The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JK.
Eboue is ****. He only turns up for the big games (I thought he was good at home to Barca) and treats smaller teams as if they'll be easy wins, as he only really plays against the smaller sides that's no good. Wrt jogging back/giving the ball away he may not be at the same level as Denilson for jogging back but his constant advances mean he is regularly caught out of position anyway. He has about 2 skills but uses them over and over again to try and trick defenders, he's quickly found out and so whilst he doesn't give the ball away all that often from misplaced passes, he's often caught in possession which leaves us susceptible to counter attacks. I used to praise his crossing, especially in comparison to Sagna's but even that seems to have gone to pieces a bit since the start of the season whereas Sagna has significantly improved his deliveries. Perhaps I'm being harsh as the player we have to compare him against in the squad is one of the best in his position in the league, but I really don't think Eboue is good enough as back up any more - like I say, if we could bring in a versatile DM that could cover fullbacks I'd be very keen to do so.

Agree.
Miquel can also play at RB can't he? (I seem to recall)
well it just seems united keep giving us chances upon chances to catch up but we just don't wanna take them...we really should have won today with all the possession we had but two stupid goals and no real creativity meant we only came away with a point...still the PL is within our sights but we won't win it with performances like this
Reply 7423
I just saw there 2nd goal.

Almunia.......words cant even describe him....
Original post by JK.
like I say, if we could bring in a versatile DM that could cover fullbacks I'd be very keen to do so.

Hargreaves should be available in the summer, he seems like the typical Arsenal player anyway.
Reply 7425
JK.
OP
Original post by Kevmeister
Hargreaves should be available in the summer, he seems like the typical Arsenal player anyway.

:rofl2:
Just seen the second West Brom goal, what on earth was Almunia doing? :lolwut:
Reply 7427
Original post by Mastermind`
Just seen the second West Brom goal, what on earth was Almunia doing? :lolwut:

you got a link?

Original post by HilariousNinja
Arsenal still have a decent chance, if you beat United, Spurs and Liverpool then it'll be very close. Although the team does continue to be disappointed by some players.

lettuce be reality, Arsenal lost to a United team which consisted of 7 defenders, this just isn't happening
Reply 7428
Original post by a_t
lettuce be reality, Arsenal lost to a United team which consisted of 7 defenders, this just isn't happening

At Emirates and having Fabregas, Song, Walcott, Djourou back in the starting line-up?
Almunia needs a bungee line tying him into his goal so that he can't come further out then his 6yd box, a la it's a knockout. He looked good against Barca because he was pinned on his line and is a generally solid shot stopper. However as soon as he has to engage his brain and make a judgement call he is absurd. What the hell was he playing at for the second goal.
Original post by a_t
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: oh lord

Yep, it is hilarious.

This is the clown Wenger decided to be our number 1 at the start of the season.

Poor management. (I don't want to hear anything else please, it was excusable 2 seasons ago, but not now).
Reply 7433
Original post by jit987
At Emirates and having Fabregas, Song, Walcott, Djourou back in the starting line-up?

tbh I just can't take the team as a serious threat anymore after the last 2 weeks, maybe that's me underestimating Arsenal and it may be a ridiculous opinion to hold but its honestly how I feel

Original post by T.Adams VI
Yep, it is hilarious.

This is the clown Wenger decided to be our number 1 at the start of the season.

Poor management. (I don't want to hear anything else please, it was excusable 2 seasons ago, but not now).

I remember there being a lot of clamour in January to sign a new keeper too, I was very surprised when you didn't and now you've had to resign Lehman, that's a move that's not exactly going to help team spirit at a time when it really needs lifting after recent disappointments. Now is a time when your team really need to get into that siege mentality, and go for broke for that last trophy, and I don't see how having a schismatic character such as Lehman is going to do you any benefit in that regard
Alumina shouldn't have come for it, but Squillaci was just as bad, ran back didn't block Odemwingie and just got in the way. He should have dealt with it, he could have headed it safely over to the other defender (not sure who) instead did nothing might as well of not been there. I don't think Jens will be much better, at the tail end of his career anyway, and was erratic enough. He'll be rusty too. The Jens that you have now isn't the same one you had before.
30 to 40mil on a quality CB and GK wouldve made a massive difference to your season, probably wouldve made up that money in the difference between prize money for winning 2 to 4 competitions and winning nothing like it looks the way things are going.
Reply 7437

Why cant he just come out and say something along the lines of "Almunia was at fault for our 2nd goal, no doubts about it. But he must improve and hopefully we will see that over the next few weeks"

I dislike all this we showed character, i am proud of our team etc, its always the same. I wish he showed some real emotion and perhaps this would be the kick up the arse that our players need!
Original post by Zerforax
30 to 40mil on a quality CB and GK wouldve made a massive difference to your season, probably wouldve made up that money in the difference between prize money for winning 2 to 4 competitions and winning nothing like it looks the way things are going.

We just had financial losses, so I doubt we had £30-40m to spend in the summer. £10m on Given would have done the job. There is no way Wenger could have predicted Shezny would step up. We don't need a GK now anyway, Shezny is quality.
Reply 7439
Original post by T.Adams VI
We just had financial losses, so I doubt we had £30-40m to spend in the summer. £10m on Given would have done the job. There is no way Wenger could have predicted Shezny would step up. We don't need a GK now anyway, Shezny is quality.

As has been mentioned many times before:

1) City wouldn't sell Given to us; why would they? That would be madness.
2) Given probably wouldn't solve our problems: like Almunia, he's primarily a shot-stopper. Szczesny has been so effective in part because he's such an effective organizer.

And I do think Wenger predicted Szczesny would eventually step up in the way he did: he's been saying Szczesny will be first choice sooner or later for about five years now, and I suspect his targetting of Schwarzer was mainly because he (Schwarzer) would retire in a season or two anyway, letting Szczesny take the helm.

Latest