The Student Room Group

Dissertation pros and cons

So I am in my third year and have signed up to do a dissertation but I am unsure of it. My main question is do employers look at it. ie if I didn't do one would it look worse against those who did one.

I am not super passionate about one subject and worry if I am not that interested I would not produce a good piece of work

Also I struggle with anxiety and like routine and so something so self motivating like a dissertation might not be the best fit.

I would just really appreciate an honest review on doing a diss, pros and cons- mainly does it limit with employment post uni
Reply 1
Employers are more interested in work experience and your skills, the chances of them asking what you did it on are slim (unless really relevant to the job)
It's completely normal to have reservations about undertaking a dissertation, especially when considering its potential impact on future employment and the challenges it may pose. However, it's essential to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision. While completing a dissertation can showcase your research and analytical skills, it's not always a make-or-break factor for employers. The importance placed on a dissertation varies across industries and roles. Some employers value the in-depth research and commitment demonstrated through a dissertation, while others prioritize practical experience and skills gained through internships or other projects.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by neonprincess
So I am in my third year and have signed up to do a dissertation but I am unsure of it. My main question is do employers look at it. ie if I didn't do one would it look worse against those who did one.

I am not super passionate about one subject and worry if I am not that interested I would not produce a good piece of work

Also I struggle with anxiety and like routine and so something so self motivating like a dissertation might not be the best fit.

I would just really appreciate an honest review on doing a diss, pros and cons- mainly does it limit with employment post uni

Employers wont have a clue unless you tell them, and you'd only tell them if you were going in to a job that required you to do in-depth research. Very little chance of that unless you are going in to academia, then your dissertation is pretty vital for your PhD application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending