The Student Room Group

UK student paying overseas fee

I'm a first-year undergrad student who is paying overseas fee even though I am a British Citizen.

The reason being for that is that I have not lived in the UK in the past three years and this is true because I have lived in Hong Kong prior to university.

Is there a way I can change my fee status, or perhaps receiving student loans? Is the Citizens Advice Bureau a good place to start for me to contact?

I don't want my parents paying astronomical fees per year as my parents may soon run out of money:frown::frown::frown:
Reply 1
No way at all, and it will be this way for the duration of your course.
Reply 2
Right, if I were to consider to restart my undergrad degree in Switzerland or Germany or any other EU country, will they treat me as a home student?
Hmm. Not too sure if you can change unless you change university this year, but you would have to apply for the next cycle, and in that case the home fees would be a lot higher anyway and it wouldnt be for certain you would get home fees.

I have also not lived in the UK the past three years (living in asia), but before applying to universities I emailed and checked what fees I would pay. All of manchester, leeds, nottingham and UCL offered me home status. It helps if you:
- have/had property in the UK
- your parents are overseas on a temporary contract
- you can prove UK is basically your 'home' e.g. evidence of flights there in the holidays etc
Reply 4
Original post by francescafrancesca
Hmm. Not too sure if you can change unless you change university this year, but you would have to apply for the next cycle, and in that case the home fees would be a lot higher anyway and it wouldnt be for certain you would get home fees.

I have also not lived in the UK the past three years (living in asia), but before applying to universities I emailed and checked what fees I would pay. All of manchester, leeds, nottingham and UCL offered me home status. It helps if you:
- have/had property in the UK
- your parents are overseas on a temporary contract
- you can prove UK is basically your 'home' e.g. evidence of flights there in the holidays etc

cheers, although it can't help me but this really helps for my younger siblings.

I feel like a cash slave in the UK for paying overseas fee despite my parents have paid British taxes in the past.

What if these three "if's" are applied to the EU, e.g. have/had a property in the EU?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by kensingtongome
cheers, although it can't help me but this really helps for my younger siblings.

I feel like a cash slave in the UK for paying overseas fee despite my parents have paid British taxes in the past.

What if these three "if's" are applied to the EU, e.g. have/had a property in the EU?

I'm not too sure really, no one can give you a definite answer because it's independent to each university (can be offered home fees from some and international for others).
Although I don't think having a property in the EU carries that much weight since property in the uk --> taxes on that property --> UK unis.

Anyway, good luck getting home fees for your siblings.
Reply 6
I'm a first-year undergrad student who is paying overseas fee even though I am a British Citizen.

The reason being for that is that I have not lived in the UK in the past three years and this is true because I have lived in Hong Kong prior to university.

Is there a way I can change my fee status, or perhaps receiving student loans? Is the Citizens Advice Bureau a good place to start for me to contact?

I don't want my parents paying astronomical fees per year as my parents may soon run out of money:frown::frown::frown:

Are you a Chinese Passport holder as well? Do you have a Hong Kong stamp or Visa showing that you have been living overseas for 3 years? If not, they how would they know that you have been living abroad for 3 years?

As an EU Citizen, you have a legal right to be treated as a national of the EU Country that you are in, and it is not dependent on whether you have been living in your own country (UK) or not. So, bearing this in mind, you should be able to go to Germany or France and pay either nothing or very very low fees, if you can speak the language. Good luck.
Reply 7
They would know because it is a requirement for the student to declare it in their application. It also has to be confirmed by the passport.

False declaration will result in being made ineligible, and could have more serious ramifications.
Reply 8

i'm in the same boat as you but I think as soon as you start paying international fees you can't switch to home..
Reply 9
Original post by Neelam1982
Are you a Chinese Passport holder as well? Do you have a Hong Kong stamp or Visa showing that you have been living overseas for 3 years? If not, they how would they know that you have been living abroad for 3 years?

As an EU Citizen, you have a legal right to be treated as a national of the EU Country that you are in, and it is not dependent on whether you have been living in your own country (UK) or not. So, bearing this in mind, you should be able to go to Germany or France and pay either nothing or very very low fees, if you can speak the language. Good luck.

No, I don't hold a Chinese Hong Kong passport, yet I have permanent residency in Hong Kong thus there are no stamps in my British passport.

(pity Hong Kong was forced by some aggressive Chinese officials to become a Chinese overseas territory (The Chinese officials are jealous of the British territory's wealth status) otherwise the problem could of been eliminated:angry::angry::angry:)

Cheers for the info btw!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Dibs_anim
i'm in the same boat as you but I think as soon as you start paying international fees you can't switch to home..

I found this article:
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/fees_student_support.php#become_home_student

worth to try it albeit chance is slim...
No, I don't hold a Chinese Hong Kong passport, yet I have permanent residency in Hong Kong thus there are no stamps in my British passport.

(pity Hong Kong was forced by some aggressive Chinese officials to become a Chinese overseas territory (The Chinese officials are jealous of the British territory's wealth status) otherwise the problem could of been eliminated:angry::angry::angry:)

Cheers for the info btw!

Welcome :biggrin:

Although there may be serious 'ramifications' if you were found out that you lived outside the UK for three years, there is no way, I can see that they would find out....
So let's all cheat then eh?
Reply 13
There are many ways the SLC check this out. But they're not going to be revealed, because in doing so, it would make it open to fraud, such as what has been proposed here.
Original post by hypocriticaljap
So let's all cheat then eh?

not really,

it just sucks that the UK fee system puts EU citizens (non-UK taxpayers study) on top of UK citizens (being a UK taxpayer at some point)

Looking at the numbers, a huge amount of EU students study in the UK every year with home fees, while British citizens living abroad (outside the EU) who are returning home for study are just minority yet they don't have right to be treated as home students

(It is a right for all EU citizens to be charged with home fee when studying in the UK)
(edited 13 years ago)
not really,

it just sucks that the UK fee system puts EU citizens (non-UK taxpayers) on top of UK citizens (being a UK taxpayer at some point)

It quite rightly puts net contributors to the EU before someone whose family once upon a time may have paid taxes but haven't contributed a penny to the EU for years. You knew the T&Cs when you signed up. If you couldn't afford it you shouldn't have committed.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
my case is the opposite of yours tho i have lived in uk 3 years before i started uni and now have my british citizenship.....wondering if i would be eligible for home fees?
Original post by EvilSheep
my case is the opposite of yours tho i have lived in uk 3 years before i started uni and now have my british citizenship.....wondering if i would be eligible for home fees?

Assuming your starting university in September then you should be.
Reply 18
What if you are a british citizen who has not been living in the uk for the past three years

BUT

your sibling is also a british citizen who has been living in the uk for his whole life (paying uk taxes though for a rental property).

Doesn't that count for anything? Why does it always have to be the PARENTS who need to be paying taxes there?

Cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending