The Student Room Group

For all you anti gun hoplophobes on here

Scroll to see replies

There were only two gun murders in scotland last year I dont think thats bad at all
Reply 121
Original post by Honeybear.
Is it just me or are guns getting less deadly?

The man, aged 35, and the girl remain in a critical but stable condition.

The girl, who is thought to be the youngest victim of gun crime in London, was shot in the chest.

The shopkeeper, who lived above the store, was shot in the face. The victims were not related.

Somebody shot in the face survived?
I know this is rare, but it happened to that senator in America recently too.
and a young girl, shot in the chest and surviving? Crazy.

This is obviously a good thing, though.

Depends how long ago you're comparing it to, but perhaps medical techniques, that shooters are sometimes not trained in firing weapons, and luck have something to do with it.
Reply 122
Original post by Hardballer

Is this saying that you think the people of Iran are pussies and want to kill Americans?

I hope not 'cause that would be insane.
Reply 123
Just because the spartans fought persians doesn't mean that will be who we fight next time
How did you manage to get a gun...? I though they didn't give them out to the insane?
Seriously the comments just get better and better on this thread, a kevlar vest might stop a 9mm, but not a rifle, he can just keep shooting and shooting until you die or he can shoot you in the head, thus you need a way of stopping the threat, your logic is that we should just equip soldiers on peacekepping missions with bulletproof armour.

silverbolt
]It goes on the adage that the best defense is a strong offense. Or kill before getting killed. Just because you havea gun does not mean you cant use it to defend yourself. You can defend yourself by shooting back.

But if someone's threatening you with a gun, when are you going to have time to get your own gun out? Presumably they'll shoot you as soon as they see you attempting this.

I don't really see how carrying a gun does stop the threat. You're not exactly going to be walking around the streets pointing a gun at everyone you see just so that they don't threaten you with one first. But in order to shoot before getting shot, that's what you'd need to do - point your gun at them before they point it at you.

Let's say a guy comes up to you in a car park and points a gun at your head, demanding that you hand over your car keys. You're carrying a gun on you as well. What exactly are you going to do? How are you going to "defend yourself" with a gun? How does the fact that you're carrying a gun help you in any way?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 126
Original post by LauriC
How did you manage to get a gun...? I though they didn't give them out to the insane?

What planet do you come from where people give you things for free?
Original post by DKer
I think you mean statistically suggested, your point is valid though, increase in gun crime doesn't necesserily mean an increase in violent crime. However I would be surprised if the kids in the US schools shot by one of their peers would still have been killed if he/she hadn't had access to a gun.

Statistics is just a part of mathematical science, so..
Original post by tazarooni89
But if someone's threatening you with a gun, when are you going to have time to get your own gun out? Presumably they'll shoot you as soon as they see you attempting this.

I don't really see how carrying a gun does stop the threat. You're not exactly going to be walking around the streets pointing a gun at everyone you see just so that they don't threaten you with one first. But in order to shoot before getting shot, that's what you'd need to do - point your gun at them before they point it at you.

Let's say a guy comes up to you in a car park and points a gun at your head, demanding that you hand over your car keys. You're carrying a gun on you as well. What exactly are you going to do? How are you going to "defend yourself" with a gun? How does the fact that you're carrying a gun help you in any way?

In your argument it doesnt, your are not going to be fast enough to reach for your gun get it out disarm the safety point and shoot in the time it takes for the guy with a gun to your head to pull the trigger (im not going into how you actually disarm a gunman for this scenario which i theoretically know how to do) no matter what weapon you carry whether bullet blade or stick your in a straight away not happening situation.

I think you are incorrect in one regard though - you dont need to point a gun first you need to shoot it first, there is a massive difference.

however say a guy with a gun breaks into your home, in that instance you have the time to get your own gun out and either target him with it or shoot him before he shoots you thus your offense is your best defense
Reply 129
I would do whats nessecary to protect my life and if that means putting a .45 in his head then so be it, not much of a survivalist are you?

Ever killed anyone? Didn't think so, how can you know what you would do on the spur of the moment, I'm sure a desperate drug addicted burglar would waste you much more easily than you could do him, or what about your loved ones?....
Reply 130
Original post by tazarooni89

lots of instances where people have defend themselves effectively, the fact that you're carrying a gun gives you a chance to fight back if the criminals is going to kill you anyway, and alot of criminals will harm you anyway because its what they thrive on, so if thats the case then you have nothing to lose by going for your gun, and whilst open carrying just the visibilty of your gun acts a deterrent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Ps1ZC1-Qw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iAK25g3pVM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntk0n1Q5nMk&feature=related
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by thisisnew
Guns are for pussies... I take a pair of mini scissors with me when I walk down to the garage on nights.

I do this, but I have to take the green and yellow ones because I'm left handed. :yep:
Currently the majority of people with guns are criminals who would use them illegally on innocents.
With more liberal gun laws, the majority of people with guns would be law-obeying citizens.

I think the second scenario is obviously more preferable. Also, we have places like Switzerland where virtually everyone owns guns but there is a low murder/crime rate. To me that proves that, at the end of the day, it's still a person pulling the trigger - the gun doesn't have a mind of its own - and if we educated people on gun safety it could be done. And although not a huge benefit, it would provide whole new markets to help the economy, e.g. people selling guns, people making guns, people repairing them, gun firing ranges, etc.

Hardballer, whilst I agree with you, I think it's a null argument. I seriously doubt this country will ever move towards a more liberal stance on gun laws. The people are too brainwashed.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 133
Original post by Bosch
Ever killed anyone? Didn't think so, how can you know what you would do on the spur of the moment, I'm sure a desperate drug addicted burglar would waste you much more easily than you could do him, or what about your loved ones?....

I'm sure he could if I was UNARMED
Reply 134
Original post by MarcusTheEskimo
Currently the majority of people with guns are criminals who would use them illegally on innocents.
With more liberal gun laws, the majority of people with guns would be law-obeying citizens.

I think the second scenario is obviously more preferable. Also, we have places like Switzerland where virtually everyone owns guns but there is a low murder/crime rate. To me that proves that, at the end of the day, it's still a person pulling the trigger - the gun doesn't have a mind of its own - and if we educated people on gun safety it could be done. And although not a huge benefit, it would provide whole new markets to help the economy, e.g. people selling guns, people making guns, people repairing them, gun firing ranges, etc.

Hardballer, whilst I agree with you, I think it's a null argument. I seriously doubt this country will ever move towards a more liberal stance on gun laws. The people are too brainwashed.

unfortunately so, but its always good to educate the sheep we have in this country who think guns just jump up by themselves and kill people
unfortunately so, but its always good to educate the sheep we have in this country who think guns just jump up by themselves and kill people

Hah, good one, the amount of times I have argued with people who seem to think that guns themselves are the killers. :rolleyes:

This is a nice video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6gcFPjdwiI

That maniac comes into the store and starts attacking people with the knife, the shop keeper and his legally owned gun soon put a stop to him. Probably noteworthy that the guy at 2:24 would probably be dead right now if it wasn't for the fact that the shopkeeper owned a gun.

Edit: The show the video is on, The Young Turks, is well known for being very liberal. Is the general view that liberal people are pro-gun ownership? Because after all, being pro-gun ownership is about giving people freedom to choose.
(edited 13 years ago)
guns haven't killed anybody, only people are capable of that, and the chinese invented the firearm back in the twelfth centuary so feel free to vent your anger at them, and it takes a man to walk away whilst your family are gangraped.

lol im pretty sure a whole family cant get gangraped but yeh the satisfaction of beating them with my own hands would be more satisfying than just shooting them =/
Reply 137
Original post by Manesh2468
lol im pretty sure a whole family cant get gangraped but yeh the satisfaction of beating them with my own hands would be more satisfying than just shooting them =/

ok tough guy have fun
We do need more guns imo but the laws should be tight for those aquiring to get one
Its easy to get a gun in London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending