The Student Room Group

French Help?

Hi,

I know this is pretty basic but when, in French, do you use ça?

I want to say: It tells us that...

So is it: il/elle nous dit que...

Or: ça nous dit que...

I'm confused!

"Ca" is not very formal, and is used only when talking about objects. Like if you're talking about a text, it's best to say "Le texte nous dit que..."
Reply 2
Original post by Le Récamier
"Ca" is not very formal, and is used only when talking about objects. Like if you're talking about a text, it's best to say "Le texte nous dit que..."

Ok thanks :smile: I'm talking about my oral card so le texte is probably better!
Reply 3
Original post by Le Récamier

One more question.. :rolleyes:
If I want to say: activities that they can do there
Is ...Les activites qu'ils peuvent y faire.... correct?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
are you French, I only can understand English
Reply 5
Original post by jbw94
One more question.. :rolleyes:
If I want to say: activities that they can do there
Is ...Les activites qu'ils peuvent y faire.... correct?

Yeh, that sounds right. :-)
Reply 6
Original post by Sophia Lee
are you French, I only can understand English

No..
Reply 7
Original post by Jim464
Yeh, that sounds right. :-)

Cheers!
Reply 8
Original post by jbw94
Hi,

I know this is pretty basic but when, in French, do you use ça?

I want to say: It tells us that...

So is it: il/elle nous dit que...

Or: ça nous dit que...

I'm confused!

In that example you would use il/elle but the phrases "il est...." and "c'est...." are pretty much interchangable. If it's a speaking exam I would use c'est instead of il est because it's easier then thinking if you should il or elle. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by emzaz
In that example you would use il/elle but the phrases "il est...." and "c'est...." are pretty much interchangable. If it's a speaking exam I would use c'est instead of il est because it's easier then thinking if you should il or elle. :smile:

No, that's wrong. In this example you'd have to use ça or ceci/cela. As mentioned above ça is informal but on the other hand repetition is bad in French; we try to avoid them and tend to use pronouns as much as possible.

And "il est" and "c'est" are NOT interchangeable at all.

This is what I was talking about in my post in your thread about skype....

OP: http://french.about.com/library/weekly/aa032500.htm
I haven't read it myself so don't know how good it is, but usually it's not bad so it'll probably help you.
Reply 10
Original post by Xurvi
No, that's wrong. In this example you'd have to use ça or ceci/cela. As mentioned above ça is informal but on the other hand repetition is bad in French; we try to avoid them and tend to use pronouns as much as possible.

And "il est" and "c'est" are NOT interchangeable at all.

This is what I was talking about in my post in your thread about skype....

OP: http://french.about.com/library/weekly/aa032500.htm
I haven't read it myself so don't know how good it is, but usually it's not bad so it'll probably help you.

Ohhh - thank you! I'd always thought they were before as no one told me otherwise! thanks very much :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by emzaz
Ohhh - thank you! I'd always thought they were before as no one told me otherwise! thanks very much :biggrin:

Using one instead of the other is the error I see most often with pronoun errors (de/des/le/la/les/lui) so you're not the only one...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending