The Student Room Group

''England'' is dead and being british is dying.

Being British is about driving a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then traveling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

This statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Looks like colonisation backfires a few decades after most countries become independent.

The smartest people in England are foreigners(just look at Oxbridge's recent Ph.D grads).
The richest people in England are foreigners.
The most beautiful people in England are foreigners.

Foreigners hold the top private sector jobs.
Foreigners are buying up your country one corporation at a time:
Wether it is Harrods or Manchester City,Bentley or Cadbury.

What happened?

Clearly all those years of free for all jobs aren't working for the british population.

I'm not being racist or anything but the day white british citizens will be a minority in THEIR own country will be a sad day.

(I live in a country like that altough the circumstances are different).

Who failed?

the politicians?

the people?

colonial ancestors?

Oh and don't get me wrong, the same is happening in countries such as France,Germany,Spain,Italy and the United States altough none is as rapid and sudden as in England.

What a shame.

Multiculturalism isn't working as intended unfortunately.

The british people are the ones being assimilated into the African,South east asian and east european cultures that are springing up in all areas of Britain.

Here is a question to all the white british people with a british ancestry.

What does being british mean to you in 2011?

Please refrain from trolling/coming up with witty answers in hope that those reading them will be impressed.

I'm geniunely interested in hearing both sides of the spectrum.

Scroll to see replies

brb being foreign in England. Does being south african count?

I want to be British. Being british to me mean passing a test and getting a passport.
Why does it matter? These people are british too.
You do sound kind of racist, or at least a little xenophobic, despite your assertions that you're not.
(edited 13 years ago)
The Queen is British :biggrin:

wait what's that? She's German? :eek:
Reply 4
Original post by Fumblenuts91
Why does it matter?

These people are british too. You do sound pretty racist, despite your assertions that you're not.

I didn't explain myself.
I'm not talking about the nationality.
I mean the culture,heritage,ancestry etc.
Khalid Von Bronchrost Devon might hold a british passport but that doesn't make him a brit in my books.
Reply 5
Original post by viksta1000

You know that's not what I'm talking about.
Idiot number 1.
Original post by Theconomist
You know that's not what I'm talking about.
Idiot number 1.

ok so what checklist do we have to pass in order to be 'British'

I was born here, raised here, schooled here, speak english....but of Indian Origin, so am I not British?
As long as we do the banking then,:beer:
Yeah OP is right, I am not British btw. You can't expect to rob half the world, and get away with it so easily. At least, the foreigners aren't robbing you and killing you because you are viewed as inferior. (what the British done to half the world)

I was born here, raised here, schooled here, speak english....but of Indian Origin, so am I not British?

I am not British, and I can confirm you aren't either. Do not beg to be something you aren't
Original post by Theconomist
I'm not being racist or anything but

Textbook idiocy right there.

I don't give a **** about being 'British'. I couldn't give a **** if the 'most intelligent' people in Britain aren't white.
Maybe people are beginning to realise no matter how many labels you put on someone, we are all just human and alike, and that is all that really matters.
I like how TSR is full of Brit bashers. Yes all British people are arrogant, ugly, stupid alcoholics. Can we get over ourselves now non-Brits?
Reply 13
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
I am not British, and I can confirm you aren't either. Do not beg to be something you aren't

of course he is british you ****.
if your parents are born in this country, and as are you. that means you too are british.
biggot :rolleyes:

I count you as British, if that's what you see yourself as. I don't really buy this formulaic approach to nationality. I wasn't born here but if I'm not British I don't know what I am. What does it matter if my ancestry wasn't British?
Surely that's a good thing that foreigners can come to Britain and succeed? We should be encouraging those born here to do the same.
Original post by xXxiKillxXx

so what am I? If I go back to India they'll take the pi55, considering I can barely speak the language :confused:

British is just a nationality, anyone can become 'British'...all you need is a purple passport :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Move out of London. You'll soon find that the country is still full of bastions of Britishness. London has become a world city, while it's the capital of Britain I find it's everyday culture and the people who live there to be substantially different from elsewhere in the country. Mainly because of the insane amounts of immigration it's suffered from in recent times.
Reply 18

How is she German?
Why do people come on British forums to complain about British people? Are they just nasty and want to say things they can't (whether through choice or not) can't say to certain people's faces?

Just because we live in one country, doesn't mean we should only use things that were manufactured and originated from that country in our daily lives. It's called gloabalisation, I believe it's a good thing.

OP: are you using a computer that was made in your country? and clothes that were made there? "being British" is about identity and mindset, not material possessions.

Latest

Trending

Trending