The Student Room Group

I think I could be Oxbridge potential- but worry about self-motivation and passion

I've always been good at English and judging from various conversations I've had with alumni, a mock interview video at Cambridge and general comments from people, I do have a niggling feeling that I could stand a chance at gaining a place.

However, the main problem with me is laziness- I lack self-motivation and get very easily distracted when working. I also doubt my passion for English- which you seem to need a lot of if you are to be considered. I do read, but quite slowly, and I doubt I've read as widely as many typical candidates have.

I'm doing fairly well in English Lit AS at the moment, but I do find it a struggle to hit the 'Assessment Objectives' which so many of our assignments and essays today are based around. I prefer exploring the text rather than ticking boxes I guess.

I was wondering if anyone else is feeling this way, or is unsure whether they are Oxbridge material. Part of me just thinks 'what the hell, you might as well just go for it, you only have one chance.' But is this realistic considering all of the above?

Apologies for the tedious length of this :redface:

Scroll to see replies

I can't advise much about English. What I'd like to say is that quite a few lazy people - myself included - end up at Oxford and manage to adapt to the environment and workload without too much trouble :smile:
I think I am the same with history.
Reply 3
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I can't advise much about English. What I'd like to say is that quite a few lazy people - myself included - end up at Oxford and manage to adapt to the environment and workload without too much trouble :smile:

Oh really? Thats very reassuring I have to say! Were you doubtful about applying, or were you fairly confident that Oxford was for you?
Original post by NeonIndian
Oh really? Thats very reassuring I have to say! Were you doubtful about applying, or were you fairly confident that Oxford was for you?

I wasn't initially that interested but when I went there on the open days and again for the Sutton Trust, I realised it was a place I could be very happy and comfortable in :smile:

I hoped to get in but was quite stunned to receive the offer from the college I'd applied to. I left the interview period thinking I'd blown it :o:
Reply 5
I think you should apply anyway. I enjoy Classics a lot and I'm interested in the subject- but is it my passion in life? I'm not so sure. As for motivation, well I'm sure you'll need plenty to keep up with the workload but as The_Lonely_Goatherd said, people probably adapt out of necessity.
Reply 6
I wasn't initially that interested but when I went there on the open days and again for the Sutton Trust, I realised it was a place I could be very happy and comfortable in :smile:

I hoped to get in but was quite stunned to receive the offer from the college I'd applied to. I left the interview period thinking I'd blown it :o:

I've just accidently negged you. I'll give you some pos rep tomorrow.
Sorry about that...
Original post by Ollie901
Sorry about that...

Lol, no worries! Thanks for letting me know! I saw that before I clicked on the thread again and wondered what I'd said wrong :biggrin:

May I ask how you found life at Oxford university?
Original post by riotgrrl
I think you should apply anyway. I enjoy Classics a lot and I'm interested in the subject- but is it my passion in life? I'm not so sure. As for motivation, well I'm sure you'll need plenty to keep up with the workload but as The_Lonely_Goatherd said, people probably adapt out of necessity.

The best thing I did at Oxford by far was stage managing some medieval mystery plays. That was my greatest achievement :smile: That doesn't mean I wasn't passionate about music at all: just that my passions in life aren't limited to music! :smile:
Reply 10
Just remember
If you never tried - You'll never live happily and live with regrets
If you try - You may achieve your dream and be super happy but if not, Atleast you can live the rest of life knowing you tried and that inself is self motivation and passion.
Original post by Alex-jc123
May I ask how you found life at Oxford university?

I was very ill and this shapes how I see the whole experience. If you put the illnesses to one side, there are lots of happy memories and great experiences. It was beyond what I expected and despite lots of difficult times and pain, I don't regret going there for a second. I fitted in very well and made lots of friends for life amongst people my age and tutors too :smile:

Illness did taint the whole experience though and so I'm not always the best person to ask :smile:
Give it a go :biggrin: The worst they can do is say no, but its not the end of the world if they do!
Reply 13
Original post by - Major -
Just remember
If you never tried - You'll never live happily and live with regrets
If you try - You may achieve your dream and be super happy but if not, Atleast you can live the rest of life knowing you tried and that inself is self motivation and passion.

Thanks- encouraging words
Original post by Ollie901
Sorry about that...

what were your UMS scores in AS? Thanks :smile:
I was very ill and this shapes how I see the whole experience. If you put the illnesses to one side, there are lots of happy memories and great experiences. It was beyond what I expected and despite lots of difficult times and pain, I don't regret going there for a second. I fitted in very well and made lots of friends for life amongst people my age and tutors too :smile:

Illness did taint the whole experience though and so I'm not always the best person to ask :smile:

Oh, I am sorry to hear of your misfortune! I can imagine the tutors and students being far less pompous and bourgeois than the typical stereotype depicts them though.
Original post by Alex-jc123
Oh, I am sorry to hear of your misfortune! I can imagine the tutors and students being far less pompous and bourgeois than the typical stereotype depicts them though.

They certainly were! I found all the pomp and circumstance that people expect from Oxbridge at my insurance uni instead, so I was very glad when Oxford took me in anyway :biggrin:
They certainly were! I found all the pomp and circumstance that people expect from Oxbridge at my insurance uni instead, so I was very glad when Oxford took me in anyway :biggrin:

What was your insurance uni? I am actually applying to Cambridge instead haha. I find Oxford more pretty and prestigious, but Cambridge is closer to London and has the best history department in the world :wink:
A university degree - and even more so Oxbridge - is about more than "box ticking", so you would be likely to find an Oxford or Cambridge degree much more to your taste than A-level :smile:
Motivation wise, nothing matches an angry tutor ... :lol: You kind of get into a rhythm of reading and writing essays, and the weekly feedback on written work is really helpful.
Reply 19
Original post by Festina lente
A university degree - and even more so Oxbridge - is about more than "box ticking", so you would be likely to find an Oxford or Cambridge degree much more to your taste than A-level :smile:
Motivation wise, nothing matches an angry tutor ... :lol: You kind of get into a rhythm of reading and writing essays, and the weekly feedback on written work is really helpful.

Yeah, thats a v. good point. I do quite literally hate assesment objectives! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending