The Student Room Group

C4 Integration

I had this question which asked me to integrate something using the substitution:

u2=2x1 u^2 = 2x -1

The current x limits were 5 and 1, so the u limits would be +3,+1 \frac {+}{} 3 , \frac {+}{} 1 .

The question "worked", and I got the right answer, using 3 and 1, so why can you just discount the negative 3 and 1?

Thanks.
Reply 1
It's just sloppy notation really. What you're really doing is substituting u=2x1u=\sqrt{2x-1} (which is valid since 2x102x-1 \ge 0 between 1 and 5). This is the positive root, hence why you use 1 and 3; then we just use the fact that u2=2x1u^2=2x-1 to make the substitution simpler.
Reply 2
Original post by nuodai
It's just sloppy notation really. What you're really doing is substituting u=2x1u=\sqrt{2x-1} (which is valid since 2x102x-1 \ge 0 between 1 and 5). This is the positive root, hence why you use 1 and 3; then we just use the fact that u2=2x1u^2=2x-1 to make the substitution simpler.

Why is it u=2x1 u =\sqrt{2x-1} and not u=+2x1 u = \frac {+}{} \sqrt {2x-1} ? Why does it have to be the positive root we are taking?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by H3rrW4rum
Why is it u=2x1 u =\sqrt{2x-1} and not u=+2x1 u = \frac {+}{} \sqrt {2x-1} ? Why does it have to be the positive root we are taking?

It doesn't, but if you let u=2x1u=-\sqrt{2x-1} then you'd get some other minus signs popping up that end up cancelling out, giving you the same answer.

As a simple example, take 152x+1dx\displaystyle \int_1^5 \sqrt{2x+1}\, dx. The substitution u=2x+1u=\sqrt{2x+1} gives 13u.2udu=132u2du\displaystyle \int_1^3 u . 2u\, du = \int_1^3 2u^2\, du. However, the substitution u=2x+1u=-\sqrt{2x+1} gives 13(u).2udu=132u2du=312u2du\displaystyle \int_{-1}^{-3} (-u) . 2u\, du = -\int_{-1}^{-3} 2u^2\, du = \int_{-3}^{-1} 2u^2\, du. These both give you the same thing; in fact, in the latter case you can make a further substitution u=vu=-v and you end up with 132v2dv\displaystyle \int_1^3 2v^2\, dv, which is exactly the same as before but with u relabelled as v.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by nuodai
It doesn't, but if you let u=2x1u=-\sqrt{2x-1} then you'd get some other minus signs popping up that end up cancelling out, giving you the same answer.

As a simple example, take 152x+1dx\displaystyle \int_1^5 \sqrt{2x+1}\, dx. The substitution u=2x+1u=\sqrt{2x+1} gives 13u.2udu=132u2du\displaystyle \int_1^3 u . 2u\, du = \int_1^3 2u^2\, du. However, the substitution u=2x+1u=-\sqrt{2x+1} gives 13(u).2udu=132u2du=312u2du\displaystyle \int_{-1}^{-3} (-u) . 2u\, du = -\int_{-1}^{-3} 2u^2\, du = \int_{-3}^{-1} 2u^2\, du. These both give you the same thing; in fact, in the latter case you can make a further substitution u=vu=-v and you end up with 132v2dv\displaystyle \int_1^3 2v^2\, dv, which is exactly the same as before but with u relabelled as v.

Ok so if they gave you it in the sloppy notation, how would you know whether to take the +ve or -ve? I am fairly certain in C4 it will always simply be the +ve, but it just annoyed me :P I guess you could just change it from u^2 to u...
Reply 5
Original post by H3rrW4rum
Ok so if they gave you it in the sloppy notation, how would you know whether to take the +ve or -ve? I am fairly certain in C4 it will always simply be the +ve, but it just annoyed me :P I guess you could just change it from u^2 to u...

As I just showed you, it doesn't matter whether you take the positive or negative root for the substitution, as long as the sign you pick for the limits matches the sign you pick for the substitution. It just strikes me as making more work for yourself if you pick the negative root, unless your function had lots of minus signs in the right places.
Reply 6
Original post by nuodai
As I just showed you, it doesn't matter whether you take the positive or negative root for the substitution, as long as the sign you pick for the limits matches the sign you pick for the substitution. It just strikes me as making more work for yourself if you pick the negative root, unless your function had lots of minus signs in the right places.

Thanks Nuodai,

Rep'd
Reply 7
Ah just went back to the original question and the denominator of the integral was

(2x1) \sqrt(2x - 1)

So they obviously want us to take the positive root, and simply change this to "u".

Quick Reply

Latest