The Student Room Group

Hoping to do Medicine

I am currently in year 11 and have to decide on a sixth form to go to. I want to do medicine after A Levels.

I have received offers from my current school (a comprehensive) and a grammar school to study Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History.

The grammar school also makes you take general studies as a full A Level and runs some enrichment scheme. The comprehensive is a lot more relaxed, the head of sixth form wouldn't mind if I changed my courses in the first few weeks as long as they are suitable.

I am just wondering whether going to the grammar school will help or hinder me when I apply for uni. Also, are my A Level choices appropriate? I could change them if I go to the comprehensive.

My GCSE's are as follows:

English Lang. A (already taken)
- the rest are expected grades -
English Lit. A
Maths A*
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
ICT A*
History A/A*
Geography A/A*
Food Technology anywhere from a C to A* (my school is a technology college, some tech GCSE is compulsory)

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by george..

Original post by george..
I am currently in year 11 and have to decide on a sixth form to go to. I want to do medicine after A Levels.

I have received offers from my current school (a comprehensive) and a grammar school to study Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History.

The grammar school also makes you take general studies as a full A Level and runs some enrichment scheme. The comprehensive is a lot more relaxed, the head of sixth form wouldn't mind if I changed my courses in the first few weeks as long as they are suitable.

I am just wondering whether going to the grammar school will help or hinder me when I apply for uni. Also, are my A Level choices appropriate? I could change them if I go to the comprehensive.

My GCSE's are as follows:

English Lang. A (already taken)
- the rest are expected grades -
English Lit. A
Maths A*
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
ICT A*
History A/A*
Geography A/A*
Food Technology anywhere from a C to A* (my school is a technology college, some tech GCSE is compulsory)

Thanks.

Medical applications aren't about your school or anyone else, but about you making it as good as you can. A grammar school may provide better opportunities for extra curricular activities for example, but I'm sure you could just as easily arrange such things for yourself if you went to a comprehensive.

Your A level choices are perfect, and if you get those GCSE grades you will be well on your way to creating a very strong application. I'm sure you already know things like work experience are just as important as grades to some universities.

Ultimately, I think you should choose to go wherever you think you'd enjoy spending the next two years at the most. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
dude you've started the same thread in the A-level section! Stop asking the same question everywhere you go!
Reply 3
It will really depend on which enviroment you can achieve your very best in, go for the grammar school if you think that, despite doing the extra subject, you can get the grades! Weigh up the benefits of the two different options, for instance, are class sizes smaller at the grammar school? Maybe look at there previous A level results if they are published online..

..getting the grades is vital with entry requirements rising to at least AAA for pretty much every med school. All the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending