The Student Room Group

UCL how can they check?

How do UCL check that you've done A2/As module resits?
Probably have a supplementary form like Cambridge do that you have to fill in..
Reply 2
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Probably have a supplementary form like Cambridge do that you have to fill in..

I don't believe so. I don't think they currently can, although this may be changing for next year's cycle.
Original post by nexttime
I don't believe so. I don't think they currently can, although this may be changing for next year's cycle.

Ahh okay, I didn't know, I was just guessing :rolleyes:
OP, either way if they can check or not, I wouldn't take the risk
Reply 5
OP, either way if they can check or not, I wouldn't take the risk

Well for A2 they definitely can't as offers are out by then, so no risk there.

Between January and AS i guess its possible. In my year they 100% could not tell and all of the unis that said 'no re-sits' were talking out of their arses (except cambridge), but i am not up to date with what you have to put on UCAS forms these days.

does UCL definitely have a no re-sit policy? People often misinterpret unis that don't want a-levels taken over 3 years.
I guess it depends on when the re-sits are. If the re-sits are taken during your first year, how the hell can they tell?
Well for A2 they definitely can't as offers are out by then, so no risk there.

Between January and AS i guess its possible. In my year they 100% could not tell and all of the unis that said 'no re-sits' were talking out of their arses (except cambridge), but i am not up to date with what you have to put on UCAS forms these days.

does UCL definitely have a no re-sit policy? People often misinterpret unis that don't want a-levels taken over 3 years.

Hmm..yeah that's true, I think if you reapply and apply to UCL, I don't think then there's a problem whether or not you've done your exams with retakes. Yes, they definitely have that policy, they want their exams to be done in 'one sitting' without any module retakes at AS or A2. I remember early last year, there was a thread in this forum, warning people in advance. But, yeah, I have no idea how they check it :s-smilie: The rule was implemented for the 2011 entry. I think it's a way to reduce competition...

I think it's a bit harsh tbh..
Original post by Wick3d
I guess it depends on when the re-sits are. If the re-sits are taken during your first year, how the hell can they tell?

I don't know about everyone but some schools (including mine) make students cash in their AS results and also if they will be taking any AS resits in their A2 year.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
I don't know about everyone but some schools (including mine) make students cash in their AS results and also if they will be taking any AS resits in their A2 year.

I think they can't find out if you resat in the same year, for example if you did some modules in January of year 12 and resat some in June of year 12. But I think they will find out if you resit some in year 13. They absolutely do not accept A2 resits from what I can see but permit AS ones but only a few and im guessing they mean repeating any modules after year 12, unless you got an A and you just want to improve your UMS but you would be better of asking them about that.

My school cashes in the AS levels, it just means I have to work harder and get things right this year, I want to apply to UCL too. :biggrin:
Reply 10
They have changed their policy. It is now much more relaxed... They advise against any resits but it is no longer a rule for 2011 entry.
Reply 11
Im looking at applying to UCL next year as a reapplicant and didn't realise you couldn't resit modules. Im only thinking of resitting my jan A2 module for maths in the summer, but only to get an A* grade. I got an A in the exam originally. Will they mind if a resat it despite the fact i got an A in the first place, but used the resit to get an A*??

thanks
Reply 12
Original post by raveen789
But I think they will find out if you resit some in year 13. They absolutely do not accept A2 resits from what I can see but permit AS ones but only a few and im guessing they mean repeating any modules after year 12,

pray tell - how could they possibly enforce this (given that offers will be made before any exams in year 13 are taken). This is simply not true.
Reply 13
pray tell - how could they possibly enforce this (given that offers will be made before any exams in year 13 are taken). This is simply not true.

Sorry I did say 'I think' but to enforce these rules they probably must have some way of finding out. And offers can be made after your January year 13 modules.
They don't have a supplementary form for all subjects. It might flag up when the exam boards send them your results in the summer. Also, when you put it on UCAS, the date will be incongruous with the rest of your exams.
Reply 15
I don't think it's that you're not allowed to resit I think it's just not recommended as they feel it might mean you're not suitable for the difficulty of the course.
Anyway, I've managed to resit my Mechanics 1 module 3 times and I have an offer so I don't think it's too big of a deal, they really just want you to sit your A Levels in the usual 2 years!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending