The Student Room Group

People who don't go to uni, do they really miss out?

Scroll to see replies

I did the working thing for two years (Legal sector, with training which would have earnt me a good wage) but I realised I wanted to go to uni after all to study English Literature. Am in my first year with no regrets. :smile: I do think working in a professional environment was a great experience and taught me a lot, but I am glad I went to uni after all too! I love my course. :biggrin:
Reply 21
It really depends what type of person you are. If you want to go places and broaden your horizon and are an ambitious person, Uni is the way to go, without a doubt.

If you're talking about social life then, again, Uni is where it's at.
Reply 22
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Reasons why?

Because majority of those graduating do not get the job they are after.

There are many reasons for this, main is experience. People can cry and shout as much about their qualifications as they like, but if they did not do a placement or have NO work experience (as most do) at all, then the qualifications will get you no where.

Graduate schemes work, but there are so many graduates now that your chances of getting on the scheme are low.

There are so many graduates because everyone has been fed a story that university = good job.

It used to, but now, it does not - problem is that it's too late for most. It's tesco tills for a good while, paying off a lifetime work of debt.

The social side of it? I won't deny that's good and worthwhile but it seems likely you will just end up chundering the money down the drain through drink.

Also some graduates think themselves of being too "good" for a job. And therefore do not apply for minimum wage jobs, and thus = no chance of work experience = JSA for life!!!

That said, some graduates are still graduating and doing well in life, and well done to them.
Original post by Kodias
It really depends what type of person you are. If you want to go places and broaden your horizon and are an ambitious person, Uni is the way to go, without a doubt.

If you're talking about social life then, again, Uni is where it's at.

One could travel round the world for all that as well, no?
In answer to the OP, no you don't miss out on the best years of your life, you still have them just not as a student.

I didn't start uni till I was 22, I worked full time and partied hard, moved out at 19 so I gained independence rapidly. Uni is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but don't go unless you really really want to.

I decided to go at 22 because I finally knew what I wanted/still want and also because some of my friends were getting married and having kids (becoming boring!) and I wasn't ready to hand my partying boots up just yet so uni just fitted.

So don't rush it, go when you're ready, you wont miss anything.
One could travel round the world for all that as well, no?

Yes, if one has a mint out in the garage.
Uni is overrated.

It's a lot of partying.
A lot of hangovers.
Lack of sleep at night.
People are fake (at least in my experience).

I wish I had of stayed at my job to be honest.
As you can pretty much see from the replies in this thread, it's such a subjective thing. And you just can't really know until you're at uni, which is why it's such a difficult one to answer. For me personally, it's given me confidence and helped me to grow as a person thus far. I had low confidence to begin with and had a lot to regain, though - I spent a year at my local uni doing a course I was unsure about and probably doing for the wrong reasons (law). I took a year out and worked in minimum wage employment, which gave me time to sort my head out, save up some money I lost from that year of uni, and really think about which uni felt right and where I wanted to go. I couldn't have done that directly going into work - my dream is either to work for a political organisation of some sort or something like that, and for all of them it's better to be a graduate. And thus far doing my course at this uni, I've felt like it's 'right'... of course I've had my wobbly bits, but ultimately it's all down to what feels 'right' for you as cheesy as it may sound.
university is valuable to you if its what you need to get into your chosen field of work. You don't even need to do a full degree if you want to learn the skills to set up your own business for example. On top of that, theres no rush to go to uni - you can go at any age, providing you have the sufficient qualifications to do so.
Reply 29
I don't understand how people say that going to uni gives you independence compared to not going. Surely it is more independent to work and buy or rent your own place rather to live in halls and with other people?!

When people say "university is the best years of your life" I generally, without really even thinking about it, expect that they mean getting wasted a lot. I suppose a lot do tbh but I know that some people mean something else.

I'm going to university but only because it necessary for my career choice. It wouldn't be worth the money otherwise and would be a waste of 3 yrs.

I think a lot of people go just to waste time. They don't really think it through but they know they don't want a proper job yet. This I expect will change though with the fee increase which I suppose will be the only good thing to come of them lol

But anyway, your doing the right thing questioning what to do. I think you should consider what it is you want to do for a career and look at all the routes that are possible and choose which route is really right for you. If I was you I wouldn't even consider the social aspects of things to begin with. Just think about what you actually need to do and then if it is a tie between the two (work or Uni) then think about social aspects and personal growth.
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
I am 23 years of age. Having come from a poor and working class background I can say that I have experienced one of the many alternatives to pursuing education; going straight into unskilled work since 16. Factory, warehouse, call centre, sales, shop work, you name it I've done it, and I've hated most of it because I knew I was always not fulfilling my potential or challenging or developing myself as a person as much as I wanted to. It made me feel quite hollow at times. It has developed some personal attributes that I am proud of though, which can only be gained with experience. Resilience, great communication skills, perseverance, patience, determination and personal responsibility just to name a few. As previously stated though, I feel my intellectual development has just been hibernating since the age of 18 and only now am I starting to realize my potential and utilize it. I am entering education this year though and I can't wait.

I would say that university it is not the 'right' path for some people, and school leavers certainly need to lose the idea that going to university is the done thing, or it is what is expected. If you do not feel passionate enough to study something for 3 or 4 years and put in an awful lot of work to achieve a good degree, then just don't bother. I've met quite a few people who just go to university to get drunk most days and avoid real work, these people are sadly just wasting their own time in the end, albeit they are having fun; but it's not worth getting into thousands of pounds worth of debt for.

Vocational qualifications go a long way towards developing yourself in that direction if it's what you want to achieve and these type of courses mostly do not involve continuing education onto university level. The other two options from my point of view are you either enter a line of work or industry of which you want to sculpt a career out of, and then start from the bottom and work your way up, old school style. However with the economy the way it is I doubt the majority of employers now would be willing to hire junior members of a team when they are having to make cutbacks and redundancies, so perhaps right now this pathway is not as viable as it once was. The last option is opening your own business, creating a product you want or simply becoming self employed if you are in a position to market any skills, whether already existing or in development.

I'm afraid that is all I can offer on the matter, I am only giving you examples that can relate to my own knowledge and personal experience. I think you are doing the right thing for questioning your future path though, a very wise thing to do.

A helpful post? On TSR?!?! Think you might be on the wrong boards mate, +1 for you.
Original post by TheSownRose
What do you think people did before uni was commonplace - spend their whole lives in some version of arrested development, forever stuck as an adolescent? :rolleyes:

Infact I'd say university does that to people to some extent - especially when they're on 4/5/6-year courses.
Original post by JohnC2211
A helpful post? On TSR?!?! Think you might be on the wrong boards mate, +1 for you.

Wait? It was helpful?! Good lord what have I done?!! Noooooooooo.

Haha, joking aside, thank you for the rep and your kind comment. :wink:
Reply 33
What do you think people did before uni was commonplace - spend their whole lives in some version of arrested development, forever stuck as an adolescent? :rolleyes:

i hope your referring to the show :biggrin:
people who went to uni and did **** / had no friends will slate it, people who did great and got a good job at the end will love it. everybody is different and like somebody earlier in the thread said it depends on motivation and personal circumstances etc. uni can get you where you want to be if you work hard enough and put your self about with work exp and all that jazz :smile:
One of the things that came out of Uni for me was escpaing the small town I grew up in and moving to a new city. But as a previous poster said, if Academia isn't for you make sure you at least move away from home to a new place, that way you will still be gaining some of the 'life exepriences' students do.
Original post by vn2009
i hope your referring to the show :biggrin:

What show? :confused:
Original post by Gaeilgeoir
Yes, if one has a mint out in the garage.

Haha, true. I really wish I was minted right now, then I'd just go travelling for ages. It's a dream of mine, to visit many other countries in the world :daydreaming:

What show? :confused:

There's a TV programme called Arrested Development. I don't really know much about it myself either, haha I only heard of it from a TSR thread.
Haha, true. I really wish I was minted right now, then I'd just go travelling for ages. It's a dream of mine, to visit many other countries in the world :daydreaming:

Haha, me too. It's good to have dreams though. I hope it comes true for you. xD
Original post by Gaeilgeoir
Haha, me too. It's good to have dreams though. I hope it comes true for you. xD

Thanks. You too :smile:

Though, when I do start work, it's gonna be a tough choice between saving money up for travelling first, or saving up for a car (Fiat 500 :love:) plus insurance and all that expensive jazz...

If only I ever won one of those competitions for big money. I can only dream :daydreaming:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending