The Student Room Group

Right! Student finance questions (prepare yourself)

The longest and most frustrating thing so far in my life lol
Ok i just need some advice and answers to these questions for student finance.

- On my log in it asks if i want to apply for special support grant, this is what it says in help.

If you are eligible to receive a Special Support Grant you will not be eligible to receive a Maintenance Grant.

This grant pays up to £2906.00, depending on your household income, and is intended to help with additional course related costs such as books, equipment, travel or childcare. The Special Support Grant entitlement is calculated using the same household income figures as the Maintenance Grant. However, unlike the maintenance grant, the amount you receive will not affect the amount of Maintenance Loan you may be entitled to receive.

You may be able to receive a Special Support Grant if you:

are a lone parent
have a partner who is also a student and one or both of you is responsible for a child (or a young person aged under 20 who is in full-time education below higher education level)
have a disability, and qualify for the disability premium or severe disability premium
are deaf and qualify for Disabled Students’ Allowances
have been treated as incapable of work for a continuous period of at least 28 weeks
are from abroad and are entitled to an Income Support Urgent Cases Payment because you are temporarily without funds for a period of up to six weeks
are waiting to go back to a course having taken agreed time out from that course due to an illness or caring responsibility that has now ended
are aged 60 or over

Is this question for me or my parent?

- Another question asking me where i will be. What does Term 1, 2, 3 mean? btw the optional answers for term 1,2,3 are (University/college, Study aboard, placement in the UK/aboard) In my course i'm studying at the university for year 1 and 2 and i have a one year placement in year 3 and then year 4 is my final year.

Where will you spend most of your time studying during each term in this academic year? Do not count periods of teaching practice as a placement, so if you are studying an ITT course, tick University or College.

Term 1

Term 2

Term 3

- Does this mean where will i be living for 2011 to 2012? I will be living in halls for my first year. The optional choices are ( with parents or away from parents)

Where will you be living during each term in this academic year?

Term 1

Term 2

Term 3

Btw does term mean year ?

So far thats it lol, i know some of them sound obvious but i want to be sure im putting in the right information.

Many thanks
Reply 1
The special support one is for you, I assume you don't have any kids so you're probably not eligible for it. Terms 1, 2 ,3 are what make up the academic year (so autumn term sep-dec, winter term dec-april, summer term april-june). So put 'away from parents' for all of them as you will be in halls.
Reply 2
Original post by ily_em
The special support one is for you, I assume you don't have any kids so you're probably not eligible for it.

Terms 1, 2 ,3 are what make up the academic year (so autumn term sep-dec, winter term dec-april, summer term april-june). So put 'away from parents' for all of them as you will be in halls.

Thanks, When my mother logs in to do her part it asks the same question, now she does tick some of those boxes for special support grant? does she say yes or no?

So Term 1 is Sep - December 2011
Term 2 is Dec 2011 - April 2012
term 3 is April - June 2012

But when it asks where will i be for term 1, 2, 3 it has the option as (studying aboard, placement in the uk/aboard and University/college?

If its for the first academic year i'm at University the whole as my placement isnt till my 3rd year
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Yas01
Thanks, When my mother logs in to do her part it asks the same question, now she does tick some of those boxes for special support grant? does she say yes or no?

So Term 1 is Sep - December 2011
Term 2 is Dec 2011 - April 2012
term 3 is April - June 2012

But when it asks where will i be for term 1, 2, 3 it has the option as (studying aboard, placement in the uk/aboard and University/college?

If its for the first academic year i'm at University the whole as my placement isnt till my 3rd year

yeh the terms will be something like that. You're only applying for this year (you will reapply next year etc) so yes, you're at uni the whole time. :smile: Worry about your placement when it comes to applying for SF in two years time :P

erm idk, does it really ask that same question? Is it worded differently (asking whether you, not your mum is a lone parent?) not really sure about that bit but you only get the special support grant if it's you that fill that criteria, nothing to do with your parents...
Reply 4
Original post by ily_em
yeh the terms will be something like that. You're only applying for this year (you will reapply next year etc) so yes, you're at uni the whole time. :smile: Worry about your placement when it comes to applying for SF in two years time :P

erm idk, does it really ask that same question? Is it worded differently (asking whether you, not your mum is a lone parent?) not really sure about that bit but you only get the special support grant if it's you that fill that criteria, nothing to do with your parents...

I'll have to contact the university about term dates. However i'm in halls my first year, therefore im away from parents.

Oh about the special support grant its the same exact question for my mum so i'm guessing if i don't need it she needs to put No. Then i apply for maintenance grant?

Thanks for your help, this is so long.
Reply 5
btw should you still fill out the student finance if you haven't got all of your offers yet?
Original post by thecat23
btw should you still fill out the student finance if you haven't got all of your offers yet?

You should start as soon as possible, just put in what you firm choice would be if you had all your offers (even if you don't have an offer from them yet).
Reply 7
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You should start as soon as possible, just put in what you firm choice would be if you had all your offers (even if you don't have an offer from them yet).

cheers. so if you dont get into your 'firm,' you can change it?
Original post by thecat23
cheers. so if you dont get into your 'firm,' you can change it?

Yep, you just send them a Change of Circumstance form (though I think you can do it online through your account now), and they'll sort it.
Original post by Yas01
I'll have to contact the university about term dates. However i'm in halls my first year, therefore im away from parents.

Oh about the special support grant its the same exact question for my mum so i'm guessing if i don't need it she needs to put No. Then i apply for maintenance grant?

Thanks for your help, this is so long.

You do not apply for a maintenance grant.
You apply for an income assessed loan.
You are them automatically assessed to see if you qualify for a grant based on your family income.
Reply 10
Original post by hypocriticaljap
You do not apply for a maintenance grant.
You apply for an income assessed loan.
You are them automatically assessed to see if you qualify for a grant based on your family income.

is an income assessed loan where you tick the box or whatever for the student finance people to take in to consideration your home income? or is this something you apply for separately? lol how am i even going to university, i don't understand simple questions!
and i'm freakin out a bit cos i ticked no for special support grant but i googled what the difference between a special support grant and a maintenance one is and it said none, except with special support your maintenance loan doesn't get affected? I'M SO CONFUSED. i want a maintenance grant, i bloody need it, was there a box i should've ticked for this?
You apply for SSG if you fit the criteria. If not, you apply for the maintenance loan and ask them to take into account your parents' income.

Term 1, 2, 3 refers to the terms (autumn, spring, summer) of the academic year. Tick whether you're at home, at uni, or abroad/on placement. You get more loan if you're abroad (good job too!) and slightly less if you live at home; I think you also get slightly more for living in London.

Just fill out the form in order, using the notes to guide you.
Reply 12
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Yep, you just send them a Change of Circumstance form (though I think you can do it online through your account now), and they'll sort it.

Thank you!!!!
Original post by ElfManiac
You apply for SSG if you fit the criteria. If not, you apply for the maintenance loan and ask them to take into account your parents' income.

Not quite - you apply for the ML even if you apply for the SSG too. That is, if you choose to (ML!). Otherwise yep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending