The Student Room Group

The 2012 Phenomenon - Another Religious Hope For The Common Man.

I am sure that we are all well aware of the 2012 "hype" as it were?

Well, I may not have physical proof, but I do have my subjective mental states as "proof" that the 2012 nonsense is nonsense!

Before, (some a couple of years back), I used to be a "common man", roaming about the Earth trying to find "God", hoping some amazing cosmological event would occur and that all normality would forever be destroyed.

In these periods, I stumbled upon some online literature (if it can be called such!) talking of "spiritual accession" and "2012" and "DNA activation" and all of that nonsense. This nonsense made me hope that great and amazing things would happen in 2012 etc etc - it is also important to note that I was watching films like "The Knowing" and other "screen candy".

Alongside this, and a little before these very periods, I was also attending a Pentecostal Church (not of my own volition - parents) and thus was thrown into superstition and religious instinct etc.

In short, my theory (and I believe that it is the most accurate to explain the great publicity surrounding it) is that this 2012 phenomenon is similar to "The Second Coming" and other prophesied religious phenomena and events - it is something for the common man to hope for, for those who dislike normality, for those who wanted something more, something metaphysical, something full of action, surprise and unpredictability!

I am no longer a "common man" and sadly (but thankfully), this 2012 nonsense is untrue and merely another prophecy to be failed, destroyed and laughed at (luckily, the Jesus one can be forever!).

After 2012, we will probably see another nonsensical prophecy or something - these things happen - mankind needs something to hope for, to kick itself out of its daily rut - too bad that many of its hopes are unfounded.

In short, do not be taken in with this nonsense - it is merely an extension of religious belief and hope - without any more truth than the return of Jesus. Step away - even more, fly away and be free, free from the nonsense that the common man desires to latch onto and grasp as dear and "true".

What do we have to discuss, then? :top2:
Reply 1
You didn't need to write all that, nor claim you yourself have found proof.

All you need to write is:

"Ask a Mayan."

Because every single Mayan will refute the Western news media's and internet soapbox guys' bull **** theory about 2012, whilst being just a tad insulted that WE are telling THEM what THEY believe/know.
Reply 2
We'll just have to wait till 2012. But there is a slight anomaly. Isn't our civil calendar out by a couple of hundred years?
Original post by nonotrly

You didn't need to write all that, nor claim you yourself have found proof.

All you need to write is:

"Ask a Mayan."

Because every single Mayan will refute the Western news media's and internet soapbox guys' bull **** theory about 2012, whilst being just a tad insulted that WE are telling THEM what THEY believe/know.

Yes, I know the "West" has sorely misinterpreted.

I was merely providing a strong theory behind the great publicity of "2012" - it is like a brand now; by Jove they even made a film of "it"!! :ahee:
Reply 4
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£

I was merely providing a strong theory behind the great publicity of "2012" - it is like a brand now; by Jove they even made a film of "it"!! :ahee:

I wouldn't know; no-one's going to read that long a post, especially if it's about 2012.

I wouldn't know; no-one's going to read that long a post, especially if it's about 2012.

Ah, the youth of today... :innocent:
Reply 6
Ah, the youth of today... :innocent:

Hey, smart guy, the youth of today care about bull **** on the internet, in fact they care about the internet itself, thus they WOULD read it.

Insert patronising comment and roll-eyes smiley here.

Hey, smart guy, the youth of today care about bull **** on the internet, in fact they care about the internet itself, thus they WOULD read it.

Insert patronising comment and roll-eyes smiley here.

Er... sorry? What are you saying? :erm:

You just made a sentence entailing a contradiction... :teehee: :innocent:
Reply 8
did you roam the earth? where did you roam?

It could al be OK after all.
I'll still go to the pub as normal.
Original post by SteveCrain

Original post by SteveCrain
did you roam the earth? where did you roam?

Sir, it was a figure of speech - but you did make me smirk! +1 :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending