The Student Room Group

Rank the sciences in order of "importance"

I was just wondering out of:

Biology
Chemistry
Physics

which TSR sees as the most important. And by importance i mean most required for university courses, most relevant to everyday life, the most useful, most respected, most widely used, which opens the most doors, stuff like that :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Does everything in TSR need a ranking? Rank THESE sandwiches in order of prestige/taste/career prospects.

Tuna
Ham
Cheese
Bacon
Turkey
Reply 2
jesus wept
Chemistry most important in my opinion, range of courses open to you at university with it and it's very well looked upon by potential universities. They know a great deal of independent study goes into Chemistry A Level so it pays off to work at it, so my chemistry teacher says anyway lol

Physics or biology in any order afterwards as they are quite specific to whatever you're interested in.
(edited 13 years ago)
1. Mathematics
2. Everything else
Reply 5
1. Chemistry

Bio and phys can't really call it!
Define "Importance".
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Physics is clearly the most important. Without advances in physics, biology and chemitry wouldn't have the technology they needed to make progress and would still be stuck in the dark ages.
^ ****. This is true.
In all fairness, I loved biology(It's my favourite science), but in order of importance, I'd say they go in this order:
1. Physics
2. Chemistry
3. Biology

Saying that, I found biology pretty easy
Physics
Maths
Chem
Bio
Original post by gradjobplease
Does everything in TSR need a ranking? Rank THESE sandwiches in order of prestige/taste/career prospects.

Tuna
Ham
Cheese
Bacon
Turkey

Turkey
Bacon
Ham
Cheese
Tuna
:biggrin:
Original post by Organ
jesus wept

I love your sig :colone:

:ninja:
I'd say your definition of importance is pretty dodgey :/
I reckon chemistry & physics are required for more degrees than biology is and probably have more varied career prospects- that doesn't make the actual disciplines more important
But yeah, I couldn't call it.

Science in general is awesome :cool:
Reply 16
Physics is applied maths, chemistry is applied physics, biology is applied chemistry.

So out of the "sciences" physics is the most important, and physics and maths are in the same bed with each other(mathematicians are very good at physics and physicists are very good at maths)
Reply 17
Physics. At least that's what my Physics tutor says :tongue:
Physics, chemistry, biology.

Not sure what the point is though.
Reply 19
Chemistry, Biology, Physics
Edit: Flipping hell, I guess no one is entitled to their opinions on TSR :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending