The Student Room Group

What is studying chemical engineering like?

As the title says
More specifically, how high is the workload? Is it always difficult? What's the split between maths/physicsy stuff/chemistry?

Thanks for any help :smile: I'm going to be studying it in September, and whilst I've found quite a lot on what chemical engineers do, it's been difficult to find any information at all on what the degree actually involves
The maths is not too bad.
It is mainly Physics though. Chemistry is much less of a part.
The discipline itself is mainly concerned with areas like mass balances and energy balances, rather than how the chemicals interact etc.
so maybe 3:1:1 Phy/Math/Chem
Reply 2
Original post by GingerGoat
The maths is not too bad.
It is mainly Physics though. Chemistry is much less of a part.
The discipline itself is mainly concerned with areas like mass balances and energy balances, rather than how the chemicals interact etc.
so maybe 3:1:1 Phy/Math/Chem

Right, thanks for the help. I was hoping maybe for a bit more maths than physics, but I can't do much about it.

Do you find that the workload is higher than other people's for non-engineering subjects?
Original post by t('.'t)
Right, thanks for the help. I was hoping maybe for a bit more maths than physics, but I can't do much about it.

Do you find that the workload is higher than other people's for non-engineering subjects?

The main idea of ChemEng is to control what is physically happening in a process, so yes it's a lot of physics. It's all about applying science.

Yes, the workload seems to be higher. But my course is a bit strange, so I couldn''t really tell you representatively.
(I do a combined degree so I do a lot of chemistry modules as well as a lot of engineering modules)
In my first year, we've mainly done mass and energy balance, fluid, heat and mass transfer and then maths and chemistry. There are also a lot of other things such as the great MATLAB and stats and stuff. There really isn't as much chemistry as I was expecting but still a fair bit. Mainly applied maths and physics I'd say, it's interesting.. but quite a bit of work!
Reply 5
Where are you studying gingercoat? And how long are you spending studying / working?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
:bump:
I have heard that ChemEng is one of the most challenging degrees (Obviously no degree is easy, but still). Whats the work/life balance like when studying the degree?
im torn between chemeng and chemistry even though they are very different. I love chemistry, but think i'd get bored in a lab fiddling about with test tubes all day....

Quick Reply

Latest