The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3920
Original post by Lacrimosa
Unless they've specified in your offer, any subject should be fine. Out of interest, do you study Literature or Language?

Reply 3921
Original post by klam
Hey Kelly, when did you hear back from LSE? Also, when did you send our application in?

Just want to gauge how my application is coming along. Thanks!

I sent my application around mid- november. I got the offer last week.
How do you guys regard UEA for Law?
I've got unconditional offers from Southampton and Exeter for Law LLB.

I've done all the league tables research etc and they seem to be pretty much the same! I've visited both and I preferred Southampton campus, but I prefer Exeter accommodation and Exeter's town. I'm so unsure about what to firm!

Can anyone help me? Please quote me so I know you've replied :smile:
Reply 3924
Original post by High As A Kite
How do you guys regard UEA for Law?

I'm putting it as my insurance.

Personally I really liked the campus (most of it) and Norwich itself is really nice, so I could definately see myself living there. I went to a law taster day at the uni, and the teaching staff we came into contact with seemed really nice (although obviously they wouldn't be dicks to people visiting for the day). The facilities were also fairly standard (not considerably better/worse than any other law schools I've looked at).

I don't know the exact position but UEA always seems to rank really high on the student satisfaction survey (maybe even top) which would suggest it's a great place to go for the whole experience of student life.

It's not ranked as highly as some other unis if you're looking at the league tables, and is not as prestigious, but I'm sure a degree from there would still be highly regarded amongst employers (especially if you manage to do well).

The best advice I can offer is to visit the uni (if you haven't already). You may decide you prefer other places, or you might find you love it. If you really like the place you study at you're more likey to succeed, and bear in mind you will have to spend 3/4 years of your life there, so you will want to be happy.

Also check out the course - do they offer the modules, opportunities, teaching/assesment style etc. you are looking for?

There's so many factors to consider when you're choosing your uni, it's got to come down to your personal preference at the end of the day. Don't let things like league tables and stats get in the way of your decision too much, aim as high as possible but don't go somewhere that you don't like or won't enjoy as much purely based on how good the uni is supposed to be.

Out of interest where else have you got offers from?
Original post by LornaSandison1
Yes, I have seen The Guardian League Table for this year, and I admit there are some surprises in it, but perhaps they are justified. Yes, it's true that research quality etc aren't particularly relevant to undergraduate students, but surely they are important in determining how strong a university is? Obviously, if there are good research levels, then there are [hopefully] good professors, intelligent students and good resources as well. These are what determines a good university. Besides, the Sunday Times also ranks QMUL very highly for Law.

With regards to your second point, I'm not saying that all good universities shoudl require the LNAT - the examples of LSE and Warwick being perfectly valid. My point was that if QMUL did ask for the LNAT, as I believe they plan to do, then they will automatically become a more respected university because there is a common opinion amongst law students that the LNAT universities are [some of] the top universities for law in the UK.

I agree with what you said about QMUL not being as well established as other universities, because it has only started to come into the foreground recently. However, I hope that it will continue to do so in the future as I think it, and especially its law department, has a lot of potential.

Let's face it, we are all vastly under-qualified to decide any of this. At the end of the day, Queen Mary IS a very good law school and there is no point nit-picking...getting a degree from there won't hold anyone back. Heck, one of the Lord Justices of Appeal is from Queen Mary! (By the way, I agree with the person I'm quoting I just feel like adding to this).
Whilst it's not the best of the best in terms of universities, it is probably top ten for law. Their law department is relatively new, but then Warick is a new university altogether so there is no reason why this should hold it back. Law and medicine are probably it's strongest subjects, but it's quite strong at many humanities subjects. Not that this matters to the quality of Law degree. I was surprised to find that it actually dates back to 1123 - however, that was only Bart's, but in terms of it being a new university, it actually has very old roots. It was Queen Mary College in the 1800's some time though. So therefore the whole only old universities being presitigious argument is kind of nullified. I've heard they are introducing the LNAT and bringing in a standard A*AA qualification, which would then make it one of the hardest law schools to get into, as most LNAT universities do not require the A*. Being in the East End is probably another problem it faces - the East End is equated with scummy people, so for a university to be there it must be horrific! And lasty, it's not that much of a recent development of it's law school being good - in 1994 it was rated the number 2 law school in the UK or something along those lines and this year it is consistently ranked in the top 10. I don't think anyone has much basis for saying it's not a good law school, unless they have studied at the law school, found it horrendous and come out with no job prospects.
Original post by jimmyatemyworld
Let's face it, we are all vastly under-qualified to decide any of this. At the end of the day, Queen Mary IS a very good law school and there is no point nit-picking...getting a degree from there won't hold anyone back.

Yes, it will. If you're going for jobs at top sets or firms, competing against Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Durham and Nottingham grads, a degree from QM will disadvantage you. Note my use of 'disadvantage'; it won't make it impossible, which is why the 'one judge is a QM grad' comment is absolutely no argument.

Noone has said it's not a good school. 'Good' in this context encompasses many things, which are valued against each other with different weightings for each person's idea of 'good'. 'Good' does not equate to prestige or employer desirability.
Reply 3927
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Yes, it will. If you're going for jobs at top sets or firms, competing against Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Durham and Nottingham grads, a degree from QM will disadvantage you. Note my use of 'disadvantage'; it won't make it impossible, which is why the 'one judge is a QM grad' comment is absolutely no argument.

Noone has said it's not a good school. 'Good' in this context encompasses many things, which are valued against each other with different weightings for each person's idea of 'good'. 'Good' does not equate to prestige or employer desirability.

'greed.

Although, I feel we should add that we literally are talking only from our perspective.

I met an Oxford Law Grad last night who works in London, but is moving up north shortly, and he made it sound as though with a 2:1 from anywhere, you'll have a shot anywhere except the magic circle (which he stressed even Oxbridge graduates cannot expect to get into.)

Nice guy, said it was probably the worst 3 years of his life, so yeah, I'm looking forward to it now. :s-smilie:
Original post by Mann18
'greed.

Although, I feel we should add that we literally are talking only from our perspective.

I met an Oxford Law Grad last night who works in London, but is moving up north shortly, and he made it sound as though with a 2:1 from anywhere, you'll have a shot anywhere except the magic circle (which he stressed even Oxbridge graduates cannot expect to get into.)

Nice guy, said it was probably the worst 3 years of his life, so yeah, I'm looking forward to it now. :s-smilie:

Should've gone for Cam :tongue:

How's the work ex hunt going? Not spoken to you for ages.
Reply 3929
Should've gone for Cam :tongue:

How's the work ex hunt going? Not spoken to you for ages.

:rofl:

I haven't made any great strides (don't know if I told you that I was rejected for a mini-pupillage that I apparently signed up for at a chambers near me) mainly because I haven't sent anything out due to work commitments. I'm going to try get something before I start uni though, even if it's just a copying job at a local firm.

How about you?

First of all, it is obvious that it is not on an Oxbridge level, because nothing is. When it comes to the top of the top jobs, you will be hard to pressed to find someone who is not an Oxbridge graduate. Therefore the fact a LORD JUSTICE OF APPEAL, and not some random judge as you implied, is a Queen Mary graduate shows a lot, because mostly ALL of them are from Oxbridge. Everyone who didn't go to Oxbridge is technically disadvantaged. In fact, anyone who didn't go to Oxford is slightly disadvantaged as Cambridge tends to play second fiddle. UCL, LSE, Durham and Nottingham are amazing universities. It does not mean if you don't go to one you won't be going to the bar. It doesn't mean if you don't go to one you can't work in a Magic Circle Firm. Saying Queen Mary has poor employer desirability is just a snobbish thing to say - graduate prospects are great because there is a high chance you will get a job in a solicitors firm, which is not a given these days!! Just because you may not be high flying (although you could be) does not mean you've failed in terms of employment. The average day to day solicitor can be earning about £70,000 a year. There is a cut off point where going to a certain level of university means you won't be going to the top of the top, but Queen Mary is not one of them.
Original post by Mann18
:rofl:

I haven't made any great strides (don't know if I told you that I was rejected for a mini-pupillage that I apparently signed up for at a chambers near me) mainly because I haven't sent anything out due to work commitments. I'm going to try get something before I start uni though, even if it's just a copying job at a local firm.

How about you?

Same, I'm buried under work. I've applied to pinsent mason's A level programme - which I don't know if you knew about; I would have told you if I'd have seen you - but ideally want to get something bar-y. Well, if all else fails, my dad knows a solicitor, so I'll beg him to get me into some chambers or just do something there :tongue:
And yeah, you told me about that :tongue: I'm still planning to emulate you and spam every chambers north of Birminghams' email inbox with my CV :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
First of all, it is obvious that it is not on an Oxbridge level, because nothing is. When it comes to the top of the top jobs, you will be hard to pressed to find someone who is not an Oxbridge graduate. Therefore the fact a LORD JUSTICE OF APPEAL, and not some random judge as you implied, is a Queen Mary graduate shows a lot, because mostly ALL of them are from Oxbridge. Everyone who didn't go to Oxbridge is technically disadvantaged. In fact, anyone who didn't go to Oxford is slightly disadvantaged as Cambridge tends to play second fiddle. UCL, LSE, Durham and Nottingham are amazing universities. It does not mean if you don't go to one you won't be going to the bar. It doesn't mean if you don't go to one you can't work in a Magic Circle Firm. Saying Queen Mary has poor employer desirability is just a snobbish thing to say - graduate prospects are great because there is a high chance you will get a job in a solicitors firm, which is not a given these days!! Just because you may not be high flying (although you could be) does not mean you've failed in terms of employment. The average day to day solicitor can be earning about £70,000 a year. There is a cut off point where going to a certain level of university means you won't be going to the top of the top, but Queen Mary is not one of them.

I'll redirect you to my distinction between being disadvantaged in looking for employment and being unable to get it.
Post's not really worth replying to other than to say that, tbh.
I'll redirect you to my distinction between being disadvantaged in looking for employment and being unable to get it.
Post's not really worth replying to other than to say that, tbh.

Well you said good does not equate to employer desirability, implying that Queen Mary has very little employer desirability. I'll point out that employer desirability does not mean 'what the best of the best generally prefer' - it means 'is a degree from this university likely to get you a good job?'. Although, there is now a realisation that it is not appropriate to constantly employ the 'old boys' in the top positions.
Well you said good does not equate to employer desirability, implying that Queen Mary has very little employer desirability. I'll point out that employer desirability does not mean 'what the best of the best generally prefer' - it means 'is a degree from this university likely to get you a good job?'. Although, there is now a realisation that it is not appropriate to constantly employ the 'old boys' in the top positions.

Right. So when you said 'a QM degree won't hold you back', what you meant to say was, 'a QM degree won't hold you back, so long as you aren't too ambitious'?

Of course I'm not making the claim that a QM degree won't stand you in good stead for most jobs; I said that one would disadvantage you for some competitive jobs with many applicants from Oxbridge, UCL et al. I believe I actually used the words 'top set/firm'.
Reply 3935
Same, I'm buried under work. I've applied to pinsent mason's A level programme - which I don't know if you knew about; I would have told you if I'd have seen you - but ideally want to get something bar-y. Well, if all else fails, my dad knows a solicitor, so I'll beg him to get me into some chambers or just do something there :tongue:
And yeah, you told me about that :tongue: I'm still planning to emulate you and spam every chambers north of Birminghams' email inbox with my CV :tongue:

I wouldn't have applied anyway, not able to travel really just yet, but thanks for the thought :h: I know what you mean about bar-y work exp, I'm just unsure if anyone would be willing to give anything worthwhile to non-uni students.

Hey, it's not spam if you're offering people a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet you, the next big thing. ("You" meaning you and or I.)

Let me know how you get on with pinset mason's thing.
Right. So when you said 'a QM degree won't hold you back', what you meant to say was, 'a QM degree won't hold you back, so long as you aren't too ambitious'?

Of course I'm not making the claim that a QM degree won't stand you in good stead for most jobs; I said that one would disadvantage you for some competitive jobs with many applicants from Oxbridge, UCL et al. I believe I actually used the words 'top set/firm'.

Yes but at the same time I have never once stated that Queen Mary is considered as good as Oxbridge or UCL, I am merely stressing what some people on here refuse to acknowledge - it has a very good law department which won't cut you off from any jobs and won't disadvantage you comparatively!! Of course if you had the chance to go to UCL or Oxbridge over Queen Mary you would, but compared to universities such as Bristol or Warick then you may chose Queen Mary and you wouldn't be any more disadvantaged (something people refuse to admit on here).

And just FYI, not craving to be a Justice of the Supreme Court or working in a Magic Circle firm where your life is your job does not mean you lack ambition. Some people have vaginas and want little babies to slide out of them, amongst other things. LOL...
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't think anyone has much basis for saying it's not a good law school, unless they have studied at the law school, found it horrendous and come out with no job prospects.

And even if they did come out with no job prospects, it's not necessarily the fault of the univeristy. People fail Oxford degrees, and you can hardly say Oxford is a bad university!

the East End is equated with scummy people, so for a university to be there it must be horrific

This I think is one of QMUL's main problems. The other universities in London are in relatively nice areas (in comparison to the East End at least), and people do tend to associate a nice location with a good university. I think you may have hit the nail on the head here.
Original post by Cast.Iron
I had to content with some nutter who was claiming that QMUL is better than Durham :confused:.

For what? If he meant for law, I don't imagine it's far behind, if at all. Granted, Durham is better as a university in general.
Reply 3939
has anyone heard back from edinburgh yet?

Latest

Trending

Trending