The Student Room Group

Medical Jobs which don't involve blood?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
The problem with radiology is that you need to do a medicine degree beforehand, which will require a lot of exposure to blood......

when i said i don't like anything to do with blood i meant seeing people with blood all over them i don't mind seeing blood on its own lol.... i think i need to be a bit more clear next time lol

p.s. how come it involves alot of blood?
No doctor of any type really. You can't get through the training process without having to deal with blood.

Depends whether you can get placements in FY1 and 2 that aren't very bloody
Reply 22
Original post by lechaton-x
Here's the TSR wiki for Pharmacy- take a look :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Pharmacy_Degree

Thanks
Original post by Becky
when i said i don't like anything to do with blood i meant seeing people with blood all over them i don't mind seeing blood on its own lol.... i think i need to be a bit more clear next time lol

We all meant Radiography/Digital imaging.
So X-Rays and whatnot- no blood.
Original post by Becky

Original post by Becky

Well you have to learn how to take blood etc, have placements in various areas of the hospital, and my course for example has a module on emergency care etc.

Original post by No Future
Depends whether you can get placements in FY1 and 2 that aren't very bloody

Apart from the fact you have to have a surgery rotation.....
Reply 25
Original post by Becky
I really want to get a job in a Hospital or hospital related. I am really intrested in Chemistry and am really good in maths i also love computer work etc.... I want a job in the Medical industry but i would like to do a job which doesn't involve BLOOD:colondollar: or sick patient basically not working with patients or blood...

IS there a job in the medical industry which doesn't involve these two factors? :confused:

Physiotherapy, psychologist, pharmacist.
The problem with radiology is that you need to do a medicine degree beforehand, which will require a lot of exposure to blood......

I think they meant radiographer
I would've said Biomedical Science because there is very little to no patient contact however its still not for the faint hearted to be honest.
Radiology or certain fields of research might not be a bad idea.
Reply 28
radiology is a branch of medicine, and requires a medical degree, hence lots of exposure to blood & ill people. and interventional readiologists can do various things which involve blood.
Well you have to learn how to take blood etc, have placements in various areas of the hospital, and my course for example has a module on emergency care etc.

Apart from the fact you have to have a surgery rotation.....

Surgery is not necessarily bloody and as a junior I'd imagine a lot of your time is spent on the wards and when you do go to theatre you just hold things for the reg/consultant and if you're lucky do some suturing
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
I work in a pharmacy and there are people who go in with cuts/wounds asking the pharmacist to "have a look" if they don't think it deserves a trip to A&E. Also people come in asking for their dressings to be changed, and parents bringing their children in if they've fell and cut their knees/heads/elbows outside. You may not see much blood as a pharmacist, but it's unrealistic to say you won't see any.
Original post by Subcutaneous
I think they meant radiographer

No, I meant radiologist
Sell prescription drugs illegally.

I believe what they actually mean is radiography, which simply requires a radiography degree :tongue: And it can actually involve blood, if they get involved in interventional work.

And I disagree with the point that MH nursing doesn't involve blood - some antipsychotic drugs need regular blood testing, and suicide/self harm involves blood, and lots of it.
Original post by Becca-Sarah

Original post by Becca-Sarah
I believe what they actually mean is radiography, which simply requires a radiography degree :tongue: And it can actually involve blood, if they get involved in interventional work.

You're about the 3rd or 4th person to tell me this :p: I now feel the need to edit my original post :wink:
You're about the 3rd or 4th person to tell me this :p: I now feel the need to edit my original post :wink:

I didn't spot the 2nd page of posts :tongue:
Reply 36
If you would be all right with taking bloods then many things would still be open to you.
Why not look into something like dermatology or general practitioner. Most medical professions involve taking blood as it is a key part in diagnosing many conditions but if you are fine with that, those two fields are pretty much blood free (apart from the tests) but still very 'medicaley'
I think it's really hard to avoid blood ON patients in healthcare. You could be on a rehab ward and still get a fall with blood everywhere and head injury, or iv access falling out, coughing it up, vomiting it up, pooing it out, weeing it out, or wounds dehissing. Some professions it may be rare, but it could still happen and be unavoidable!
Reply 38
Original post by Becky
I really want to get a job in a Hospital or hospital related. I am really intrested in Chemistry and am really good in maths i also love computer work etc.... I want a job in the Medical industry but i would like to do a job which doesn't involve BLOOD:colondollar: or sick patient basically not working with patients or blood...

IS there a job in the medical industry which doesn't involve these two factors? :confused:

Microbiologist?
Virologist?
Mycologist?

People always seem to forget about the microbiology department.... haha
Reply 39
Original post by Subcutaneous
I think it's really hard to avoid blood ON patients in healthcare. You could be on a rehab ward and still get a fall with blood everywhere and head injury, or iv access falling out, coughing it up, vomiting it up, pooing it out, weeing it out, or wounds dehissing. Some professions it may be rare, but it could still happen and be unavoidable!

Yeah i think its best if i forget healthcare for a bit and search elsewhere! ..... Thank you all for helping me! :smile::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending