The Student Room Group

A2 Options for Medicine

Hello, I'm currently a L6 Student studying A-Levels in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English Literature.

I would like to apply for Medicine at top uni's, first choice Oxford, second choice Imperial etc.. However I have a dilemma as to A2 choices, as I am presently in an accelerated Maths class (did C1 in Year 11, did C2 & M1 in Jan 2011 and doing C3 & S1 in May).

Option 1: Drop Eng Lit. and stay on in my accelerated Maths class which includes AS Further Maths as part of the course. However English Literature is something I enjoy.

Option 2: Drop Acc. Maths and just do C4 in January, effectively completing full A-Level in Maths (no Maths exams in summer 2012), then just focus on Bio, Chem and Eng Lit.. However, I wonder if doing Eng Lit. exams AND Science exams would be a bit of a mismatch?

Option 3: Drop Eng Lit. and drop Acc. Maths, thus leaving me with just Biology & Chemistry examinations in summer 2012. Easiest option.

The problem is, my school's head of Sixth Form, who handles all UCAS applications, advised me that the aforementioned option 3 would make me seem "lazy" to top universities, who are generally looking for students who can prove they're capable of handling intensive workloads.

The main decision I need help on is Accelerated Maths (Single Maths PLUS AS Further Maths) VS. English Lit. Neither are compulsory for Medicine, I understand. My best subject is Maths, closely followed by English Lit.

Would an A/A* grade in English Literature, although not compulsory, demonstrate diversity or would it just be dismissed by admissions tutors as irrelevant?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this post sums up a lot of what is wrong about medicine applications - top unis, dodgy advice from schools, doing a million a-levels .etc.

I very much doubt this whole accelerated maths or whatever it is will make any difference to your application.
Reply 2
What about Eng Lit. then? To drop or not to drop, that is the question.
Reply 3
sorry, if I am correct you are asking should you do A2 eng lit, in addition to maths, chem and bio A2.

If so; I would say no, unless you are desperate to do english lit. For Oxon and Imperial the bmat and interview are both miles more important than collecting qualifications. No medical school cares about 4 A2 levels, and you would be better off focusing on your 3 A2 levels, interviews, admissions tests and just having a bit of fun.

I may have the wrong end of the stick, it seems quite a confusing situation!
Original post by Newbie123
I would like to apply for Medicine at top uni's, first choice Oxford, second choice Imperial etc..

:facepalm:
Reply 5
Original post by colabottles
:facepalm:

Problem?
Problem?

There's not really any 'top' unis for medicine. The thing that you should think about it whether the course would suit you and if they'd give you an interview, not ~prestige~.
Reply 7
I would say that focusing on the BMAT is your main priority TBH.

But word of warning, from knowing people doing this applying to all BMAT unis not the best idea. I would pick med schools wisely
Reply 8
Original post by colabottles
There's not really any 'top' unis for medicine. The thing that you should think about it whether the course would suit you and if they'd give you an interview, not ~prestige~.

That's not really a valid point, is it? "Prestige" as you say, doesn't arise from nowhere, and I would like to be in the best possible learning environment for the duration of my university education, I don't think I deserve to be judged by strangers on the internet for saying I want to apply to a "top" uni.

"There's not really any `top` unis for medicine."

Then why do rankings exist? Why is Oxford held in higher regard by applicants and employers as a better university than Lincoln University? I'm sure the courses at Kingston Uni etc. will have courses with a lighter workload, which I'd prefer, but it doesn't mean I'd want to go there.

Do you really think that I'm naive enough to not even have looked at what the Medicine course at Oxford (arguably one of the most competitive in the world) entails?

Is it really so bad that I would like to make the most of the exorbitent tuition fees that I'm obliged to pay? Give me a break.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
That's not really a valid point, is it? "Prestige" as you say, doesn't arise from nowhere, and I would like to be in the best possible learning environment for the duration of my university education, I don't think I deserve to be judged by strangers on the internet for saying I want to apply to a "top" uni.

"There's not really any `top` unis for medicine."

Then why do rankings exist? Why is Oxford held in higher regard by applicants and employers as a better university than Lincoln University? I'm sure the courses at Kingston Uni etc. will have courses with a lighter workload, which I'd prefer, but it doesn't mean I'd want to go there.

Do you really think that I'm naive enough to not even have looked at what the Medicine course at Oxford (arguably one of the most competitive in the world) entails?

Is it really so bad that I would like to make the most of the exorbitent tuition fees that I'm obliged to pay? Give me a break.

I think you are confusing medicine with say history or geography.

This topic has been done to death on this forum, and it really doesn't matter which medical school you attend regards jobs and training. Make sure you pick Oxford medicine for reasons that make sense - the course, the collegiate system, the location and so forth. I could understand your train of thought regards say economics, but they don't really work with medicine. Neither Lincoln nor Kingston do medicine!

Going to Oxford won't mean you make the most of your tuition fees - it won't get you better jobs or a better education (in medicine!) if that's what you mean. If the course is up your street, and the other factors that make up Oxford Medical School appeal to you - then it will indeed be making the most of your £9K.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Organ
I think you are confusing medicine with say history or geography.

This topic has been done to death on this forum, and it really doesn't matter which medical school you attend regards jobs and training. Make sure you pick Oxford medicine for reasons that make sense - the course, the collegiate system, the location and so forth. I could understand your train of thought regards say economics, but they don't really work with medicine. Neither Lincoln nor Kingston do medicine!

If a potential employer were to pick between two identical job candidates, with the only difference being that one was educated at Sheffield Uni and one was educated at Oxford (both with 1st class degrees), no matter what you may believe, I'm pretty certain that the latter would get the job.

I've considered the prospect of Oxford very carefully for 2 or 3 years now, and its an informed decision to apply, so please don't think I'm an over-ambitious idiot who only sees the name and fails to see anything else.

Without being pretentious, I know I'm capable of getting into Oxford, and I personally feel going to Bristol/Sheffield/Cardiff Uni for Medicine would be an underachievement. I visited Christ Church College in Oxford when I was about 12 and after sufficient research have decided that is where I want to attend.

So enough advice about where I should study Medicine, right now I would like some guidance on A2 choices.
Reply 11
That's not really a valid point, is it? "Prestige" as you say, doesn't arise from nowhere

You are correct. It arises from the uninformed notions of pliable schoolchildren.
Reply 12
If a potential employer were to pick between two identical job candidates, with the only difference being that one was educated at Sheffield Uni and one was educated at Oxford (both with 1st class degrees), no matter what you may believe, I'm pretty certain that the latter would get the job.
I'm pretty certain you're wrong on several levels.

If you graduate from medicine with a 1st class degree from a 'prestigious university' I will kneel in the middle of my hossie's mess and suck your cock. However, until that day, you can suck mine.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13

Without being pretentious, I know I'm capable of getting into Oxford, and I personally feel going to Bristol/Sheffield/Cardiff Uni for Medicine would be an underachievement.

Nail in the coffin. I suggest you try a different forum
Reply 14

No they wouldn't, not in medicine, as has been stated hundreds of times on this forum.

You can't get first class degrees in medicine either.

People have different opinons on the best medical school - many people say Newcastle is the best - you say Oxford - it's all personal, ask a consultant who went to Bristol and he will say Bristol, one that went to Georges and he will say Georges. A best medical school really does not exist.

I've considered the prospect of Oxford very carefully for 2 or 3 years now, and its an informed decision to apply, so please don't think I'm an over-ambitious idiot who only sees the name and fails to see anything else.

Have you considered medicine though?

Without being pretentious, I know I'm capable of getting into Oxford, and I personally feel going to Bristol/Sheffield/Cardiff Uni for Medicine would be an underachievement. I visited Christ Church College in Oxford when I was about 12 and after sufficient research have decided that is where I want to attend.

Why the hate for Sheffield!

I can see this thread is just going to descend into name-calling, and you just come across as being a little bit immature, so I won't be nasty.

So enough advice about where I should study Medicine, right now I would like some guidance on A2 choices.

I have given you guidence sir!

Original post by Renal
If you graduate from medicine with a 1st class degree from a 'prestigious university' I will kneel in the middle of my hossie's mess and suck your cock. However, until that day, you can suck mine.

LOL! he's a schoolchild! think what the gmc would say :eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by SteveCrain
Nail in the coffin. I suggest you try a different forum

Whatever man, I'm sure however old you are, if you had an offer from Oxford/Cambridge you would take it.

Thanks for all your help.
Reply 16
Original post by Renal

Applause worthy post this, applause worthy. I'm actually applauding.

*Please rate some other members before rating this member again*
Reply 17
Original post by Renal

Yeah sure, I'll suck you off if you actually know what you're talking about, i.e. first-hand experience, until then you're just gonna have to suck it yourself mate.
Reply 18
Whatever man, I'm sure however old you are, if you had an offer from Oxford/Cambridge you would take it.

Thanks for all your help.

Not for medicine I wouldn't
Reply 19
Original post by Organ
No they wouldn't, not in medicine, as has been stated hundreds of times on this forum.

You can't get first class degrees in medicine either.

People have different opinons on the best medical school - many people say Newcastle is the best - you say Oxford - it's all personal, ask a consultant who went to Bristol and he will say Bristol, one that went to Georges and he will say Georges. A best medical school really does not exist.

Have you considered medicine though?

Why the hate for Sheffield!

I can see this thread is just going to descend into name-calling, and you just come across as being a little bit immature, so I won't be nasty.

I have given you guidence sir!

LOL! he's a schoolchild! think what the gmc would say :eek:

Of course I've considered medicine, I don't understand why all of you are trying to get rude to me on the internet just because I want to apply to Oxford?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending