably 2. The thing that made Van Der Sar man of the match was the fact that every other shot as well as those he handled so comfortably, but none of them were great efforts by any means. Man Utd's defence had most of your players fairly comfortably contained.

You missed some good chances, but Man Utd had just as many counter attacks which forced great saves out of Almunia. Man Utd absolutely deserved to win.

Arsenal had no cutting edge tonight. It says something that the only two players that looked willing to burst into their box was Wilshere and Koscielny (once).
Reply 6752
Original post by marcusmerehay
As per usual, Koscielny, Sagna, Wilshere and Nasri gave their all and deserved better.

Koscielny was constantly on the wrong side of his man defensively and should have kept out the first goal. As has been the case with the last couple of games only Wilshere, Nasri, Sagna, RVP and Djourou were acceptable.

Gibbs, Diaby and Denilson were awful and the latter should be sold. Rumours of £10 million, if true, mean a certain sale is needed.

Wenger needed to motivate players further, as if they need any more, and Ramsey should definitely be given more game time.

Overall shocking today, countering was so slow. You would have thought we were 4-0 up when we needed a goal.
Original post by gunit123

GTFO
Original post by Deshi
Wow. You lost to a United team with O'Shea and Gibson in the centre, and two fullbacks on the wing. I would say more but that pretty much says it all. And it's not as if Arsenal we're really good and United were lucky, you were quite easily beaten.

I would take any of this seriously but you support Liverpool... soo :|
Original post by jit987
What!, the performance was good enough to score against many other GK's but not against VDS....

No it wasn't. None of VDS's saves were spectacular. He was just solid in front of goal, just like Almunia.

We were poor, in particularly Rosicky/Diaby/Denilson (as expected).

At least 2 of those 3 should be sold this summer.

Diaby has had 'potential' for 5 years..
Original post by jit987
VDS pulled off 2 amazing saves, the rest were good, but he is a good goalkeeper. He played a good game, but I didn't think he was that far above normal today. United could have easily scored another 3, Rafael's header, Alumina clawed one off the line pretty much, Hernandez at the end. It was a good performance at both ends.

Nasri was good, but should have been deployed centrally :facepalm2:

IMO, without Cesc in the team or Nasri in his role, you don't have the creativity or the defensive grit to play your usual style against a top team. You got killed on the counter today, nothing more.
Original post by vn2009
Makes me feel even sadder, when i look back at the players we had, and i look at some of our players, denilson, diaby, rosicky

Same here. I was recently watching this programme on ESPN classic about Arsenal's unbeaten season and it bought back so much nostalgia. If I had to pick a first team based on players from now and back then, only Fabregas from the current lot would make it.
Original post by QUWERTY
Koscielny was constantly on the wrong side of his man defensively and should have kept out the first goal. As has been the case with the last couple of games only Wilshere, Nasri, Sagna, RVP and Djourou were acceptable.

Gibbs, Diaby and Denilson were awful and the latter should be sold. Rumours of £10 million, if true, mean a certain sale is needed.

Wenger needed to motivate players further, as if they need any more, and Ramsey should definitely be given more game time.

Overall shocking today, countering was so slow. You would have thought we were 4-0 up when we needed a goal.

Gibbs certainly was awful - Denilson and Diaby were too slow getting the ball up the field and not strong enough in the tackle, we really missed Song today.
poor poor djourou :frown:

Latest