The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Nottingham?

Hey, I have been lucky enough to get 2 offers, both AAA, and now I am so confused as to where to go!! I was just wondering if anybody could possibly give me the pros/cons of both and which you think is the better one.
I have done lots of research and know Notts has full body dissection, 2nd degree, and that Birmingham has a potentially nicer catchment area of hospitals and train station on campus etc. But both seem so similar, beautiful campuses in big cities!
Would be so grateful of any help or advice!!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
nottingham! i'm not biased though...
but seriously, i'm super excited to go to nottingham because it has soooo many good points :smile:
Reply 2
Hey Steph,

Go where your heart tells you. Think of the transport links from where you live and where you want to get to. Reading other forums on here most sway towards B'ham. 2nd biggest city, good nighlife, great campus and station at the uni. Both are great medical schools and prosection as good as disection. - Follow your heart and listen to your mum!
Reply 3
BIRMINGHAM!!! Not biased at all or anything! :colondollar:

On a serious note- it's up to you! As monkey013 said, follow your heart! Where did you feel best? Which places offer the course structure you're most likely to enjoy and thrive on? You could think of aspects such as the range of BSc available if that is something you hold an interest in, as well as hospitals-for example Birmingham is part of the West Midlands deanery which is huge! Probably won't mean that much at first, but it might play a more significant role as you start to undertake hospital placements.

I'm an applicant such as yourself, so I'm sure there are people out there who can you give better advice, but I hope this helps anyway :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Andrii
BIRMINGHAM!!! Not biased at all or anything! :colondollar:

On a serious note- it's up to you! As monkey013 said, follow your heart! Where did you feel best? Which places offer the course structure you're most likely to enjoy and thrive on? You could think of aspects such as the range of BSc available if that is something you hold an interest in, as well as hospitals-for example Birmingham is part of the West Midlands deanery which is huge! Probably won't mean that much at first, but it might play a more significant role as you start to undertake hospital placements.

I'm an applicant such as yourself, so I'm sure there are people out there who can you give better advice, but I hope this helps anyway :smile:

Does Bham have interscalated degree?

And is it true that bham's anotomy teaching is prettu weak?
Doesn't Bham have ~400 per year? That's a lot.
Reply 6
Original post by bhamsh
Does Bham have interscalated degree?

And is it true that bham's anotomy teaching is prettu weak?

Bham offers quite a nice range of intercalated degrees: from a BMedSc in Clinical Sciences, to biological sciences (neuroscience, genetics, cellular pathology, etc. etc- you choose two modules from the range available) and even population sciences + humanities (for example international health, public health, psychological medicine, medical ethics + law...).

Never really heard of Bham having weak anatomy teaching- they don't do dissections which some may find to be a disadvantage. Then again there's plenty to be argued in favour of pro-sections.
Reply 7
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Doesn't Bham have ~400 per year? That's a lot.

Original post by Andrii
Bham offers quite a nice range of intercalated degrees: from a BMedSc in Clinical Sciences, to biological sciences (neuroscience, genetics, cellular pathology, etc. etc- you choose two modules from the range available) and even population sciences + humanities (for example international health, public health, psychological medicine, medical ethics + law...).

Never really heard of Bham having weak anatomy teaching- they don't do dissections which some may find to be a disadvantage. Then again there's plenty to be argued in favour of pro-sections.

so is bhams 400 lot a disadvantage.
Will it be too crowded?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending