The Student Room Group

What is the most politically correct thing you've ever heard of? (PC gone mad!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LurkerintheDark
I would probably prefer a bit of harmless (yes, harmless) casual racism and prejudice, homophobia and sexism to a society which has lost it's sense of humour.

But political correctness is preferable to all the harmful racial prejudice that came before it, is it not?
Original post by Funpeddler
This is true but is hardly associated with radical feminism, even the most mild feminist would surley agree that history is written from the perspective of men?

Because men where all the biggest movers and shakers in history? Is it any wonder that most history books focus on Hitler, Alexander the Great, Christopher Columbus, George Washington etc, rather than their spouses?
Original post by Great Lord Xenu
But political correctness is preferable to all the harmful racial prejudice that came before it, is it not?

Probably. It's still an absolute load of horse-**** though.
Reply 63
Don't think you can say mixed race anymore, they are "people of a mixed ethnic background"
Reply 64
Original post by I<3LAMP
That's H&amp;S not PC.

:facepalm:

I wasn't saying it was PC, I was saying it was H&S :facepalm:
You might want to reread the OP.
Beauty and the Beast - Lookism survivor and Fellow mammal
Original post by amsie/
I wasn't saying it was PC, I was saying it was H&S :facepalm:
You might want to reread the OP.

I fail to read....
:frown:
Reply 67
Original post by I<3LAMP
I fail to read....
:frown:

Everyone's quoted me for that when I did nothing wrong :ashamed2: :cry:
No big deal, I'll get over it :getmecoat:
Do you want a list? No? Well you're getting one.

I have no political alignment, I'm neither right wing nor left wing, I'm dead centre, common sense, and the following is just common idiocy:

- Blackboard - chalkboard
- Winterval
- Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep
- Racial quotas in employment
- An incident where a council worker was suspended for saying "jungle drums" (just another way of saying grape vine)
- The Police unable to speak out on Asian sex gangs for fear of appearing 'institutionally racist'

Oh and before you accuse me of being a Daily Mail reader, I don't touch that comic, I have a positive IQ.

Political correctness is just thought police, people need to think about everything now incase it offends someone :mad:

Original post by screenager2004
Its all a myth. The only people who get upset are racists and bigots. Its good that we are taking steps against exclusive language and the uk is a much nicer place to live now that its unacceptable to call people pakis and ******* in the street or make jokes about the disabled.
(Interesting tsr censors the n word but not "paki"!)

Only racists and bigots are upset? That is typical of the far left to slander someone as a racist if they disagree with their politically correct agenda, it's to silence criticism, and by calling someone a racist who actually isn't you are merely discrediting the word.
Reply 69
I've never had to be overly PC, I just don't use offensive words. My instructor did tell me a situation he'd had the other day when a student had a complete lack of PC.

He's teaching a 30 year old Pakistani man to drive who moved here a few months ago. They were driving along and saw a group of black men and this man said something along the lines of "Look these N*ggers." My instructor was like :eek:

He said he couldn't say that about them as it was really offensive and this guy was really confused and said in Pakistan its what they're called and no one finds it offensive. He asked what to call them instead and my instructor said calling them black was a better term. So he says "Ok, look at them black N*ggers."

When my instructor tried to explain again he said it'd be like calling the guy a Paki he just shrugged and said "But I am a Paki." Apparently in his home country no one finds all these terms offensive.

My instructor basically had to turn around and say "Yeah, but you live in London, if you go out and call people N*ggers you won't last ten minutes." I think the message finally sunk in around that point. :rolleyes:
The worst part about political correctness is WHITE British people trying to speak on behalf of ethnic minorities. There was an incident on GMTV (might been This Morning) a few years ago where a left wing idiot woman tried to speak on behalf of a Muslim guest, who promptly turned round and told her she was talking rubbish.
Original post by amsie/
Everyone's quoted me for that when I did nothing wrong :ashamed2: :cry:
No big deal, I'll get over it :getmecoat:

I think it's because I read the title and just scrolled down blindly. If I read the OP then I'd probably have been less anal.

Nevermind. I guess there are a load of skimmers here. :wink:
Original post by A Mysterious Lord

Only racists and bigots are upset? That is typical of the far left to slander someone as a racist if they disagree with their politically correct agenda, it's to silence criticism, and by calling someone a racist who actually isn't you are merely discrediting the word.

We all hold subtle racist or bigoted opinions, everyone. Myself included. No one is absolutely tolerant of everything. It's part of the human condition. It's a little flaw inherent in everyone.

I say disagreeing with "political correctness" (Inclusive language) betrays a little bigotry in us all. I am not excluded from this. It doesn't mean that you're not a perfectly nice and normal person. Just that we all have ingrained in us certain tendencies from our upbringing and environment.

There is no logical reason to disagree with inclusive language.
Original post by screenager2004
We all hold subtle racist or bigoted opinions, everyone. Myself included. No one is absolutely tolerant of everything. It's part of the human condition. It's a little flaw inherent in everyone.

I say disagreeing with "political correctness" (Inclusive language) betrays a little bigotry in us all. I am not excluded from this. It doesn't mean that you're not a perfectly nice and normal person. Just that we all have ingrained in us certain tendencies from our upbringing and environment.

There is no logical reason to disagree with inclusive language.

That I agree with :smile:

The problem is that like multiculturalism (shock, horror, racist, BNP, fascist :eek:), political correctness was implemented with good intention, ideally it would have only been a good thing, but it's just gone too far now.
I once saw a ploughman's lunch in a pub being advertised as a 'ploughperson's lunch'. Who cares. PC is ultimately a good thing.
Can people please not bring up the "winterval" myth. It has become a hackneyed stick to beat "political correctness" with.

Winterval was infact a collection of christmas festivities thrown by Birmingham Council to celebrate Christmas and the regeneration of Birmingham city centre.

This blogger has written an essay on the medias role in the "winterval" myth. you can read it here:

http://www.thedisinformed.co.uk/2010/12/12/the-winterval-myth/
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
That I agree with :smile:

The problem is that like multiculturalism (shock, horror, racist, BNP, fascist :eek:), political correctness was implemented with good intention, ideally it would have only been a good thing, but it's just gone too far now.

How do you feel it has 'gone too far'?
Not saying Ba Ba blacksheep as it may offend black people...

Also avoiding saying 'Blackout' or 'whiteout' or 'black attack' or 'whitewash'
Reply 78
Original post by bognor-regis
I got suspended from school for saying that I was late because I had to go to the paki shop for phone credit. lol, 2 years ago.

Surely that doesn't surprise you?! If you think that's acceptable to say at school you've got something going wrong.
Original post by ProFail
Surely that doesn't surprise you?! If you think that's acceptable to say at school you've got something going wrong.

It really does surprise me. Why don't you explain to me why it's so offensive?

Every newsagents/cornershop in my town is owned and run by pakistanis.

So 'paki shop' is just descriptive. It's no different to calling it a cornershop. Or going to get a 'chinaman' (chinese take away).

Quick Reply

Latest