The Student Room Group

What is the most politically correct thing you've ever heard of? (PC gone mad!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
Ok, deny such occurences all you want, but it's silly to keep replacing traditional words with euphemisms and neutral phrases just to avoid offending people. It does go over the top. It's cultural marxism and the imposition of newspeak over an entire culture.

What do you think is the objective of sociology, cultural treason? Perhaps you should learn the meaning of freedom of thought. OP can research whatever the **** they want. And this is a highly valid research topic. Political correctness seems to have gone too far - you're making a massive generalisation of the people who complain about political correctness, and isn't that bad practice for a social scientist?

Can't rep, but totally this.
Reply 41
Original post by ukr-nffc
As much as i realise much of the urban myths regarding this are untrue (the flag during the world cup etc) but my mum used to work for the LA - and they were told to stop using the words 'brain storm' and advised to use 'thought shower' or 'idea party'!!!

lol why?
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
Blackboards in school being renamed "Chalkboards" to avoid offending black people. Although "Whiteboard", remains untouched.

Manhole covers being renamed "Personnel Access Units" to avoid offending women.

A job application being rejected because the person described themself as "reliable" and "hard-working", the job centre said it could be offensive to unreliable people.

You made the last two up
Reply 43
Original post by Mujeriego
Snow White and the Seven Persons of Restricted Growth.

no its snow rainbow and the seven persons of restricted growth :wink:
Reply 44
My mum works in a nursery, when they order Jigsaw puzzles the pictures are rather interesting. The latest one was of a cartoon family, the mother was black, the father was white, one child was in a wheelchair. Another puzzle was of an Asian family, a single mum and two children.
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
Ok, deny such occurences all you want, but it's silly to keep replacing traditional words with euphemisms and neutral phrases just to avoid offending people. It does go over the top. It's cultural marxism and the imposition of newspeak over an entire culture.

What do you think is the objective of sociology, cultural treason? Perhaps you should learn the meaning of freedom of thought. OP can research whatever the **** they want. And this is a highly valid research topic. Political correctness seems to have gone too far - you're making a massive generalisation of the people who complain about political correctness, and isn't that bad practice for a social scientist?

Oh dear, you seem to have totally missed the point. I was shocked at how one sided and leading the survey methodology was (even giving examples, that's not biased at all right?)

She can research what she wants, but she's gone about it in such a shoddy way that you can see what results she wants to get out of the public, and posted it in such a way to attract a certain demographic. Its poor research.
Reply 46
Original post by Broderss
lol why?

The reason given was that when someone with epilepsy has a fit - the feeling has been described as having a storm in their head therefore 'brain-storm' is offensive apparently ...
Original post by Cool story bro
You made the last two up

In 1990, the city of Sacramento, California officially renamed all their manholes to "maintenance holes" out of concern for the equality of both genders.[2] The name "maintenance hole" was selected because the term shares the same initials as the word "manhole", thereby eliminating the need to change the MH labels on the city's utility maps. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhole#Feminist_issue_with_manhole_name

OK - slight variation on mine, but still....

Job interview majingo;

http://www.walletpop.co.uk/2010/01/27/another-example-of-political-correctness-gone-mad-in-job-adver/

Happy? :wink:
Reply 48
At work I am NOT allowed to hang my jacket on the back of my chair, I have to hang it on a coatstand at the end of my bank of desks. This is because it may be a tripping hazard in case of a fire. We actually get "spoken too" if you have your coat on the back of the chair, and have a discussion around why the actions I were taking could endanger mine and others safety. Its a ****ing joke.
Reply 49
Idea party :awesome:

Yeah, all that hype about how it was going to be illegal to wear an England shirt in London during the World Cup, so consequently all the geniuses went out a bought a nice England shirt to wear to "prove their point".....:facepalm2:

I can't believe it got to the point where the government on 'direct.gov' had to announce that flags were legal!
Reply 50
Just any time when white people make complaints and rant and rave that something is racist to an entirely different nationality/race/ethnicity (and usually the blacks/asians/whoever it is aimed at are all "wait, what?").

Like that Jamaican mouse kids show, white people saying it's racist simply because it's rastafarian, and that 'cheese' is meant to mean 'ganja'.

Saying cheese to a mouse means ganja because it's rasta is DISGUSTINGLY discriminatory

PC extremists are the scum of the earth. They are so offensive and egotistical on their pedestals.

Another example could be when women and uncircumcised men tell others that us circumcised guys have been tortured, that it's barbaric, that we get no feeling in our dicks/our sex must feel terrible, that we wish we could be uncircumcised.

It is so surreal... why not just kidnap us, take us to your land of the free and get us to pick cotton while you're at it, so we can live a better life too?
(edited 13 years ago)
Spider diagrams being renamed to mind maps because 'they might offend people with a phobia of spiders'. :indiff:

Brainstorms being renamed also to mind maps because 'they might offend people with epilepsy'. :indiff: :indiff:

Oh and 'ethnic minority' being changed around to 'minority ethnic'. Why!?!?!? If anything, minority ethnic actually sounds more like an insult - "Oi, you ethnic!"
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52
The renaming of Black Sheep to Rainbow Sheep; "Ba Ba rainbow sheep!"

I wasn't even aware of racism when I was three! :facepalm:

There's a poster of it up in my Mum's Office; she's a Youth Worker, and she has to have it displayed, even though she finds it as ridiculous as everyone there. Even the 12 black children who she works with find it more offensive then what it was.

I'm completely anti-racist, but PC has gone a bit too far in some cases.
Reply 53
Free speech > political correctness
Original post by amsie/
Some parts are OTT, like blackboard, where on earth did that come from?
& having to take this sign out wherever there's any spillages:

Even if it's the size of a pea ffs :facepalm:

That's H&S not PC.

:facepalm:
Original post by I<3LAMP
That's H&S not PC.

:facepalm:

OP did mention H&S to be fair.

I remember doing a cleaning job when I was young where the bloke told me I had to wear safety goggles when using bleach. I lol'd. He didn't. Bad times.
Blackboards in school being renamed "Chalkboards" to avoid offending black people. Although "Whiteboard", remains untouched.

Manhole covers being renamed "Personnel Access Units" to avoid offending women.

A job application being rejected because the person described themself as "reliable" and "hard-working", the job centre said it could be offensive to unreliable people.

All of these turned out to be false or exaggerations.
OP did mention H&S to be fair.

I remember doing a cleaning job when I was young where the bloke told me I had to wear safety goggles when using bleach. I lol'd. He didn't. Bad times.

Alright I'll let em off then... and yeah when you're younger all this extra protection just sounds like nonsense.

I get people shout at me if the slip sign isn't visible when it's raining It's obvious that the floor is wet, it's raining! ..Even more annoying is when they trip over the damn sign and then they moan about that too!:mad:
Original post by chloeee!
I watched a video on radical feminists who insisted on saying 'herstory' instead of 'history'. Don't know if that really counts as a PC story but it's hilarious anyway.

This is true but is hardly associated with radical feminism, even the most mild feminist would surley agree that history is written from the perspective of men?
Original post by Great Lord Xenu
Why do so many people confuse political correctness and health and safety? :facepalm:

And no, political correctness hasn't gone mad. It's far better than racism and prejudice.

I would probably prefer a bit of harmless (yes, harmless) casual racism and prejudice, homophobia and sexism to a society which has lost it's sense of humour.

Quick Reply

Latest