The Student Room Group

For all you anti gun hoplophobes on here

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hardballer
what the hell do you mean probably won't? those 14 year old kids had guns in the article did they not? I'm glad you're so quick to rely on luck and faith in the mercy of criminals. what about knives? how we meant to defend ourself against a knife? its not like we can even own cs spray or stun guns so how we meant to defend ourselves against a knife attack if we can't even carry a similiar object around without being charged with possessing an offensive weapon

what planet you on bro? Germany tried to invade Britain, it was called the battle of britain

There are SO FEW guns in the UK, that it's silly to justify making them completely legal to carry based on "needing to defend yourself against guns". Making this legal will just mean ALL of the criminals will have guns, rather then a tiny minority like now.

what planet you on bro? Germany tried to invade Britain, it was called the battle of britain

Planet Earth. They certainly intended to try but they didn't invade, and the Battle of Britain was a pre-cursor to an invasion - not an attempted invasion.
Reply 342
Original post by Emaemmaemily
There are SO FEW guns in the UK, that it's silly to justify making them completely legal to carry based on "needing to defend yourself against guns". Making this legal will just mean ALL of the criminals will have guns, rather then a tiny minority like now.

You're saying one thing yet this news article here says otherwise

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/up-to-4m-guns-in-uk-and-police-are-losing-the-battle-505487.html

thats more than enough to arm every criminal in the country
You're saying one thing yet this news article here says otherwise

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/up-to-4m-guns-in-uk-and-police-are-losing-the-battle-505487.html

thats more than enough to arm every criminal in the country

And yet, there are hardly any crimes commited with guns...
It's all hype.
Original post by GwrxVurfer
Anyone can get their hands on a knife and use that to kill/attempted murder. I'd feel far more comfortable having a Glock to defend myself. And as it is for self-defence, the only people who have reason to be scared of it are those who wish to cause the owner criminal harm.

Emae, you say that the police have reason to carry guns for their safety in situations like the Raoul Moat confrontation. But the only person Raoul Moat killed was a civilian, and the first two people he shot were civilians. Moat never hurt an armed police officer, and yet he blinded an unarmed police officer. Perhaps you should ask yourself why he didn't "just go on a shooting rampage" at the armed officers, despite having gone on a shooting rampage at unarmed civilians and unarmed officers. Could this be an example of the deterrence theory in action?

The criminal was armed, so according to you he was easily able to "just go wildly shooting people" which you allege would happen even if everyone else was armed. But the only people he attacked were unarmed. Do you seriously still question why that is?

I've said nothing about "just going wildly shooting people"... Ever.

I've also not mentioned Raoul Moat.
Guns are SO uncommonly used in crimes here... Not enough to justify needing one yourself to defend yourself against it.
And I've explained how it's much easier to escape someone with a knife than a gun. Obviously not always possible, but much easier.
Could this be an example of the deterrence theory in action?

It doesn't seem likely. He committed suicide so he wasn't afraid to die, and he must have known that he would eventually be caught when he started on his murder spree. More likely is that he knew he would be caught and was either remorseful enough to kill himself (which seems a bit unlikely) or didn't want to give the forces of law and order the satisfaction of putting him away. Another other possibility is that he had become insane, of course.
Indeed for a laxation of firearms rules we would need some stringent security checks. A psychological examination, a weapons handling test EVERY 6 months for each class of weapon owned, a home visit from a firearms officer to ensure premises are secure, EVERY WEAPON should have a ballistic reference on the police database (Bullet finger prints), additional licence for a conceal carry weapon, and three or more referee's of a respectable profession.

I like how this thread degenerated into a slanging match, no wonder we cant even carry a stick down the street anymore.
Reply 347
but what if we used the same licencing system as here but also allowed for self dfence that way?

How would one go about proving that the reason to own an FAC controlled firearm is for self defence? Self defence with a registered firearm is already a very murky legal area with an unsure future...

If we made self defence a valid reason for owning a firearm it would be somewhat of a moot point. Currently to own a firearm you need a firearms safe and a lock box which you store your ammunition separately. The current system does not allow for very quick or easy access of legal guns- so even if self defence was a valid reason to purchase one it would be ineffective for that purpose.

So really you need to change the law to allow for concealed carry of handguns- something that is fankly (and rightly so) not going to happen in the forseeable future.

In which case if your THAT concerned about self defence and believe yourself to be at THAT much risk you can purchase a crossbow that outputs 120ft/lbs without any problem (4ft/lbs is recognised at lethal under 10m).

If we made it easier to purchase guns how many people would buy them 'just cause'?
Reply 348
There is no such thing as a "conceal carry weapon", they are ordinary weapons that you carry around on you hidden from view.

All guns must be transported concealed from view when in public. ie a gunslip- However carrying one must have justification such as returning from a hunt, or a range. Not on the off chance you mightv popped in to the range.

I think this refers to the additional license needed to currently carry (generally a handgun) concealed from view with no just cause (because self defence is not a just cause). It is reserved for very specific circumstances related to policing and military purposes.

The important thing to learn from all of this is that the deterrent works.

That is a ridiculous thing to claim from those circumstances. How you can draw that conclusion - that the officers being armed acted as a deterrence to Moat shooting them - baffles me. Deterrence relies on the perpetrator being himself afraid to be hurt or die, and Moat quite clearly wasn't. How you can ascribe definite motives to someone who died is also beyond me - unless you have access to his spirit from beyond the grave, of course. If you expect your arguments to be taken seriously (and I don't mean just here on TSR) you'll need to think things through more carefully and analyse the evidence more analytically.

I think that debunks the absurd claim that everyone having guns will somehow increase casualties.

Again, not thought through. This is a preposterous claim and completely devalues any credibility you might have earned, which wasn't much. Clearly, there wouldn't be fewer casualties if there were more guns, as the same ones that are out there now would still be there. More people would be likely to have them and it beggars belief that this wouldn't give more people an opportunity for both deliberate murder and also, just as importantly, accidents. Hence, there would inevitably be more casualies. Now, you might argue about the scale of the increase or whether the extra damage can be justified, but nobody in their right mind would argue that putting more dangerous items (of whatever nature) into circulation in the same society would lead to a rise in injuries and deaths.
Haven't bothered to read the whole tedious thread, so this point may have already been made, but:

Almost every household owns a gun in Switzerland, yet gun crime there is almost non-existent.

Things are not always as simple as they seem.

Saying that, the OP is obviously a ****wit.
That's seems fine. I'd take firearm handling tests whether or not they were compulsory. I'd be happy with current firearm legislation (The bit about licenses and ballistic numbers) IF "self-defence" was finally accepted as good reason to own, and carry one.

There is no such thing as a "conceal carry weapon", they are ordinary weapons that you carry around on you hidden from view. Would the requirements for a concealed carry license be different to the requirements for a ownership license, and if so, what would they be?

The gun itself adds additional security to the house, but precisely what do you mean by "secure"? I wouldn't sleep with a pistol loaded and under my pillow if that's what you mean, although I'd likely have one in the room.

A conceal carry weapon licence means you can carry the said weapon "concealed" and in america you need this licence to carry the gun on your persons, and not left in your vehicle or home.

Indeed for self defence normal safety rules may not be applicable :s usually all weapons should be stored unloaded in a locked gun cabinet bolted to the wall.

However, in the interest of self defence leaving a weapon un cocked and with the safety engaged would suffice.

Also weapons usable for self defence would have to be appropriate. No doubt someone will want a "Desert eagle .50ae" or a "Nitro Mag .500" In urban areas it should be law that frangibles or hollowpoints are mandatory in pistol calibres and only buckshot is allowed in shotguns. Rifles should be at allowed for home defence with calibre and ammo types at the discretion of the local government
Reply 353

Also theft at rifle ranges is quite common. More prolific in america HOWEVER i have heard of it in the UK. Shooting into the night isnt uncommon and when the range is fairly empty they wait for you to empty your magazine (not an issue with single shots) then come and 'stick you up' with their gun. Which may not be loaded but who wants to take that risk!?

I visit an outdoor range where if you leave your rifle people wander from the sides and simply take them. Uncommon when everyone knows what rifles belongs to who, but it has happened.
Original post by L-J-B
All guns must be transported concealed from view when in public. ie a gunslip- However carrying one must have justification such as returning from a hunt, or a range. Not on the off chance you mightv popped in to the range.

I think this refers to the additional license needed to currently carry (generally a handgun) concealed from view with no just cause (because self defence is not a just cause). It is reserved for very specific circumstances related to policing and military purposes.

good job sir :biggrin: And another thing for the other guy. Companies do manufacture conceal carry weapons such as the ASP(**** off call of duty fans) which has been specially made with no protruding parts, the S&W bodyguard series are hammerless double action revolver, made hammerless so that the operator can stick it close into the asailant whilst engaged with fists and knives and such, without obstructing the hammer, and thus preventing the weapons action from failing to actuate:tongue:
Reply 355
Just to throw it into the mix, how about RAM air pistols (legal to buy and used to train people how to use handguns as they have similar recoil). They fire .43 callibre rubber balls pretty hard (200mps i think but correct me if im wrong). Under 10m (an effective pistol range unless your in range like circumstances) thatd give your attacker something to think about? And it is generally not lethal.

And I've said never point the gun at something you do not intend to destroy, and never touch the trigger until you have a confirmed target lined-up. If you follow those common sense gun safety rules, and still manage to cause a death, it is no longer classed an "accident", you are intentionally shooting at that point.

Here are some gun accidents where the shooter seems to follow your foolproof safety rules:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okzKO8x6XGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr3zlll0prA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7GyYrJMd4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqJ78sGIPk

http://www.draftsmen.com/videos-gun-accident-%5BRtV0l-m4i4M%5D.cfm

Even you must agree that some these were dangerous situations that only avoided injury by sheer good luck. If nothing else, these videos illustrate how ownership of weapons does not guarantee either intelligent use of them or even commonsense around them.
Reply 357
Original post by teadrinker
Haven't bothered to read the whole tedious thread, so this point may have already been made, but:

Almost every household owns a gun in Switzerland, yet gun crime there is almost non-existent.

Things are not always as simple as they seem.

Saying that, the OP is obviously a ****wit.

you douchebag! I only read the first two sentences before repping you! :mad:
backstabbed me on the last line :mad:
and yeh I'm obviously a @{*wit
Reply 358
Original post by Good bloke
Here are some gun accidents where the shooter seems to follow your foolproof safety rules:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okzKO8x6XGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr3zlll0prA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7GyYrJMd4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqJ78sGIPk

http://www.draftsmen.com/videos-gun-accident-%5BRtV0l-m4i4M%5D.cfm

Even you must agree that some these were dangerous situations that only avoided injury by sheer good luck. If nothing else, these videos illustrate how ownership of weapons does not guarantee either intelligent use of them or even commonsense around them.

the first video is an excerpt from a video of people testing a very high calibre rifle, what happened wasn't an accident as they knew beforehand the recoil may knock them off balance, and it was a bolt action weapon so only one shot would be forced before it gets cocked manually. Sure people have to careful with full autos but cars are dangerous as well and people use them irresponsibly, lets ban them? fourth video down is hilarious
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 359
Please stop using Switzerland as an example in favour of anti-gun control opinions. It does not work, especially when comparing the situation in the country to large nations with different societies like the US & UK. There are also many gun laws in Switzerland people know little of.

Saying Switzerland is awash with guns is true, but the vast majority of the weapons are military-issues rifles. To obtain them you have to participate in compulsory military service a very long tradition in Swiss Cantons with no history US or the UK. Indeed, this is what I believe the second amendment alluded to not the almost unregulated sale of weapons to the general public. Discipline with weapons is drilled into you during service if you haven’t already got it from your parents.

Leading on, there is gun control in Switzerland. You need to carry a licence (and all the background checks and registration that entails) to own a non-military firearm like a hunting rifle or a pistol. Indeed, handgun ownership in Switzerland is tightly regulated and ownership rates are very low it is rifle ownership which is high. It is semi-automatic and easily concealable pistols which cause most of the gun-related deaths in western countries.

I should also add that in the last few years, the military no longer gives soldiers ammunition for their military rifles (popular referendum backed this move). You can only buy it and then use it up on the same day at the shooting range. Indeed, you can’t go into the woods and shoot a few rounds with either your rifle or pistol it has to be at supervised designated ranges which are open at specific times during the week. Hunts with hunting rifles are also highly regulated affairs with specific quotas, dates and standards set annually by cantonal authorities.

Any Swiss you ask will not correlate high gun ownership with low crime rates. One very seldom carries firearms in public (only to the shooting range if at all) and they are not considered deterrents against criminals. The answers you’d receive are socio-economic. It helps having a small, very wealthy and highly educated population with an efficient and effective government & policing. Moreover, I would say there is a culture of respect for firearms and firearm safety in Switzerland ingrained into the national culture which is non-existent in the US.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending