The Student Room Group

Anti-Street Harassment UK- a new feminist group.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by insoms
Because men get on with their lives.

Men get just as much abuse in life if not more.

Men have to deal with people being physically violent towards them. Men usually aren't violent to women.

But did I go cry and make some groupa bout it? No I grew up and ignored them.

Why should women accept harassment and abuse? If you've experienced it and chose to accept it, that's your decision.

The fact that men also experience abuse doesn't cancel out the fact that women also experience abuse.

Both exist and the sufferers can choose what action to take.

Ever heard of domestic violence?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Archaos
I really don't think you can compare this to a doctor caring for sufferers of bowel cancer. Doctors still exist to cure throat cancer, neither types of doctors are in conflict with each other and there is no dispute of 'rights' between victims of each disease.

I think the example works.

Protecting women from abuse doesn't conflict with protecting men from abuse.
Original post by No Future
Interesting post, but personally I'd be freaked out even if it was a good looking guy harassing me.

Well define "harassment" in your case then...when does someone overstep the line? When you tell them you aren't interested...or do you just not tell them and leave it open to confusion and misinterpretation?
I don't see why people feel the need to shout out lewd and lecherous comments and whistle at the top of their lungs, let alone resort to actually grabbing a feel.

It makes you wonder as to whether or not such people were raised in the wild by a pack of feral wolves, because it's evident from their lack of restraint and good manners that they most certainly weren't raised by humans. People with bad manners really annoy me. It's almost as if they don't realise they're a walking embarrassment to their species.

Thankfully the majority of people don't feel the need to act like chimpanzees and yell at the top of their voice whenever they come across a female.
I seriously ****ing hate feminists. They whine about everything. What - do they seriously expect to walk around in mini skirts and high heels and not be noticed by men? I say you take it as a ****ing compliment if people find you attractive, not be some whiny bitch and neglect your attractiveness....:facepalm2:
Original post by Berbalicious
Well define "harassment" in your case then...when does someone overstep the line? When you tell them you aren't interested...or do you just not tell them and leave it open to confusion and misinterpretation?

Being groped in the street.

I don't see what's the confusion. Treat women with respect.
Original post by No Future
Being groped in the street.

I don't see what's the confusion. Treat women with respect.

Well for me there is no confusion, its depressing to think that women have been groped in public as it lets the male species down.

Do you report these guys.....or just get on with it? They will probably never learn otherwise even if it probably may not be worth the hassle.
Original post by Lewroll
In my opinion, groping and harassment are bad, and women shouldn't have to feel threatened walking down the street.

But consider this for a moment, it may not be the act of groping which women dislike, could it possibly be the person doing the groping?
Thoughts?

Hate to tell you this, but from someone who values their personal space highly, you're wrong. I get edgy when someone I don't know thinks they have rights on my person, and I don't care what they look like. I'm a shorty (5'1) which doesn't help. Someone makes threatening moves, I'm not thinking "oh boy, they're hot", I'm thinking "oh ****, they've got nearly a foot on me and they're intimidating as hell".

I don't think guys, sometimes, realise how intimidating they can be just by virtue of size. Even the GOOD mannered ones -- I've been taken aback, a time or two, by six foot guys I barely know grabbing me in a hug and kissing me on the cheek to say hello. Awesome, you're friendly, yes, but for that five seconds my brain is going "YOU'RE CAUGHT, RUN THE HELL AWAY!" I'm not talking guys I was dating, but married and in-relationship guys who learnt this is Good Manners.

(And most of the ones doing that? Lovely guys, who when talked to politely realised what they were doing and shifted to handshakes just as they would with, I dunno, ANY OTHER GUY THEY KNEW. )
Original post by darknessbehold
I seriously ****ing hate feminists. They whine about everything. What - do they seriously expect to walk around in mini skirts and high heels and not be noticed by men? I say you take it as a ****ing compliment if people find you attractive, not be some whiny bitch and neglect your attractiveness....:facepalm2:

It is a perfectly valid thing to complain about, many people rightly feel annoyed when followed down the street by men yelling out 'nice arse' and 'let me grab yer tits love'. It is not a compliment to engage in such behaviour and just demonstrates you have poor manners, poor social etiquette, and reside firmly on the bottom rung of the class ladder.
Reply 109
lol you just know the ones starting this group are the jelous ones that have never been "harrased"
Original post by fire2burn
It is not a compliment to engage in such behaviour and just demonstrates you have poor manners, poor social etiquette, and reside firmly on the bottom rung of the class ladder.

This. If you think hollering "nice tits pet" across the street is complimentary behaviour - you are a complete and utter peasant.
Original post by fire2burn
It is a perfectly valid thing to complain about, many people rightly feel annoyed when followed down the street by men yelling out 'nice arse' and 'let me grab yer tits love'. It is not a compliment to engage in such behaviour and just demonstrates you have poor manners, poor social etiquette, and reside firmly on the bottom rung of the class ladder.

Do these guys genuinely believe they will pull with this mentality though?
Do they believe the ladies are thinking "Thanks for the compliment, lets fcuk".
Or is it, as expected some complex misconceived pattern of behaviour that they have picked up in relation to how they should be interracting with women they fancy?

In a way, if a guy is getting a handful of boob whenever he wants, with little or no comeuppance then is it possible for him to ever learn otherwise?
Original post by rex.t.zephron
Dress like a slut, get treated like a slut. Dress with some self respect, get treated with respect.

And if you're in a trouser suit, with a t-shirt under your shirt, because apparently women's clothes makers don't like white shirts which aren't to some extent seethrough and you're sick of guys staring at your boobs, whose fault is it then? Yours for having breasts? Or MAAAAAYBE to guys have to take responsibility for their own behaviour?
I absolutely hate being shouted at. Once a couple of guys in a van were doing it and when I didnt reply or look at them they started yelling that I was a c***.
And another guy, when I ignored him, yelled "oh well you're an ugly bitch anyway". All just because I wasnt totally bowled over by they're wolf-whistling.
It is threatening and it is scary at times.

Disgusting.

Errr where is clothing mentioned? You do realise that this happens to women regardless of what they're wearing?? I was walking home from work in my suit and it happened to me. Another time I was wearing jeans and a Rammstein shirt. Hardly slutty or provocative :rolleyes:

Its not about clothing, dear.
Some of the responses to this thread just show how deeply certain attitudes are entrenched in society. If this campaign focused on ethnic minorities getting shouted at in the street there would be support for it: not people saying "see this is why I hate black people, just deal with it, don't get all butthurt and start a protest group, what a joke"
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 116
Why must these self obsessed women hate men so?
Original post by Antonia87
Errr where is clothing mentioned? You do realise that this happens to women regardless of what they're wearing?? I was walking home from work in my suit and it happened to me. Another time I was wearing jeans and a Rammstein shirt. Hardly slutty or provocative :rolleyes:

Its not about clothing, dear.

I'm sorry, its maybe because you might seem attractive to stir attention towards you?
I swear, what do women want :banghead:
Original post by Lewroll

You get the idea. Attractive vs unattractive. Now I'm not saying this justifies those mens behaviour, what I am suggesting that perhaps it isn't the act itself which women dislike, rather, the person who is calling to them.

Thoughts?

Erm, no. He could be Captain Jack Sparrow for all I care, if he's yelling "Nice tits love", I'm going to hate him and flip him one.

Lol it is so not a case of "Well he is rather gorgeous so I'll let him yell about my body in the most vulgar manner possible" :rolleyes:
I'm sorry, its maybe because you might seem attractive to stir attention towards you?
I swear, what do women want :banghead:

To not be yelled at in the street and then suffer abuse if we dont respond?

Isnt that fair?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending