The Student Room Group

Recommend me an A-level to do!

So, Basically i have no idea what career i want to go in, and can't seem to find any subjects i'm really passionate about doing at college.

I just want to do something that is interesting, relevent to society (If that makes sense), somewhat beneficial and can open me up to other career options in the future.

I don't want to do any Sciences/Maths, as although i enjoy them, i don't think i'm particularly good at them.

So what would be an ideal A-level be for me. I'm pretty much just interested in the world, and my ideal a-level would just be a combination of every subject. lol

Anyway, so please can somebody recommend me some A-Levels.

(P.S I've already picked my options, but I don't feel, I actually want to do them. So just wondering if theres anything else I can consider! :smile: )

Scroll to see replies

Do computing then go into Computer Science.:danceboy:
Reply 2
Original post by A Distant Mind
So, Basically i have no idea what career i want to go in, and can't seem to find any subjects i'm really passionate about doing at college.

I just want to do something that is interesting, relevent to society (If that makes sense), somewhat beneficial and can open me up to other career options in the future.

I don't want to do any Sciences/Maths, as although i enjoy them, i don't think i'm particularly good at them.

So what would be an ideal A-level be for me. I'm pretty much just interested in the world, and my ideal a-level would just be a combination of every subject. lol

(P.S I've already picked my options, but I don't feel, I actually want to do them. So just wondering if theres anything else I can consider! :smile: )

Geography?
History?
Philosophy, it's all kinds of awesome.
Reply 4
Original post by TM94
Geography?
History?

I've already picked Geography, as thats the only subject i think i'll enjoy. (hopefully) :smile:
I really want to do History, But the History at the college i'm going to is all based on America/governments, and isn't really The history I enjoy.
Reply 5
Original post by Drunk Punx
Philosophy, it's all kinds of awesome.

This
Original post by LiamHartley
This

:five:
Hmmmmm....... Economics?

I love this subject.
If you want a combination of every subject, I'd go for politics or law (or something similar). Even English Language/Literature which could open up doors into journalism (which seems like a perfect career if you're interested in the world). They can be quite academically intense though, so you'd have to be sure that's what you wanted to study.

Alternatively, if you're good at languages, learning a modern language can be a wonderful way of finding out about the world. The A-level syllabus is particularly focused on current affairs.

EDIT: History can be an awkward subject because you may not enjoy the A-level syllabus. Nevertheless, once you've done your A-levels and decided to study it at university, you can choose pretty much any subject you like. A lot of history A-level courses do include an element of choice if you do coursework, but still, it's probably not a good idea to commit yourself to studying 2 years of history that you won't enjoy. Saying that, you may be pleasantly surprised - I was absolutely dreading studying Charles I and Oliver Cromwell as part of A2 history but am actually really enjoying it!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9

Economics, if your college takes a Development module.
Reply 10
geog, philosophy, law?

_Kar.
Geography, Politics and History maybe?
Do biblical hebrew, it's an A level on OCR.
Perhaps something like this:

Geography
Psychology
French
Govt & Politics

^ you've got a language, a main essay subject, a sort-of-history subject (Politics), and a sort-of-but-not-a-science subject
Reply 14
Economics! It's slightly mathematical but it's very interesting and is completely relevant to society. If you're just looking for an extra subject to do I would highly recommend it.
Original post by LornaSandison1
If you want a combination of every subject, I'd go for politics or law (or something similar). Even English Language/Literature which could open up doors into journalism (which seems like a perfect career if you're interested in the world). They can be quite academically intense though, so you'd have to be sure that's what you wanted to study.

Alternatively, if you're good at languages, learning a modern language can be a wonderful way of finding out about the world. The A-level syllabus is particularly focused on current affairs.

EDIT: History can be an awkward subject because you may not enjoy the A-level syllabus. Nevertheless, once you've done your A-levels and decided to study it at university, you can choose pretty much any subject you like. A lot of history A-level courses do include an element of choice if you do coursework, but still, it's probably not a good idea to commit yourself to studying 2 years of history that you won't enjoy. Saying that, you may be pleasantly surprised - I was absolutely dreading studying Charles I and Oliver Cromwell as part of A2 history but am actually really enjoying it!!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. :smile:

If i don't do history at A-level, Could i still do it at degree level?
And yeah, I was going to pick french, But most people have put me off doing it, as apparantly its really hard.
Original post by reaped
Economics! It's slightly mathematical but it's very interesting and is completely relevant to society. If you're just looking for an extra subject to do I would highly recommend it.

Yeah i think I might do Economics, but would I have to maths A-level aswell?
Reply 17
All languages are hard, if you're good at them, you might as well try. I'd spew some spiel about Maths, like I usually do, but you've stated you'd rather not do Maths and Sciences, hence I'm just going to recommend that you keep your options open, do English or possibly History. Philosophy and Ethics always seemed a fairly interesting course as well, but my school don't offer it.
maths
Yeah i think I might do Economics, but would I have to maths A-level aswell?

No, the hardest maths involved is calculating percentage changes.

Quick Reply

Latest